Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

46 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thought it must have been the Canadian internet since you and Australia have a common head of state.  Terry's came through fine and dandy, but they always do.  😉

While in Canada last week, the Internet worked fine for us, was able to upload and post pix's to Cruise Critic, etc.  Loved our time in Canada last week.  Below are a few more to prove and share the "Joy" of Canada, its people, history, character.  Glad to hear from Stumblefoot that my visuals come through "fine and dandy".  I like that encouragement.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Not one, but two Canada flags flying proudly in Quebec City.  Plus, the Quebec flag with their famed hotel in the background:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.e7e4dd952bbf834104093b98bc524dd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.98b6588bc02df6b2c1a8faecd2571247.jpeg

Quebec City is unique with its still-standing walls surrounding its historic areas.:

image.thumb.jpeg.25ab10b4e3264d7dbef2b341f61cce63.jpeg

Here are a couple more views/angles of the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac Hotel.  It was built by Canadian Pacific Railway, first opened in 1893. This most photographed hotel in the world twice hosted Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt for World War II planning.:

image.thumb.jpeg.ed3e46059f479d3b43099c84e94b2df4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3c027ed06efe45b47b44e13d32c31c7b.jpeg

Here is a view of Montmorency Falls, 272’ tall, 99’ higher than Niagara Falls. with tourism ship in the foreground in this part of the Saint Lawrence River.:

image.thumb.jpeg.8361c604160ee69c74a03dfce82daeb0.jpeg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I hope not too badly for you there on the peninsula, Spins.

A bit further east from you, Franklin is heading awfully close to Bermuda.

Fortunately I'm in Reykjavik, about to board the Moon tomorrow ... phew ...

Yes i see that Franklin has Bermuda in the cross hairs and also band remnants of Emily hitting Iceland. These are like the bad Muppets. 

We will be in Iceland in a few weeks. Sorry we will miss you. Enjoy your time aboard!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Speaking of weather... i think the peninsula is going to get hit…Screenshot_20230826-130334.thumb.png.a673c5aca4abb249e10a35d1c4a8c5d3.png

I can't like your post spins.  That would be cruel.  My emoji response (if we had more options) would be....😮‍💨

18 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I hope not too badly for you there on the peninsula, Spins.mmA bit further east from you, Franklin is heading awfully close to Bermuda.  Fortunately I'm in Reykjavik, about to board the Moon tomorrow ... phew ...

Good luck to those worrying, with reason, about those threatening storms, plus the official early September start of the hurricane season.  

For Jolly getting on the Silver Moon, would appreciate any special tips, insights, secrets, visuals, etc., about this ship, its entertainment future, dining treats, etc.  Getting closer for early February 2024 when we board the Silver Moon for the first time on our 18-day Mumbai to Singapore adventure.  

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

I hope not too badly for you there on the peninsula, Spins.

A bit further east from you, Franklin is heading awfully close to Bermuda.

Fortunately I'm in Reykjavik, about to board the Moon tomorrow ... phew ...

Have a great time Jolly, are the volcanoes still active?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Have a great time Jolly, are the volcanoes still active?

It’s been raining too hard all day today for me to venture too far from my hotel, but it was a clear day yesterday and I didn’t see any evidence of eruptions on the drive in from the airport. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

IMG_4336.jpeg.13eee2690d9201ef75d27e124d78a9a0.jpeg

Bob Barker is dead at 99. Since he came closest to 100 without going over he WINS the showcase showdown!

Works for me too – my life insurance premiums are only guaranteed to age 100.  If I go over that, they can charge anything they want and if we don't pay we lose everything!

13 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

I am supposed to fly to Tallahassee on Tuesday, right when the hurricane is supposed to hit!

Looks like between apalach or maybe dog island or carabelle and perry at the moment. Maybe rethink the flight to tal…that gulf is insanely hot perfect fuel for the newest Muppet

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Looks like between apalach or maybe dog island or carabelle and perry at the moment. Maybe rethink the flight to tal…that gulf is insanely hot perfect fuel for the newest Muppet

YES, the Gulf of Mexico is very hot with its water temperatures.  Below is a chart I found this am from AccuWeather that seems to project what is coming for this week.  Fasten your seat belts!!

THANKS!  Enjoy??  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.png.36a87c318fae720618aab71c95060b74.png

AND, now that Atlantic storm named Franklin is up to being a real hurricane.  WOW!!  It's still only late August.  What happens in September?  See the graphic below with storm impacts to be felt along the East Coast of the U.S.  

image.thumb.png.024a20665996a6bb2f5d049c436e283c.png

THANKS!  Enjoy??  Terry in Ohio

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Looks like between apalach or maybe dog island or carabelle and perry at the moment. Maybe rethink the flight to tal…that gulf is insanely hot perfect fuel for the

Our house is at Alligator Point just east of Dog Island and west of Perry.  It looks like it will be a category 2 storm.  I need to see what phase of the moon we are in to see just how bad the tides will be.  Fortunately, we are on high ground, but only 500 feet from the Gulf and right on the Bay.  I think I need to rethink my plans!

Edited by Emtbsam
Grammar

Right on cue!  It seems that every Labor Day weekend, we're either watching a storm on its way, prepping for a storm or recovering from one. 

Just received word that my new roof will be installed the week after Labor Day, following a 10 month wait for the tiles - hallelujah! I've been extremely anxious ever since the install was delayed because the temporary repair is unlikely to withstand hurricane force winds... 

Fingers crossed that Idalia stays at lower intensity and doesn't veer east. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Alligator Point, where our house it, is just east of Dog Island and west of Perry.  It looks like it will be a category 2 storm.  I need to see what phase of the moon we are in to see just how bad the tides will be.  Fortunately, we are on high ground, but only 500 feet from the Gulf and right on the Bay.  I think I need to rethink my plans!

Yikes. Hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but August 30th is full moon. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Yikes. Hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but August 30th is full moon. 

From MSN News and a news website yesterday, they had this headline: A rare blue supermoon rising August 30 will be the biggest full moon of 2023 — and won't happen again until 2037 with these highlights: "On Wednesday, a full, luminous moon will appear in the sky. While experts debate the exact definition of a supermoon, this last full moon of the summer meets all the criteria.  In general, the moon is a supermoon when it reaches the point nearest to Earth in its orbit. At about 226,000 miles from our planet, the moon looks about 7% bigger than a regular full moon.  Supermoons aren't rare in and of themselves. There are typically three or four a year.  Blue Moons are less common: Only one in about 33 moons qualifies.

Here was their visual used to illustrate this reporting:

image.jpeg.3bb646bc8d8d056db30bd7be81ca6792.jpeg

Look exciting and interesting??

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/a-rare-blue-supermoon-rising-august-30-will-be-the-biggest-full-moon-of-2023-and-wont-happen-again-until-2037/ar-AA1fMAIa

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1