Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

34 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Thanks all for your kind thoughts. Marino is 15 1/2 and has been doing very very well for his age (active, playful, funny) despite early stage kidney disease (which, as @silkismomnoted, can be managed for years).   

Unfortunately, today's examination revealed that the swelling in Marino's jaw is not a dental issue, but cancer.   My poor dear boy. 

Sincere condolences @Dolcevita Diva !  😔

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Thanks all for your kind thoughts. Marino is 15 1/2 and has been doing very very well for his age (active, playful, funny) despite early stage kidney disease (which, as @silkismomnoted, can be managed for years).   

Unfortunately, today's examination revealed that the swelling in Marino's jaw is not a dental issue, but cancer.   My poor dear boy. 

Oh, no. How very sad. Those who don't have the privilege of having pets just couldn't understand the special bond we have with them. The only comfort at times like this is knowing that this unique little individual has had the best possible life and receives the very best of care. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Not posted on the site for ages ( I'm not popular 😭) ..  I just wanted to say not long returned from a fabulous time on silver moon.. I have now since had a stem cell collection & had enough cells collected for a stem cell transplant for myeloma..( had one 9 years ago) ... Still enjoying life to the full 🌝 🥂.. hope to have transplant in the new year.. so much cruising to be done ... Just love silversea ... Message for Mr luxury.as I Brit I think your humour may be lost in translation sometimes 😂.. any way lovely to follow fabulous photos from jp& others on there amazing trips ... ,& I just love the funnies of the day!! Sorry about my grammar!!! Lois hope your having a ball ..also where is Davey wavey??? .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Oh, no. How very sad. Those who don't have the privilege of having pets just couldn't understand the special bond we have with them. The only comfort at times like this is knowing that this unique little individual has had the best possible life and receives the very best of care. 

Well said and thank you. Another comfort is that our furkids don’t know the word and therefore don’t have the same gut-wrenching reaction we humans do when we hear the word cancer.   

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
Darn auto-correct
  • Like 6

Well said and thank you. Another comfort is that our furkids don’t know the word and therefore don’t have the same gut-wrenching reaction we humans do when we hear the word cancer.   

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I'm not sure why Lvshack's post appears as "QueSeraSera said" but I think it's safe to assume the post is her, speaking to us.  I would add she is popular with us, raises a good question about Daveywavey, and may have a point about Mr Luxury 🙂

Not sure why I posted in the incorrect post maybe that's why  I'm not popular!!  I've been cruising with silversea since 2000.but I think now I'm not in the new in crowd(as Bryan ferry wouldn't have said,)  but anyway just wanted to touch base with maybe some of old crowd 😜 still love following the cruise board   😘

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

So sorry to hear this DvD. Sending much love to you and Marino. I Hope Marinos condition can be managed so that you can enjoy every moment you can together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lvshack said:
5 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Not posted on the site for ages ( I'm not popular 😭) ..  I just wanted to say not long returned from a fabulous time on silver moon.. I have now since had a stem cell collection & had enough cells collected for a stem cell transplant for myeloma..( had one 9 years ago) ... Still enjoying life to the full 🌝 🥂.. hope to have transplant in the new year.. so much cruising to be done ... Just love silversea ... Message for Mr luxury.as I Brit I think your humour may be lost in translation sometimes 😂.. any way lovely to follow fabulous photos from jp& others on there amazing trips ... ,& I just love the funnies of the day!! Sorry about my grammar!!! Lois hope your having a ball ..also where is Davey wavey??? .. 

Expand  

Lvshak, you’re popular with me. I’ve not been on here lately as I’ve lost 2 of my little angels in the last couple of months quite horrifically to extremely rare and unbelievably fast moving lymphoma. Also my beautiful and loyal little gentleman’s dementia has been getting much worse resulting in hours of anxious whimpering, barking and howling all night long. Fortunately we’ve discovered that spraying his bed with lavender pillow spray is helping him immensely. I Managed 4 hours sleep last night for the first time in over a month. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

So sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’ve lost 2 of my little angels in the last couple of months

Wow, so sorry Davey.  Overwhelming sadness.

Glad the lavender spray is helping with your gentleman, quite ingenious I'd say.  But I am hoping 4 hours turns into 6 or 8 for you soon.

Edited by QueSeraSera
typo
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Wow, so sorry Davey.  Overwhelming sadness.

Glad the lavender spray is helping with your gentleman, quite ingenious I'd say.  But I am hoping 4 hours turns into 6 or 8 for you soon.

Thanks QSS but 4 does me fine anyway. It’s heartbreaking to see him this way. He’s been the perfect dog for nearly 15 years. I found him today “stuck in a corner”, it’s been quite a learning curve. He still enjoys his Harvey parties where he rolls on his back scritching and singing. 

IMG_0332.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

DW70 - I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through.  It is heartbreaking.  How wonderful that lavender spray has such a calming effect.  I hope I remember that should I ever need it.

Thanks Emtb. It was distressing hearing him so distressed  but it’s been like a miracle. Maybe because he’s a Spaniel and they are many 1000’s of times more sensitive to smell than us.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Lvshak, you’re popular with me. I’ve not been on here lately as I’ve lost 2 of my little angels in the last couple of months quite horrifically to extremely rare and unbelievably fast moving lymphoma. Also my beautiful and loyal little gentleman’s dementia has been getting much worse resulting in hours of anxious whimpering, barking and howling all night long. Fortunately we’ve discovered that spraying his bed with lavender pillow spray is helping him immensely. I Managed 4 hours sleep last night for the first time in over a month. 

Oh Davy, so very sorry to hear this - how heartbreaking to lose two of your furkids in such a short time and to watch another one dealing with dementia.  Glad that the lavender spray is helping. 

19 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

DvD, is there a plan yet for treatment for Marino? Steroids bought us some time with our beautiful Joey but it bought us enough time to show him how much he was loved. I’m sure he knew it anyway but it made the whole “process” much less difficult. 

They're compounding steroids for Marino with a tuna flavor, but due to the location of the tumor, the treatment plan from the vet is just to keep him comfortable and hydrated.  I'm also going to look into any potential naturopathic options for Marino. 

It's just hard to absorb, given how good he looks and how normally he is acting. He was his usual prancy self after we got home yesterday and even caught a frog that had somehow gotten onto the porch.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Oh Davy, so very sorry to hear this - how heartbreaking to lose two of your furkids in such a short time and to watch another one dealing with dementia.  Glad that the lavender spray is helping. 

They're compounding steroids for Marino with a tuna flavor, but due to the location of the tumor, the treatment plan from the vet is just to keep him comfortable and hydrated.  I'm also going to look into any potential naturopathic options for Marino. 

It's just hard to absorb, given how good he looks and how normally he is acting. He was his usual prancy self after we got home yesterday and even caught a frog that had somehow gotten onto the porch.  

The steroids can be a huge help DvD and can buy him time whilst they figure things out. We felt the same way with our bruising great Ginge. He’d never been to the vets once since the day he was chipped and neutered. Sending much love to you both. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Preparing for 35 hours of travel this weekend... We leave Zambia tomorrow at 13:25 and arrive in Albany on Sunday at 17:30. Four flights. Seven hours of time change. Who planned this insanity? 

I managed to get us checked in for all four flights so there is a slim chance that we can take advantage of the interline agreement between Airlink, Air France, and Delta. If this works we will check our bags once, in Livingstone, and collect them in Albany. We'll see how that goes...

Zambia has been a treat. We're staying at a lodge about 20 minutes out of town. Gorgeous setting on the Zambezi River. A fabulous room with every amenity you could want. And delicious food. They feed you so much here!

Yesterday we went to Livingstone Island and swam in Devil's Pool. It was an experience. We loved it. It's a long way down!

FB_IMG_1700250910905.thumb.jpg.c7972cd5cd97fa2377cde615568dfca3.jpg

FB_IMG_1700250902000.thumb.jpg.35fea392927ac66630b236494243e504.jpg

Then we walked with rhinos.

20231116_160957.thumb.jpg.b3a974c93ff1d758ef9331025bbf8d52.jpg

20231116_161109.thumb.jpg.7b065def390b737ef27c68ddcd85e5c3.jpg

Today we visited Zimbabwe to see the falls from that side. Great views and we got plenty wet despite the low water levels.

20231117_090339.thumb.jpg.098ef1b2148a70f0462367b9f374d5b4.jpg

20231117_091049.thumb.jpg.f7aef4c559b7e0a036ee083b514df8a7.jpg

A helicopter ride over the falls afterwards. 

20231117_115755.thumb.jpg.cc69e48b5577423d2883d305fbda94de.jpg

One last beautiful sunset tonight. 

20231117_181118.thumb.jpg.5fa43c634f8878d64053aedf172cf16f.jpg

20231117_184937.thumb.jpg.908564d20f160cd065637234d871caf0.jpg

Already dreaming of a return trip. It's been one of the best journes that we've ever taken.

• Like 18