Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

So reverting to my travel ambassador role for down under. For the previous 16 years I worked mainly in our southern state Tasmania. 
I worked there for 4 of the previous 5 Christmases. I never saw our Southern Aurora as good as it has been since Boxing Day this year. Some amazing pictures and the first 2 having a meteor as well as the Aurora. Enjoy.

B939A7C6-DE6D-45D5-ABDB-8A7708CDC999.jpeg.4185ce409515d23c7886ad031cbe431d.jpeg

539C71CC-8C45-4C0D-948A-8369C3932F3D.jpeg.b7e1c398e69ee2432284cee16e9530ae.jpeg

0E263FD1-22C8-459C-A110-5C79E75ED401.jpeg.100760447541a34646c0f4a08cfb9902.jpeg

2F8D6ABC-6A34-4537-AA73-B10D3FC501E5.jpeg.144fff41994ccf1ba131532bb2ab279d.jpeg

A6D97F09-0EA8-4FFE-AA34-108FB115DF2A.jpeg.4883f0386a93481ad1985f0d8904ead1.jpeg

83A69A79-066A-427C-AA89-25A9AC4C0F1D.jpeg.0c586b8c968205b2e46a0ae8d09f95b9.jpeg

D6CCFA6F-3FE5-4A17-8BD8-52384C94E815.jpeg.50c7f997b5f8c2195fb9738a713bab4e.jpeg

2FB785D1-33EC-4160-895B-B7FD5BB37A93.jpeg.540769caf0568c926a3ec656bb8d903c.jpeg

We will be in Hobart January 17, 18 ‘23. What are the chances we could see this?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zqtchas said:

We will be in Hobart January 17, 18 ‘23. What are the chances we could see this?  

I will post links when I get home in a week.

Now from previous posts you do some times frequent a dark place. They do have a private group - Aurora Australis Tasmania. You have to apply to join. That is where all those photos came from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see the aurora b in full glory on a clear, cold night, preferably on the poop deck of a cruise ship with a warming beverage in hand, and beloved spouse nearby.  In the mid 60's, during July in New Brunswick, Canada, presumably during a major solar storm, we saw a pretty nice display very late at night - all the locals said it was most unusual.  Nothing quite like it.  

Meanwhile, a man's gotta eat.  We've always thought Christmas eves was the real magic moment of Xmas - perhaps this comes from my childhood days, with compulsory attendance at church services, on Christmas eve with all the candles, hymns and carols, staying up later than bedtime, etc..  I told my DW this year we should keep the food thing simple, but good, for that magic night.  So, in the fall we attended local farmers market, and bought a bunch of beef bones, which went in the freezer.  In November I got them out, defrosted, and following JC's (Julia, not Jesus) teachings, roasted them with onions, celery, garlic & carrots, until well browned.  Slid all that good stuff into a big stock pot, deglazed the pan with vodka (works better than wine - it is the alcohol that cuts the congealed juices), added a bouquet garni, and simmered for 10 hours or so.  Degreased, and saved a whole bunch of wonderful beef broth in the freezer.  

On the big day (24th), thawed the broth, sautéed a bunch of onions (yellow & red) after slicing on mandoline (all finger tips still intact), in oil and butter, later added the broth and more long simmering, then added cognac & vermouth.  Finally, showtime!  Cut pieces of sourdough baguette, toasted and rubbed with garlic, covered with grated gruyere, and broiled until melted.  (Yes, this is a little different from bread on top and melted cheese seals the top.  Sorry.)  Bowls from wife's parents, used for this purpose for many years.  Finally, ladled the hot soup over and served, with simple salad greens (frisée) with oil & vinegar, and a bottle of nice pinot noir, or three.  A splendid time was had by all.   

Then opened a few small gifts, and had nice chocolate with the pinot.  Then off to bed, with visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads!  Photos below: Bones ready to roast, beef stock in the pot with aromatic vegetables, onions in the pot doing the very long, slow browning process, and finally, the finished soup.  A labor of love, worth all the trouble for those you care about.  Hope you all have a wonderful New Years, and indulge those you love, and give generously to those who aren't so lucky to be as comfortable as you/we are.  

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I'd love to see the aurora b in full glory on a clear, cold night, preferably on the poop deck of a cruise ship with a warming beverage in hand, and beloved spouse nearby.  In the mid 60's, during July in New Brunswick, Canada, presumably during a major solar storm, we saw a pretty nice display very late at night - all the locals said it was most unusual.  Nothing quite like it.  

Meanwhile, a man's gotta eat.  We've always thought Christmas eves was the real magic moment of Xmas - perhaps this comes from my childhood days, with compulsory attendance at church services, on Christmas eve with all the candles, hymns and carols, staying up later than bedtime, etc..  I told my DW this year we should keep the food thing simple, but good, for that magic night.  So, in the fall we attended local farmers market, and bought a bunch of beef bones, which went in the freezer.  In November I got them out, defrosted, and following JC's (Julia, not Jesus) teachings, roasted them with onions, celery, garlic & carrots, until well browned.  Slid all that good stuff into a big stock pot, deglazed the pan with vodka (works better than wine - it is the alcohol that cuts the congealed juices), added a bouquet garni, and simmered for 10 hours or so.  Degreased, and saved a whole bunch of wonderful beef broth in the freezer.  

On the big day (24th), thawed the broth, sautéed a bunch of onions (yellow & red) after slicing on mandoline (all finger tips still intact), in oil and butter, later added the broth and more long simmering, then added cognac & vermouth.  Finally, showtime!  Cut pieces of sourdough baguette, toasted and rubbed with garlic, covered with grated gruyere, and broiled until melted.  (Yes, this is a little different from bread on top and melted cheese seals the top.  Sorry.)  Bowls from wife's parents, used for this purpose for many years.  Finally, ladled the hot soup over and served, with simple salad greens (frisée) with oil & vinegar, and a bottle of nice pinot noir, or three.  A splendid time was had by all.   

Then opened a few small gifts, and had nice chocolate with the pinot.  Then off to bed, with visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads!  Photos below: Bones ready to roast, beef stock in the pot with aromatic vegetables, onions in the pot doing the very long, slow browning process, and finally, the finished soup.  A labor of love, worth all the trouble for those you care about.  Hope you all have a wonderful New Years, and indulge those you love, and give generously to those who aren't so lucky to be as comfortable as you/we are.  

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

Love this

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

…and following JC's (Julia, not Jesus) teachings…

And here I thought you just mistyped and meant the SS forum resident foodie, JP.

27 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

and a bottle of nice pinot noir, or three.

Que will be proud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Me too, I assumed jp's initials had been misytped.   However. WWFT's  meal certainly deserves its billing here.

I am just back from Christmas with my daughter and family; it was lovely to be with them and be cossetted.  I now need to detox for a while, especially considering the amount of wines I consumed.

So glad to see  Jeff back, even briefly -please keep in touch now and again; you are obviously reading this stuff sometimes.

I am hoping for a better year than this one;  mine was pretty awful but most people in the world had a   less than stellar one, thinking in particular of the Ukraine.

Happy and healthy New Year to everyone,

Lola

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

Spectacular!  Definitely a labour of love and a triumph of artistry!

25 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Responses available: like, thank. or laugh.  Just inadequate, where is love?  thanks Daveywavey

I Rarely use reactions QSS as they are so limited. Some might think it rude (whilst no rudeness intended) but rarely do those little buttons accurately express the emotions and empathy felt whilst reading a post. 

• Like 2