Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

17 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Gentlepersons, 

I, too, enjoy the camaraderie of this board, even if it often has little to do with cruising on SS, or the price of tea in China.  I had been following two other boards associated with other high-end cruise lines.  After I posted some frivolous frippery on one of them, another poster replied that since there was no cruising going on, there was therefor NOTHING to post about.  EX-CU-USE ME!  So, I dutifully stopped posting there; I can take a hint!!  On another of such forums related to an other of the big three luxury lines, no overt hostility, but nothing but whining about lack of cruises and rampant speculation about when they might start up.  Hardly a word about how we were all in the struggle together to make it to the other side of the current unpleasantness, or offering of a friendly elbow bump to a fellow (masked) traveler.  

Meanwhile, here on the SS board, we have this delightful repartee with posters from all over the globe.  In a hard time for lots of us, it is like a life ring thrown to someone who just fell overboard on the Muse from tee many martoonis!  I appreciate it.  When somewhat normal cruising recommences (Oh, happy day!) I shall remember the gregarious and accepting international group who kept the flame alive on this board, and will be favorably inclined to booking my first cruise back with SS, in hopes of meeting some of the stalwarts who have kept a stiff upper lip and a welcoming vibe going here on this august forum!  I doff my tam-o-shanter in your general direction...

Here endeth the epistle.  

Mr Tiramisu  

Your epistle was delicious!  😁  Thank you for taking the time to craft it!  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

Hi, Truly! So glad you found your way over to the Silversea board and especially the Cooler. I too am mostly a lurker with the occasional post. I have enjoyed your posts on other boards and was sad when you felt you could no longer participate on one of them—completely agreed with you there. Love the vibe, the humor and the funnies here. This board is keeping me sane through this trying time.

Thank you. Yes, during these difficult times coming here brings a smile to my face and some sanity. Agree that the control freak on that other luxury board is quite the turn off. You would think he owned the cruise line 😉 

I love the camaraderie here from people all over the world. Happy to meet another lurker and I assume there are many of us out there.

BTW, I never knew what Fever Tree was as I only drink wine. However, after learning about it on CC, I noticed it in my local market. The things you learn about around here.  LOL!

• Like 3

This is for Tiramisu (and everyone else too).......thanks for that  post. I remember when I started sailing with SS and then found this particular thread and remember we were told it was to talk about everything BUT SS.  Basically, all other subjects🙂.....I had my share of health issues since finding this forum and everyone has been nothing but kind to me. I hope I have paid it forward (or back) to everyone else as well.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

This is for Tiramisu (and everyone else too).......thanks for that  post. I remember when I started sailing with SS and then found this particular thread and remember we were told it was to talk about everything BUT SS.  Basically, all other subjects🙂.....I had my share of health issues since finding this forum and everyone has been nothing but kind to me. I hope I have paid it forward (or back) to everyone else as well.

I remember you from the River cruise board. 🙂

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

BTW, I never knew what Fever Tree was as I only drink wine. However, after learning about it on CC, I noticed it in my local market. The things you learn about around here.  LOL!

Fever Tree is dangerous. We buy it by the case. And we still like wine too.

Cooking Bistecca alla Florentina on the grill now. Popped the cork on a nice Nebbiolo. Life is good for the moment.

20210424_165606.thumb.jpg.cd4742d73406a2121c1d5336e2c9e139.jpg

• Like 3

I read somewhere else [good thing I'm a speed reader 😉] that you like white wine.  Think of G&T as another variety of white wine.  Especially with a floral Gin and FT elderberry tonic.  Skoal!

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Cooking Bistecca alla Florentina on the grill now. Popped the cork on a nice Nebbiolo. Life is good for the moment.

Yum, that is a beautiful piece of steak. We prefer the bone vs filet. Much more flavor. It is sunny today on the Mountain. DH just put some charcoal in the grill. We are having baby back ribs with baked potato tonight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I read somewhere else [good thing I'm a speed reader 😉] that you like white wine.  Think of G&T as another variety of white wine.  Especially with a floral Gin and FT elderberry tonic.  Skoal!

Sounds like it could be quite refreshing. I laughed when I saw it at our market because I think you have posted about it frequently. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Hi JP,  looks fantastic🙂....and good to see you again.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

But not as frequently as we here on the Cooler drink it!

I see there is a NY contingency here. We sold our Summer lake home in the Adirondacks less than 2 years ago. We were in the area over 10 years and just today were reminiscing about our little side trips to the Sagamore on Lake George. 

Down to one house now, but have the fondest memories and will always miss Summers on the lake.

Now, as to food: We cannot get Hofman's Snappy Grillers or their frankfurters here in CO. Cannot get your New England hot dog buns either. I found and ordered them online getting ready for our Summer barbecues. Not gourmet, but certainly tasty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

But not as frequently as we here on the Cooler drink it!

Going to mix one up now. Hendrick's Midsummer Solstice and Mediterranean tonic with a slice of orange from our own tree.. Will have the rest of the Nebbiolo for a nightcap.

The steak was so good,even though I cooked it a little bit more than I would have preferred. 

20210424_165719.thumb.jpg.537c1adc5068377ffa6171ff333b7313.jpg

Looks good enough to eat!

20210424_172531.thumb.jpg.cd65c518fb562d7bbfbd669cc074e5cc.jpg

Too close to medium but still tasty. Steak with fancy olive oil was a new combo for me but one I'll happily have again. 

20210424_172726.thumb.jpg.6c84eff52529c5bb98f453a7e217458e.jpg

We saved a few slices. It was a 2.75# steak. Probably could have eaten all of it...

• Like 3

Jeff (hopefully you’re still here), lovely to see you pop in. Stay safe.

Thanks to Mr Tiramisu for echoing what I’m sure we all feel.

Dinner looks yum as always JP. I think we’re having Beef Wellington tonight.  I don’t cook but my Jeff does 😁 (I’m more than happy to watch from my side of the breakfast bar with a glass of red.)

Best wishes all, Karin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few years back we were doing a long, winding 7 day road trip from Rome to Florence, and on the last day, south of Florence, our friend traveling with us said it was mandatory to stop and have a Florentine steak for lunch.  He knew just the place (after we got lost).  You walked in the door of this little, rural place down a long gravel driveway, surrounded by fields, but with a number of cars with Italian plates.  This fellow greets you. You indicate with your two hands how big a steak you want, he cuts it off and sends it to the kitchen, and you wander into the "seat yourself" dining room.  They bring good local pasta and great local red wine in a pitcher with water glasses.  Appetites were sated. Refills were had.  Thus reinforced, we drove on to Florence, where we dumped the car, spent three days doing the town, then took a high speed train to Venice, to board Silver Spirit, tied up at the in-town pier.  Ah, travel!

IMG_5280.JPG

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

A few years back we were doing a long, winding 7 day road trip from Rome to Florence, and on the last day, south of Florence, our friend traveling with us said it was mandatory to stop and have a Florentine steak for lunch.  He knew just the place (after we got lost).  You walked in the door of this little, rural place down a long gravel driveway, surrounded by fields, but with a number of cars with Italian plates.  This fellow greets you. You indicate with your two hands how big a steak you want, he cuts it off and sends it to the kitchen, and you wander into the "seat yourself" dining room.  They bring good local pasta and great local red wine in a pitcher with water glasses.  Appetites were sated. Refills were had.  Thus reinforced, we drove on to Florence, where we dumped the car, spent three days doing the town, then took a high speed train to Venice, to board Silver Spirit, tied up at the in-town pier.  Ah, travel!

IMG_5280.JPG

This sounds like something that would have been in the Stanley Tucci show!👍

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

This sounds like something that would have been in the Stanley Tucci show!👍

But without the politics...

Seriously, that steak looks perfect to me!  Although DW would agree with you that a little rarer would be even better – just proves Ogden Nash's saying that marriage is a union between a man who likes to sleep with the window open and a women who likes to sleep with the window closed :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

side trips to the Sagamore on Lake George. 

That sure is a nice place.

Sometimes we stop there for a meal on our way home from hiking in the Adirondacks. If we're not too muddy, that is. It is a nice place and we don't want to look like we just rolled in from the barnyard! (I grew up on a farm so I can poke fun at myself that way.)

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2