Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

46 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Do ya'll like this new format? I don't:classic_wacko:

Not exactly crazy about it yet.  Change is always hard, so I try not to rush to judgement.

It is easier to attach images  though, so that's a plus.

Here's something in honour of the significance of today in Canada ...

my-joints-are-stiff-google-me420-youre-rolling-them-too-23118618.png

• Haha 2

DW - I'm using a mobile and have noticed that when you open the Silversea subsection the new posts since last visit are in a bolder blue and to the left of the thread title is a blue circle or star. Tapping on the star (which, I think, indicates that you have posted on that thread) or the circle takes you to the newest unread Post. 

I haven't a laptop with me so no idea if the above applies. 

7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

DW - I'm using a mobile and have noticed that when you open the Silversea subsection the new posts since last visit are in a bolder blue and to the left of the thread title is a blue circle or star. Tapping on the star (which, I think, indicates that you have posted on that thread) or the circle takes you to the newest unread Post. 

I haven't a laptop with me so no idea if the above applies. 

Yes, that's how it works, laptop or iPad. 

I use my right index finger to tap so that means reaching across the screen every time and since the dots/stars are small, a certain amount of wrong taps are happening. Not the end of the world but irritatingly unnecessary, as are the navigation links being in very small, pale grey script. Why? Even the 'home' link is almost cowering from view. Bad design, IMO.

OTOH, it looks like attaching photos etc may be easier - haven't tried it yet - so if they sort out the current design faults, (and we get used to it), the site will be better ... maybe ...

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks TTS and Jolly. It’s not so much the threads as the posts within them. When I open for example the water cooler on my iPad ?I used to get a “view first unread post” which took me right to them. Now I have to open it, then go to the last page then scroll down to the end. If that makes sense?

11 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks TTS and Jolly. It’s not so much the threads as the posts within them. When I open for example the water cooler on my iPad ?I used to get a “view first unread post” which took me right to them. Now I have to open it, then go to the last page then scroll down to the end. If that makes sense?

I think your problem (not sure tho’) is that you are opening the thread. 

Just go to the Silversea Cruises section and tap on the star to the left of the Cooler thread, that gets you to your first unread post. 

Hi All....trying to wade my way through all the new stuff with great difficulty but in all fairness haven’t had much time....great to catch up and see everyone in good spirits....talking of which 😜 just two weeks to go until my next soirée! The usual pre voyage appointments are well underway and the cruise rail full!

😊

Miss S....that is exciting!  Is the cruise rail groaning yet?  🙂  I'm afraid I tend to lose perspective with my packing lists and it becomes a sobering moment when things actually need to fit into available bags.

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

Do ya'll like this new format? I don't:classic_wacko:

YES, much of this is very frustrating!  Much of my earlier frustrations was that pictures previously posted were not there.    BUT, slowly "things" are starting to be restored. 

Here is the message received back from Cruise Critic by e-mail earlier today: "Formatting is running in the background on all past posts (50 some odd million!). The code that displayed photos/typeface was in BB code and now it is – well actually I don’t even know what type of code it uses now I just know that they have to convert the BB code to whatever the new platform uses. It will take a few weeks to complete, but that will correct any formatting issues you see on the old posts.  They started newest first, so you should see some progress already.    You will not have any issues with formatting on new posts.  You also don’t need to have a photo hosting site any longer, though you still can if you prefer.  You can add the photo right to the post.  Hope this helps.  Jenn K"

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia.  This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 37,312 views.  Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Yes, Terry. I am noticing exactly what you were told. When the Cooler first came back on Tuesday, my Quito pictures from the day before they shut down weren't even there - only the code was showing up. They came within a day. The pix on my latest trip report from last month appeared quickly. The only problem is that the order is wrong - the last one is first, then pix 1-5 show up. Oh well. Must be a quirk of posting with the app vs. on a laptop.

They seem to be moving along pretty well. I went back to some of my old blogs to check progress. Yesterday I read my India blog from Feb 2017 and the pictures weren't there, but now they are showing up today. The pix are also back on one of my 2016 blogs and I just checked some older ones; they are back there too. So maybe the job is almost complete?

Lois, I suspect there will be a learning curve. But I think the new interface will be more powerful and maybe more useful, if I can figure it out... I am trying to make a custom activity stream but the database isn't complete yet, so it's not working. Once that finally happens I think there is a way to copy a link to the feed and then read it on your phone. I will let you know if I can figure it out!

Edited by jpalbny

Wow!

The RSS feed trick works!

Go to the activity tab and then from the dropdown menu, choose "content I posted in" which will bring up a feed with new posts from the threads you've contributed to. You can then copy an RSS link and paste it into your RSS reader on your phone. When you open the reader, it creates a newsfeed for you with all the new posts.

Pretty cool trick. 😄

Anyway, we had pork chops for dinner. Nothing special, just breaded with panko, and pan fried. They were simple, that is, until I got the idea to go harvest some more sage from the herb garden!

I fried the fresh sage leaves in butter and olive oil until they were crispy, and then crumbled them over the chops and the accompanying sweet potato fries. After being used for frying, the brown butter was poured over our "vegetable" of the day - a can of corn. Simple meal with a nice garnish! I will try to attach a picture using my phone. Wish me luck!

20181018_184320.thumb.jpg.c0ac779a644d6b317b452b2fc70c04aa.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
Add picture from phone

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, Terry. I am noticing exactly what you were told. When the Cooler first came back on Tuesday, my Quito pictures from the day before they shut down weren't even there - only the code was showing up. They came within a day. The pix on my latest trip report from last month appeared quickly. The only problem is that the order is wrong - the last one is first, then pix 1-5 show up. Oh well. Must be a quirk of posting with the app vs. on a laptop.  They seem to be moving along pretty well. I went back to some of my old blogs to check progress. Yesterday I read my India blog from Feb 2017 and the pictures weren't there, but now they are showing up today. The pix are also back on one of my 2016 blogs and I just checked some older ones; they are back there too. So maybe the job is almost complete?  Lois, I suspect there will be a learning curve. But I think the new interface will be more powerful and maybe more useful, if I can figure it out... I am trying to make a custom activity stream but the database isn't complete yet, so it's not working. Once that finally happens I think there is a way to copy a link to the feed and then read it on your phone. I will let you know if I can figure it out!

Great, fun graphic from mysty!!  Good suggestions from Jolly and others for learning this new "system".  My problem?  I figure out one solution and/or short-cut to make something work.  Or, to get me where I want to go.  BUT, then the next day, I am trying to remember how I got there, what it made it work that way, etc.  Is that me, their system and/or my advancing age/slow brain?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 42,897 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Hi, not understanding what you are trying to explain......how to follow the threads you post on?

AND I HATE having to go back to the main page to change forums.....there used to be a field at the bottom of the page called "FORUM JUMP"...you would scroll down to the forum you wanted and click on it......it would take you to the place you want to chat...….now? You have to go to them main page and choose the category...………..:classic_blink:it makes no sense.  

Lois,

Yes, I am talking about how to make a custom "news feed" that shows you only the posts you've posted on, with the latest replies. It would be similar to the function on the old app, which I dearly miss. It's not totally the same but it seems close and I may be able to customize it once the search index is complete (that may take a while).

Point is, once you make a custom activity stream (called an "RSS feed"), this website will create a unique web address for that feed for you. Next, you can copy that website URL and paste it into an app called an "RSS feed reader" which you can then use on your phone. The phone app will "read" the activity stream and report to you when there is new activity. Again, similar to the old app but so far it has a few differences.

Regarding the Forum Jump feature, that is being worked on. See the thread here: 

Edited by jpalbny

Many thanks M ..... a picture of “the crumb” and the lamb.

To be honest ... give me a flatbread and some rough red wine and a bit of salami and olives and I think I’d be alright.  

The piggy bank has just taken a hit.  I have just ordered the Sony DSCRX100 MVI ie model 6 to replace Frances which is the model 3.  I wanted 4k for the new TV and the Youtube flims taken with this new model are sublime.  

DE3E39FA-E89D-4D17-8B67-E850948CED5A.jpeg

FAA196AE-E7B1-4A9D-A8B6-341EE8F7556D.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff