Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 hours ago, mysty said:

317314570_508343201321058_4014202282241706842_n.jpg.ec1314f55515f28ee32f73ee1fa4cd4f.jpg

8 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I prefer the marshmallow harvest myself

82CE36D2-4FB6-4F91-B8B9-FB482804F957.jpeg

I would have killed to have the luxury of either of these hay bales. On the farm where I grew up, we eschewed such conveniences and did it the old-fashioned way, with regular hay bales. About 12-14,000 per year, 50-60# each. Every freakin' year! And I had to handle each one at least twice. At least once while going into the haymow. And once more, taking it out to feed it to the cows. I guess it was a good core workout, before that kind of thing got popular?

Well we got home from Finland Thursday night after a really great trip. Flights worked well and no major delays. Schipol was a cakewalk; we went from gate to gate in 20 minutes, even though we had to go through passport control in between. Very smooth.

Unfortunately there were some "cat"astrophes awaiting us at home. One of the fish bit it and that made a bit of a mess in the aquarium. Nothing more fun than digging a rotten dead fish carcass out of the aquarium after a few days' worth of decomposition... While being utterly exhausted after traveling for 18+ hours!

But the worst part is that the cat almost didn't survive our absence. She had a surgical procedure while we were away and that had gone well, and she came back home seemingly doing very well. But inexplicably, she stopped eating a few days before we got home and the pet sitter didn't find her until Wednesday, after probably 3 days with no intake at all.

Sounded like she was on her last legs at that point and we are very lucky that our emergency contact is a vet tech. So she pulled out all the stops, on Thanksgiving Eve no less, and nursed the ill kitty back to health over the next 36 hours. Miraculous that this 21-year-old cat seems to be out of the woods now but I don't think she would have made it without our friend's help. We owe her big time.

Today we put up a few Christmas lights outside, and bought a really nice tree to decorate tomorrow! Funny, after being up in the far north of Finland, it seems really light here! Sunset at 4:30? Wow - that's a lot of daylight! 😄

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I would have killed to have the luxury of either of these hay bales. On the farm where I grew up, we eschewed such conveniences and did it the old-fashioned way, with regular hay bales. About 12-14,000 per year, 50-60# each. Every freakin' year! And I had to handle each one at least twice. At least once while going into the haymow. And once more, taking it out to feed it to the cows. I guess it was a good core workout, before that kind of thing got popular?

Well we got home from Finland Thursday night after a really great trip. Flights worked well and no major delays. Schipol was a cakewalk; we went from gate to gate in 20 minutes, even though we had to go through passport control in between. Very smooth.

Unfortunately there were some "cat"astrophes awaiting us at home. One of the fish bit it and that made a bit of a mess in the aquarium. Nothing more fun than digging a rotten dead fish carcass out of the aquarium after a few days' worth of decomposition... While being utterly exhausted after traveling for 18+ hours!

But the worst part is that the cat almost didn't survive our absence. She had a surgical procedure while we were away and that had gone well, and she came back home seemingly doing very well. But inexplicably, she stopped eating a few days before we got home and the pet sitter didn't find her until Wednesday, after probably 3 days with no intake at all.

Sounded like she was on her last legs at that point and we are very lucky that our emergency contact is a vet tech. So she pulled out all the stops, on Thanksgiving Eve no less, and nursed the ill kitty back to health over the next 36 hours. Miraculous that this 21-year-old cat seems to be out of the woods now but I don't think she would have made it without our friend's help. We owe her big time.

Today we put up a few Christmas lights outside, and bought a really nice tree to decorate tomorrow! Funny, after being up in the far north of Finland, it seems really light here! Sunset at 4:30? Wow - that's a lot of daylight! 😄

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

So Sorry to hear this JP. I Hope she makes it. We had a 20 year old that suffered from dementia and was on his last legs for another 3 years. He lived his best life till his last day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I Know these are strange times and I am extremely sympathetic to businesses that have been through the mill over the last couple of years, as I have myself, but what on earth is going on at SS? Despite all of the reports of the problems with SS air, which I have never used and never will,  I’ve been receiving reports from a a good cruise buddy of mine of their recent very disappointing cruise. I, Myself tried to book a cruise for January, deciding to give them the benefit of the doubt after previous experiences but still wishing to support them and despite a couple of gentle prods, can’t even get a price from them after 2 weeks. Numerous excuses such as the cruise is waitlisted (which it isn’t) and they’ve had to refer to Monaco for a price are wearing a bit thin. A Little honesty has not been forthcoming. I Only considered returning to SS because it fitted in with my very narrow dates and I was willing to give them another chance but I have little time for smoke and mirrors. Are the recent crew jumps anything to do with their current lepus in lumaria policy? I’d so love to have another SS experience but I’m starting to believe it’s not going to happen. 

Edited by Daveywavey70
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Know these are strange times and I am extremely sympathetic to businesses that have been through the mill over the last couple of years, as I have myself, but what on earth is going on at SS? Despite all of the reports of the problems with SS air, which I have never used and never will,  I’ve been receiving reports from a a good cruise buddy of mine of their recent very disappointing cruise. I, Myself tried to book a cruise for January, deciding to give them the benefit of the doubt after previous experiences but still wishing to support them and despite a couple of gentle prods, can’t even get a price from them after 2 weeks. Numerous excuses such as the cruise is waitlisted (which it isn’t) and they’ve had to refer to Monaco for a price are wearing a bit thin. A Little honesty has not been forthcoming. I Only considered returning to SS because it fitted in with my very narrow dates and I was willing to give them another chance but I have little time for smoke and mirrors. Are the recent crew jumps anything to do with their current lepus in lumaria policy? I’d so love to have another SS experience but I’m starting to believe it’s not going to happen. 

Which one were you booking? I just booked Spirit Jan 5-19 this week without any problem. But friends who've been booked on it for sometime have now encountered such a problem that they may not be going.

Get yourself a Virtuoso agent  ,, OMG  we have had one from day 1  cruising  with SS  and have had NO problems what so  ever  !! 

NO .. that is actually  not true,  we did have a HUGE problem  once  with an  airline strike which  would  have caused us a lot of grief ....   but we were out to  dinner when  the excretment hit the fan,   so  when  we got home found an  email  from our TA  who  had sorted the problem !  and our trip   went ahead  as planned !

You also  get a few on board perks  !! 😅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TER777 said:

Which one were you booking? I just booked Spirit Jan 5-19 this week without any problem. But friends who've been booked on it for sometime have now encountered such a problem that they may not be going.

The following one on 19/1 or 1/19 as you’d say in the US of A. 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

So Sorry to hear this JP. I Hope she makes it. We had a 20 year old that suffered from dementia and was on his last legs for another 3 years. He lived his best life till his last day. 

Thanks DW, she's looking stronger this morning, and leaving her heated bed frequently to search for food. All encouraging signs! 🤞

I don't want her to get used to breakfast in bed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Get yourself a Virtuoso agent  ,, OMG  we have had one from day 1  cruising  with SS  and have had NO problems what so  ever  !! 

NO .. that is actually  not true,  we did have a HUGE problem  once  with an  airline strike which  would  have caused us a lot of grief ....   but we were out to  dinner when  the excretment hit the fan,   so  when  we got home found an  email  from our TA  who  had sorted the problem !  and our trip   went ahead  as planned !

You also  get a few on board perks  !! 😅

I got in trouble for talking about that!

• Haha 1

Happy Monday... back at it.

Here's the kitty, out of bed and eating yesterday. 

20221126_181549.thumb.jpg.f8f37253032f37b607709bed76258529.jpg

The other side isn't so pretty. That's a huge incision! At least half of her body length, but it seems to be healing well. Once her fur grows back it will look nicer.

20221127_125346.thumb.jpg.7e6fffae1e363dcd07c46487dc518ec7.jpg

She clomped all the way upstairs last night to sleep under our bed for a few hours. Then she wasn't able to get back down so she yowled and woke us up. Chris carried her down and fed her. I should try that some time.

A nicer picture of the completed tree, from yesterday evening. Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well. 

20221127_171850.thumb.jpg.9b9ddd2b7f7c2dd5aa602d93add2ada5.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Happy Monday... back at it.

Here's the kitty, out of bed and eating yesterday. 

20221126_181549.thumb.jpg.f8f37253032f37b607709bed76258529.jpg

The other side isn't so pretty. That's a huge incision! At least half of her body length, but it seems to be healing well. Once her fur grows back it will look nicer.

20221127_125346.thumb.jpg.7e6fffae1e363dcd07c46487dc518ec7.jpg

She clomped all the way upstairs last night to sleep under our bed for a few hours. Then she wasn't able to get back down so she yowled and woke us up. Chris carried her down and fed her. I should try that some time.

A nicer picture of the completed tree, from yesterday evening. Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well. 

20221127_171850.thumb.jpg.9b9ddd2b7f7c2dd5aa602d93add2ada5.jpg

Gorgeous tree JP!  Hope your little meow continues to recover well! 

• Thanks 1