Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

12 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Good luck with it Davy, to the one who taught me to make roasties, or at least a reasonable stateside version.

Be a bit wary.  My younger son overdid the keto, made himself ill.  I think you probably know there are certain minimums to consume and avoid such a fate.

I Must admitQSS, I never get too involved with macros etc, more the principal. I’m sorry to hear your son overdid it. I go a bit free and easy (as ever) and when I’m a good boy it’s 20g carbs, when I’m a forgetful boy it’s 50g carbs and now and again it’s 2 bacon butties and a pasties de nata sort me out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, QueSeraSera said:

Thank you for that, I should've added he is fine now (and thinner).  Going now to look up bacon butties, breakfast tomorrow perhaps?.& will send a roasties photo when they are next on the menu 🙂

Thick cut tiger bread, slathered with salted butter. Home cured bacon grilled till crispy (none of that American rubbish injected with slime) and then grilled until it’s nearly edible. In fairness, UK supermarkets use the same technique.  I Don’t get the whole American/Canadian/British bacon thing. It’s almost as offensive as chicken sausages in Dubai. Bacon is cured not injected with Brine. Our local butchers do a superb job.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Doesn't this thread have a Crafter who knows what a Handbasket actually is???

Surely it's not a basket to keep spare hands in?  [Although I did see Christopher Walken on Broadway in A Behanding in Spokane, which involves exactly that x100]

If there’s ever a spare hand Jazz you’re obviously going to the wrong type of parties! 😉

Edited by DavyWavey70

Your Waveformness -

We have a number of trugs - both woven from some sort of basket material, & galvanized wire mesh.  The latter get more use.  When one walks out to the garden to harvest, it is a 20-30 minute operation, and you don't want to have to make multiple trips back to the kitchen.  So, a big trug lets you get all the ripe tomatoes, the head of lettuce before it bolts, half a dozen onions, a couple eggplants, way too many peppers, and some lettuce, basil & parsley.  A small collander just won't get the job done. Just say yes to trugs.....

• Haha 2

Whilst my dearly beloved involves himself in disappearing down YouTube rabbit holes of Americans tasting British foods for the first time, which I actually find quite distasteful,  I Choose to  Disappear down entirely different rabbit holes on YouTube such as Americans watching the last night of the Proms. I Mean no disrespect whatsoever to my American friends but it does fascinate me how we are viewed around the world. Here’s just one example (maybe not the best) https://youtu.be/ZXZ11TfF3h4?si=_zH3cWx8lVmp9Vzy

4 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket??  

In the UK - at least in my bits of it - it was usually going to hell in a handcart, one explanation for its origins  being that it began at the time of the Great Plague in London, when the dead were removed from their homes in handcarts.  Maybe I should email Susie Dent, channel 4's lexicographer, for her interpretation.

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

In the UK - at least in my bits of it - it was usually going to hell in a handcart, one explanation for its origins  being that it began at the time of the Great Plague in London, when the dead were removed from their homes in handcarts.  Maybe I should email Susie Dent, channel 4's lexicographer, for her interpretation.

That's a plausible explanation.  At first, with Britain's history of coal mines, I thought the handcarts might be headed literally downward...