Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

18 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Yes.  This is truly an unusual, positive thread.  Sanity, humor, and the ability to laugh at ourselves makes a mix no other thread I've seen can match.  Plus, food!  So glad you're all here, & Jeff for starting this, and a tip of the hat to Mysty and now @Lauranne for Canada carrying us on.

Now, this past summer (would it PLEASE be past, too da** hot!) we visited Ireland for the 1st time and had some delicious soda bread - admittedly slathered in excellent butter - and would like to experience it again.  I've already bought a bottle of Jameson's which, as I recall, had something to do with my enjoyment on at least one occasion.  But, if anyone knows about this soda bread, would appreciate assistance in recreating it here in Virginia.

QSS,

What a lovely post.  

What it says to me is that a “yank” (are we allowed this well meaning endearment in these  hyper-sensitive times) can visit such a lovely totally underestimated part of the homeland and appreciate it’s pleasures.  The secret is that it is all about the people and what it has made them from their struggles. Soda bread.  How delicious and simple  …. and quick.   A bit like me so my wife says. 😉

I tried to understand single malts.  From Scotland.  I tried to understand  and persevered with bourbons.  But Jamiesons ….. that needs no perseverence.

Thanks again.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everybody has their own recipe for soda bread.  The best I ever had was from an Irish-American friend who got it from a Latino woman he met on a bus!  That's America!!!

And yes, @UKCruiseJeff, we're happy to be called Yanks – except those of us from South of the Mason-Dixon line [and maybe Boston Red Sox fans...]  😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lauranne said:

His char siu and bao buns are a thing of joy and beauty.

I think your hubs deserves a second opinion and as such, I’m offering my taste test services down here below the 41st parallel north.  I’ll pair it with a perfect Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and yes Que, they’ll be enough wine for you to have your traditional number of servings. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I also must chime in with thanks to all the cooler contributors and especially to our leader the ever so gracious Miss M for keeping this positive and happy place alive during some dark days. THANKS COOLERS!

Thanks @highplanesdrifters!  I certainly don't consider myself a leader.  More like a mouthy,  sassy foot soldier!  😅  I do echo your thanks to all the Coolers, those who dip their toes in when the spirit (or the spirits 😁 ) move them and the lurkers!  Cheers all!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Back home last night after our eleven-day adventure in the Canada Maritime Provinces. Love Canada (except for Toronto's sprawling/confusing airport).  Explored Halifax (wonderful city!), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc.   Great weather, nice people, wonderful history and sights, excellent seafood, dramatic shorelines, etc., etc.  Will share more later in the week, including some visuals.  

Good questions to consider for doing a Tauck/bus tour as we did versus covering these wonderful areas via a cruise ship.  Trade-offs!!??  There were only 22 of us in this group tour which was by design and fortunately compared to being in a group of 35-45 people.  With this type of coach travel, however, you can go much more in-depth with cities such as Halifax and on Cape Breton, etc.  But, the on-and-off of a coach and multiple un-packs and pack-ups gets tiring/challenging.  

Good news?  Nobody had Covid during our travels and we arrived back home with no medical issues.  Like on a cruise ship, our coach tour had vaccinated people in close contact over many days.  Happy to answer any questions and share more about the highly-enjoyable Canada Maritimes.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,829 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 6

Coolerists -

I heartily concur that this very obscure little corner of the interwebs continues to be that rare thing - a place where people from all over the world can share a virtual pint and talk about everything and nothing.  Without resorting to fisticuffs!  I'm reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's description of his TV show as being a show about nothing.  Nothing can be interesting.  I read once that Leo Tolstoy belonged to an informal club, in his teenage years, to be a member of which you had to stand on a certain street corner in Moscow for an hour and not think about a white bear.  I come to this corner and don't think about any of several unpleasant things, at least for a few minutes a day.  

When I'm tottering at the brink of my personal 6' deep hole, and thinking back about the covid times from early 2020 on, I will remember this forum as a rare bright spot in a darkening world.  As they say, "Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket??"  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Coolerists -

I heartily concur that this very obscure little corner of the interwebs continues to be that rare thing - a place where people from all over the world can share a virtual pint and talk about everything and nothing.  Without resorting to fisticuffs!  I'm reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's description of his TV show as being a show about nothing.  Nothing can be interesting.  I read once that Leo Tolstoy belonged to an informal club, in his teenage years, to be a member of which you had to stand on a certain street corner in Moscow for an hour and not think about a white bear.  I come to this corner and don't think about any of several unpleasant things, at least for a few minutes a day.  

When I'm tottering at the brink of my personal 6' deep hole, and thinking back about the covid times from early 2020 on, I will remember this forum as a rare bright spot in a darkening world.  As they say, "Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket??"  

Will Work, your mention of Jerry Seinfeld's description of his TV show as it relates to the Cooler is spot on!  And I often stand in the corner of the Cooler Bar and "not think" about what lingers outside the doors.

• Like 4

My joy for this week will be introducing friends to the wonders of Black Tartan Kitchen this weekend.  A new menu is on offer for the blind tasting 7 course meal starting on Friday.  It is considered a "blind" tasting menu because the advance information is presented in the form of a crossword puzzle.  It's always part of the adventure to try to complete the puzzle and get hints on the offerings.....

Capture.JPG.9527f76046ccf31da031fdfafe67527a.JPG

The clue numbers relate to the course order.  For those who enjoy crosswords I think you may find this a challenge.  😀

Edited by mysty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Coolers,

For those not of a currently British disposition or heritage we have a new Prime Minister and a fuel crisis and eagerly waiting to hear of our new leaders cunning plans to save us from freezing penuric Armageddon.  

Long-term inmates will know of my squint-eyed idiotic log obsessions and I thought I’d share a picture of our brand new additional fully stocked log store (we now have two …. 😊) …. as well as an item in today’s times.  I hope it kindles (see what I did ….. ) interest!

C8531FD3-BCCD-41D6-BCB9-E6506E99B28D.jpeg

BEA914D6-AA8B-4AF6-AFB5-1353EBC2BBE8.png

Energy crisis? I am stockpiling wood for winter  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/energy-crisis-i-am-stockpiling-wood-for-winter-svfshrslv?shareToken=8534d6b86d52bacd912d7d2f5911bb50

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Morning Coolers,

For those not of a currently British disposition or heritage we have a new Prime Minister and a fuel crisis and eagerly waiting to hear of our new leaders cunning plans to save us from freezing penuric Armageddon.  

Long-term inmates will know of my squint-eyed idiotic log obsessions and I thought I’d share a picture of our brand new additional fully stocked log store (we now have two …. 😊) …. as well as an item in today’s times.  I hope it kindles (see what I did ….. ) interest!

C8531FD3-BCCD-41D6-BCB9-E6506E99B28D.jpeg

BEA914D6-AA8B-4AF6-AFB5-1353EBC2BBE8.png

Energy crisis? I am stockpiling wood for winter  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/energy-crisis-i-am-stockpiling-wood-for-winter-svfshrslv?shareToken=8534d6b86d52bacd912d7d2f5911bb50

A very good likeness of you Jeff with your chopper in your hand as usual.

Have your insurance company been informed of the added fire risk.