Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Bill: my grandfather and his many brothers moved from Shropshire, England to homestead in southern Saskatchewan in the early 1900's. (Their first home was a soddie, and they spent the winters working the mines in Fernie, BC.) My mom was born in 1927 and grew up on the farm during the great depression and 'dust bowl'. She left when she could, moving to BC. She'd go back occasionally, to visit relatives & friends. Last week she got a phone call from one of her childhood friends, who had just moved into the 'home' in the local town - Assiniboia. In relating the story of the phone call to me she said "Imagine, spending your entire life in that god-forsaken place." Ah, the Palliser triangle: Wasteland of hopes, dreams, and where the water is alkaline.

Saskatchewan: a good place to be from.

Wow... many parallels. I have a picture of my grandfather and his brother standing beside the horse and wagon in front of the sod hut they lived in while they built their farms. After elementary schooling in the one-room prarie school house, Dad was sent to a SDA boarding school in Alberta (he had a story about getting 'busted' for eating sausages in a restaurant). After that, he went to high school in Victoria, BC - where he stayed, met mom (from Alberta) and I was born and raised. My grandparents eventually sold the farm and retired to Kelowna, BC.

Lovely funny !

Coolers will know of my ongoing interest as a mature student of the unintended consequences of converging and sometimes seemingly disparate converging trends ...

This article on what happened behind the political scenes in the UK in August 2013 when Assad used chemical weapons and there was no response from us and the speculation on the consequences makes interesting and sober reading.

“Ten days that changed the world “

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/syria-the-inside-story-anthony-seldon-on-ten-days-that-changed-the-world-5kd9wd8h9?shareToken=dc3158f10452d2c2ad3fbff1f0b59ef7

“If Britain had led, cautious Obama would have followed “

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/if-britain-had-led-cautious-obama-would-have-followed-vkllfn25b?shareToken=04f14002b7ecaaa5d66d136d76339650

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Wow... many parallels. I have a picture of my grandfather and his brother standing beside the horse and wagon in front of the sod hut they lived in while they built their farms. After elementary schooling in the one-room prarie school house, Dad was sent to a SDA boarding school in Alberta (he had a story about getting 'busted' for eating sausages in a restaurant). After that, he went to high school in Victoria, BC - where he stayed, met mom (from Alberta) and I was born and raised. My grandparents eventually sold the farm and retired to Kelowna, BC.

When we were kids, we'd visit my grandparents and could play in the (by then abandoned) one room schoolhouse my mother & her siblings had attended. She headed off to Regina for her high school.

My DH is from Victoria. His father grew up on the prairies too, so when war (WWII) broke out, he joined the navy, and his last posting was Victoria, so he stayed there. (Amazing how many prairie kids joined the navy, having never seen the ocean!)

Thanks for those links J! They were sobering reads and seem to provide further evidence that democratic leaders have become much more cautious while leaders of some non-democratic countries have been emboldened. Not a pretty picture!

Thanks for those links J! They were sobering reads and seem to provide further evidence that democratic leaders have become much more cautious while leaders of some non-democratic countries have been emboldened. Not a pretty picture!

Hi, I agree. For what it's worth, you may be interested to know that in my opinion the source for the article is probably David Cameron directly. I'd be 99% sure. (Sir) Anthony Seldon is an extremely respected political historian and was the official biographer of DC and was also considered "the official biographer and historian" of No 10.

I think this is probably DC's effort to "put the facts on record" from "his perspective". Much of the detail has to have been provided by someone that was present and all of the "scenes" include DC. I would say that - for once - you can take a newspaper article as almost probably being entirely accurate - at least from a DC perspective that is. Having provided that caveat, whatever else DC was a pretty balanced person and I'd take the account as being balanced and fair because it includes his own admissions of failings.

Sorry - there is no Sunday Clarkson this week. :(

It is refreshing to hear that at least some reporting is trustworthy even if the topic is unsettling. It would have been so much easier to react if the UN was at all influential in world affairs. It is such a toothless, inept organization that is has no credibility and no ability to deal with horrendous crimes against humanity!

Not to worry about Clarkson J! :) Gives me something to look forward to potentially next Sunday!

Haha some good chuckles this morning at the Cooler. Great start to the week! Off to work - just 3 full work weeks, and a few days, until our trip!

Friday's dinner was tapas night. Didn't have the ambition for a coordinated meal so I grilled some chorizo and made some sauteed mushrooms with sherry. And some sweet potato fries. We called it a meal. It worked, along with some Txakolina.

20180810_190800.thumb.jpg.c4463cbc57b6fac3310138efeb7bcb20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

20180810_190814.thumb.jpg.e95e6d4e84be741b470fed8eae4c9f77.jpg

20180810_190810.thumb.jpg.d494e17874acd8cb1770404d6e6b60a8.jpg