Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Did a little experimental blogging this weekend. Definitely a work in progress as I learn the formatting tricks. I want to make a nicer design as the current one is pretty spartan but I'll leave it as it for now.

Check it out if you want. https://jps50th.blogspot.com/  It's the beginning of the Australia trip. Lots more to come when I have time. The site is part of Google so I am sure they will want to feed you lots of cookies, etc - hope it isn't too annoying.

If I end up being happy with this site I might move some of my older travelpod blogs there. Currently they are locked up in an archive called travelark but I'd like to get them somewhere more accessible again.

Edited by jpalbny

JP, looking forward to more of your blog. 

We use iWeb but it isn’t supported by apple anymore however it still works. 

Mysty, your funny made me laugh out loud!  Had to send it to some friends!! Still smiling. 

We have been in Venice for 2 weeks and have another 2 weeks before we catch the train to Bolonga.  We have managed to stay away from most of the crowds by walking around areas without the major sights.  The quiet canals are so beautiful. 

The ships bring in thousands ( 10,000 one Sunday ) but they are usually here overnight and most return to the ship to eat at night. 

The poor locals on the vaporettos must get tired of pushing through people who won’t move out of the way because they want to take photos. 

One local told me someone asked her what time Venice closes!!

22 hours ago, jillyf said:

We have been in Venice for 2 weeks and have another 2 weeks before we catch the train to Bolonga.  We have managed to stay away from most of the crowds by walking around areas without the major sights.  The quiet canals are so beautiful. The ships bring in thousands ( 10,000 one Sunday ) but they are usually here overnight and most return to the ship to eat at night. The poor locals on the vaporettos must get tired of pushing through people who won’t move out of the way because they want to take photos. One local told me someone asked her what time Venice closes!!

Great and interesting to read these details about your time in Venice. Appreciate these great follow-ups. Keep it coming!!  Very, very funny about "someone asked her what time Venice closes!!".  Glad that you have been able to stay away from the crowds of Venice and experience other aspects of daily life there, the great architecture and history, etc.  Keep up your excellent sharing and posts. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 78,759 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

On 10/22/2018 at 6:17 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I will (hopefully) have some time later today to give AMA a call.  The photos on line of the area look lovely!

Hi, Lois.  Hope things can work out for doing some serious exploring in Portugal.  As I might have mentioned earlier, we super loved everything that we did last June in and around Porto, Lisbon, Fatima, Sintra, etc.  Great history, architecture, culture, people, music, food, fun, etc., is there in Portugal.  Below is one of my favorite pictures from enjoying Porto, its famed river, etc.  More visuals and details on my live/blog.  Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc. 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 25,603 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

Good morning.....well, I have a cabin on hold with UNIWORLD for a Lisbon to Porto cruise...….

Seems there are always positives and negatives for every cruiseline but I have heard very good things about Uniworld…..I know JP and Chris have sailed with them multiple times:classic_biggrin:

There is a gal over on the River Cruise forum who had issues and is not happy but I will not let that get in the way of my decision.  I need to check with the "vacation calendar" at work.  The rep at Uniworld was very nice and said they can hold a cabin for 72 hours so it will give me some time to think about it.  I have been wanting to go on another river cruise since 2016 (when I took my first one) and this looks really good.

Hope everyone has a good day.:classic_biggrin:

Lois, that sounds like a great choice. Lisbon is a charming and compact city to wander around, and there are places further afield to occupy time if need be. And yes, we have done four cruises on Uniworld and they have all been great.

A funny because M is away.

FB_IMG_1540293368839.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

Good, above funny by J.P.  But, in all honesty, mysty still does these better!!  Need her return and continued fun postings.  

On the tech changes with Cruise Critic, got this message back yesterday from Jenn: "We have added font choices/colors etc
I did clean up the line spacing a bit as well.
I try to keep an updated list going here:

The good news is that CC does seem to be listening to questions and suggestions.  Change can be challenging.  They are trying to complete fixes.  Nothing is perfect, but clearly patience is needed.  My sense is that the week being off-line caused many to go away and lessen their posting.  BUT, things seem to be coming back.  Reactions?

I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but I still miss the app. The RSS feed that I've set up isn't as good.

Glad you liked the funny. Definitely not going for mysty's job here. Just a lousy fill-in attempt until she's back!

Hi everyone...…..put the deposit down for the cruise today.  It is for April and now I need to start looking for flights.

And here we go again, the crazy people are coming out in full now...…...can you imagine if the Secret Service had not found these bombs before they reached their targets:classic_wacko:...……..This is really how things are now where the rhetoric is now domestic terrorism and our past Presidents are being targeted.....(along with others)……..makes me sick.

Greetings Coolers!

Firstly....thanks JP for stepping into the "funny" shoes!  I really enjoyed the "Peter Peter"!

No funny for today.  We got home late last night and I'm currently using toothpicks to keep my eyes open.

Have a great day all!

54 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!  Firstly....thanks JP for stepping into the "funny" shoes!  I really enjoyed the "Peter Peter"!   No funny for today.  We got home late last night and I'm currently using toothpicks to keep my eyes open.  Have a great day all!

Glad mysty is back.   Cute comment about "currently using toothpicks to keep my eyes open".  Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's funny.  Just heard from Spins/Candy.  They are in Athens now and below is the visual she sent.  Nice view of the historic Acropolis in this Greek capital city.  They will be in Athens until October 28, and then they fly to Samos.  Will be on that Greek island until November 2.   

In less than three weeks, we will be departing for Athens and our first visit there since being there in June 2006.  Looking forward to learning more as to how this city and the Greek people are doing after their recent years of financial challenges and other issues.  

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details for a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 27,027 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From Spins, here is their view of the Acropolis from their apartment in Athens.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)20181025_104743.thumb.jpg.8021d1692355efcbdff15cd8082a5f16.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Welcome back Mysty:classic_biggrin:

I have been reading some threads on the River Cruise forum and I am getting concerned. Seems 2 years in a row there were water issues on the Douro....too high, too low......and I am really, REALLY not wanting to spend this kind of $$$$ and have a chance of problems with the cruise:classic_blink:....it is giving me some serious food for thought. 

Ha, human spice! Does it taste like chicken? 😉

Lois, I understand your conundrum but unfortunately there is no way to be 100% sure about any trip on any river. The overall odds are in your favor but that's no consolation if you happen to get unlucky and your particular itinerary is disrupted.

We have had a river cruise disrupted but we were lucky and it was canceled outright with an immediate refund. We went to Europe anyway, as we had our own flights, and we went around for 2 weeks on our own. That, IMO, is way better than a pieced-together bus trip. I think I'd hate that too.

I don't know what to tell you because I don't know your comfort level with uncertainty. If you want to take a river cruise, uncertainty is part of the package, I think.

Lois,

From what I have been told, you are especially right to be concerned about the Duoro River.   Apparently, it has more water issues than some of the other popular rivers for cruising.   Perhaps you  might want to call a travel agent who specializes in river cruises and ask for their insights.

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have been reading some threads on the River Cruise forum and I am getting concerned. Seems 2 years in a row there were water issues on the Douro....too high, too low......and I am really, REALLY not wanting to spend this kind of $$$$ and have a chance of problems with the cruise:classic_blink:....it is giving me some serious food for thought. 

Hi Lois!  While we have done two different "river" cruises in recent years, the truth is that not all "rivers" are created equal.  Or, that their "performance" would always be the same for water flow, heights, etc., year-after-year.   Earlier 2018, we were on the Mekong River for seven days.  In 2015, we sailed a thousand miles up the Amazon River with Silversea.  BUT, the Amazon is the world biggest river for its water flow and amount of fresh water going into an ocean.  The Amazon is so massive that its water flow equals the next four biggest rivers in the world.  That is BIG!!   The Mekong is also very large with its flow, but not nearly as overwhelming as the Amazon.  

Then, there are the rivers in Europe??!!  Not nearly as big and wild as the Amazon and Mekong.  Plus, more of the water flow, in some cases, is diverted for other uses and purposes in those high-developed parts of the world.  If you are worried as to doing a river cruise on the Douro, then there are other very good options for land and flights potentials to get around in Portugal.  Clearly, there are major pro/con factors for river cruise versus land/air.  Your choice!!  BUT, as mentioned earlier, we super loved ALL that we did in these various parts of historic and charming Portugal.  Reactions?  Questions?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 60,913 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Shoot, I lost my post!:classic_blink:

Thanks for the replies...…….I have some time before final payment so I will think about it.  A few cruisers over on the River Cruise forum are saying to "go for it"...…..

Terry, I haven't taken a land trip since I started cruising (15 years ago)……..I love cruising:classic_biggrin:  unpack once, everything is taken care of..……..

As for the finding a TA suggestion? I have always done my own research...…..but I guess I could reach out...…...

Anyway, I will think on it.  

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the replies...…….I have some time before final payment so I will think about it.  A few cruisers over on the River Cruise forum are saying to "go for it"...…..  Terry, I haven't taken a land trip since I started cruising (15 years ago)……..I love cruising:classic_biggrin:  unpack once, everything is taken care of..……..  As for the finding a TA suggestion? I have always done my own research...…..but I guess I could reach out...…...  Anyway, I will think on it.  

Hi, Lois!  Understand fully your wise preference for cruises where you only have to unpack once.  BUT, there are various trade-offs to consider!!  Good you are thinking and considering more as to your options.  The key objective is 100% correct in seeking to explore some of the history, culture, beauty, etc., wonderfully available in Portugal.  

Nice funny from mysty.  Very classy!!  Great looking mussels from Jeff.  Keep it coming. Rainy and marginal weather this weekend in Central Ohio.  

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 43,755 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Hi Terry, thanks for the kind reply.

I am feeling very sad/mad again today...…..another shooting at a Synagogue in Pittsburgh this morning.....12 wounded, 4 killed:classic_sad:...….it just seems it will never end...…..

Pretty nuts, Lois. Not much more to say.

Jeff, yummy food. Still thinking about the moules and frites we had in Bruges. Especially on a disgusting weather day like today. 40F, gray, and rainy. Not great driving weather!

We were in Pennsylvania overnight yesterday to see Chris's dad. Left after work yesterday, made it to our friends' place by 8PM and had a nice dinner out, then stayed with them before visiting with her dad late morning. Our friends met us for lunch and then we returned to his place for a bit more but he was pretty tired and not much into visiting so we left around 2, and drove 3.5 hours in this ugly weather to get home.

Now we are parked at home with a bottle of wine, and no more plans to go out today. I'll make a light pasta dish for dinner in an hour or so. I'm thinking some prosciutto, fresh sage, and garlic with linguine and olive oil. Boiling the water should be the longest part of dinner prep! If we don't finish the bottle first, that is... 🍷