Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Now THIS is my kind of excursion!  Beautiful.

Guarantee you that @RachelG’s husband and I could lose the guide in a matter of minutes to wander on our own. 😁

Looks like a great hike--but Stumblefoot and George would be gone within 5 minutes--maybe less. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Today I visited the International Antarctic Center in Christchurh where I had the opportunity to go on a ride in a Hagglund, had an encounter with huskies, went to a simulator of an Antarctic Storm where the temperature goes as down as -18C (the lower temperature I have ever felt) attended some presentations and 4D movies as well a virtual reality (VR) about Shackleton journey. It was great. At every moment it remminds mr about the great Antarctica cruise on board Silver Explorer. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 21.27.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 21.42.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 23.25.20.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-07 at 01.39.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-07 at 01.41.46.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lirio said:

Today I visited the International Antarctic Center in Christchurh where I had the opportunity to go on a ride in a Hagglund, had an encounter with huskies, went to a simulator of an Antarctic Storm where the temperature goes as down as -18C (the lower temperature I have ever felt) attended some presentations and 4D movies as well a virtual reality (VR) about Shackleton journey. It was great. At every moment it remminds mr about the great Antarctica cruise on board Silver Explorer. 

Are you on a cruise?  Where did the ship port for this excursion?  [Our Silversea cruise next January will be stopping in Akaroa, and their shorex choices include Christchurch but not the International Antarctic Centre.  This would be my top choice, if I can figure out how to get there...]

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are you on a cruise?  Where did the ship port for this excursion?  [Our Silversea cruise next January will be stopping in Akaroa, and their shorex choices include Christchurch but not the International Antarctic Centre.  This would be my top choice, if I can figure out how to get there...]

Viator has a cruise shore excursion for ships that go into Lyttleton, but the beautiful Akaroa is a bit further away.  Perhaps try and get a small group together and hire a car to drive to Christchurch?  Your ship might offer just a transfer without a tour, although Silversea usually has excursions included. @Liriohas posted great photos.  I visited the Centre during a stay in Christchurch a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Host Jazzbeau, I think Lirio is on a self-guided land trip.

We visited Chrishchurch in 2008 pre-earthquake, on Oceania. We docked in Lyttleton where it was easy to get a public bus to ChCh. We also visited the Antarctic Center on our own.

When we visited, they had a shuttle bus that would pick you up from downtown and take you to the Center. It ran in a loop on a regular basis. I don't see any info on their website about this now, though. You might ask them if they still offer that service, if you have another way to get to ChCh. Or perhaps take a public bus to the airport and walk 5 minutes to the Center.

Otherwise, Google says it's 1h28 from Akaroa by car. Sounds like a pain - hope you can work something out because it's a fun place to visit. It set the table nicely for our Antarctica cruise the following year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Being a bit troubled by our lately dysfunctional political system, and finding little comfort in gazing across the Atlantic, I came upon this quote from Plato (I do hope its authentic).  From Greece, birthplace of democracy:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Above So Below Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber./ -Plato'

Well, the other issue is funding for a campaign.  The people best suited for the job probably are not being sponsored.  

• Like 3