Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Chris got her pysanky-making tools out this weekend and we gave it a whirl. I don't think we've made them in at least 10 years. Probably much longer.

Sunday night she made this fine pysanka.

20220417_193908.thumb.jpg.d908cc6d6e35671de5eb674a9cbaa3e9.jpg

Another view.

20220417_193925.thumb.jpg.444ae33adaa8c38c7abb6bc4b90f334b.jpg

This was a relatively simple design for her. It took her an hour at most.

I tried making one, and sadly broke it, as I was halfway through the final step. Argh.

So since we had all the tools out, we tried again last night. Success for me on the second try!

20220418_205406.thumb.jpg.7d9bc17ed95d8b278e881764a64ad2c2.jpg

Chris tackled a more complex design for her second one. This one took her a few hours. Lots of painstaking detail.

20220418_224719.thumb.jpg.677a5adc087754a9d8d79ee79bbb2710.jpg

20220418_224728.thumb.jpg.62223f686f64c3ff7c2541f47e8a44d2.jpg

But it came out beautifully. 

• Like 17

Very nice JP and Chris.

You do not need lessons, but did you see this from the Albany Institute of History and Art?

image.thumb.png.4b403e5af54a619f16ffdf7a8fc84d5d.png

Pysanky | Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Live Decorating Demonstrations

Saturday, April 16, 2022 | 12-4PM
Saturday, April 23, 2022 | 12-4PM

One of the most interesting and well-known expressions of Ukrainian folk art is a pysanka or Easter egg.

Ever wonder how a pysanka is made?

Stop by the Albany Institute of History & Art to learn about the process and see a demonstration by our curator Diane Shewchuk. A skilled pysanka artist, Diane has been making pysanky for decades and enjoys sharing her Ukrainian heritage.

There are two dates for the live demonstration:

• Saturday, April 16 from 12-4pm (day before Easter)
  • Saturday, April 23 from 12-4pm (day before Orthodox Easter)

This demonstration will take place in the museum's atrium and is free and open to the public.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In response to Mysty's prior post and photo - I have said to family & friends, that if there is a piece of physical evidence for the existence of a God who cares just a tad for humans, it would be the lemon.  Good durable packaging, and filled with incredibly tasty flesh yielding wonderful juice.  And - given close association of western tradition placing God near to Greek concepts (old dude in white robes with flowing beard), I note that the Greek manner of cooking potatoes infused with lemon juice is among the very best food items man or woman has created.  I'm thinking of potatoes I've had in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, at a Greek restaurant, that I would literally drive the length of the state to have.  So, a tip of the hat to Mysty & Myster (the kleftiko looks good too!).  There are some other items that support this theory of a loving deity who has concern for our gustatory preferences (basil, ginger, salmon, Hostess DingDongs), but lemons are Exhibit A.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

In response to Mysty's prior post and photo - I have said to family & friends, that if there is a piece of physical evidence for the existence of a God who cares just a tad for humans, it would be the lemon.  Good durable packaging, and filled with incredibly tasty flesh yielding wonderful juice.  And - given close association of western tradition placing God near to Greek concepts (old dude in white robes with flowing beard), I note that the Greek manner of cooking potatoes infused with lemon juice is among the very best food items man or woman has created.  I'm thinking of potatoes I've had in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, at a Greek restaurant, that I would literally drive the length of the state to have.  So, a tip of the hat to Mysty & Myster (the kleftiko looks good too!).  There are some other items that support this theory of a loving deity who has concern for our gustatory preferences (basil, ginger, salmon, Hostess DingDongs), but lemons are Exhibit A.  

Thank you Will Work!  Myster was quite chuffed with your comment! 😁  The potatoes were amazing!  And I agree that lemons are the fruit of the gods and godesses!

48 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I have said to family & friends, that if there is a piece of physical evidence for the existence of a God who cares just a tad for humans, it would be the lemon.  ...  There are some other items that support this theory of a loving deity who has concern for our gustatory preferences (basil, ginger, salmon, Hostess DingDongs), but lemons are Exhibit A.  

I'll still go with Ben Franklin!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

There are some other items that support this theory of a loving deity who has concern for our gustatory preferences (basil, ginger, salmon, Hostess DingDongs)…

Thank God I had finished my glass of wine before reading this.  😅🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As an ignorant Limey (did you know Brits. used to be known as Limeys?) I have two questions - what are Hostess DingDongs, and more importantly how do you cook lemon potatoes?   The imagination boggles about the first.

Lola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Stumblefoot,

I suppose, otherwise, there would have been some spraying of the Chardonnay out of the royal nostril, ehh?  I slipped that Ding Dong reference in just to see if folks were paying attention...

You bet!  The wine would have gone everywhere.  Well played, signore Tiramisu.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

As an ignorant Limey (did you know Brits. used to be known as Limeys?)

Yes! We were taught that in grade school. Supposedly they used limes to ward off scurvy.

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have two questions - what are Hostess DingDongs, and more importantly how do you cook lemon potatoes?   The imagination boggles about the first.

Lola

Here you go. They are "cakes" but really they are junk food laden with preservatives. The kind of thing that kids love but that grosses me out just thinking about eating one.

DingDong.thumb.jpg.1e367ee1b0f5c76e6caa7ec431a66a33.jpg

Mysty can tell you how to cook lemon potatoes. I don't know the recipe. But they are probably good for scurvy too! 😉

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

This recipe comes from S.A.L.T. - From Greece with Love (gift from Silversea):

Greek Lemon Potatoes

Ingredients (Serves 4)

- 1-1/2 lbs or 750g of baby potatoes, parboiled

- 1 tbsp or 15ml of olive oil

- 1 lemon, juice and zest

- 1 tsp or 5g dried oregano

- 2 cloves garlic, chopped

- 2 tsp or 5g dried rosemary

- 2 tbsp or 30g fresh parsley, chopped

- salt and pepper to taste

1. Pour the olive oil into a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.

2. Add the potatoes and brown, stirring often.

3.  Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix in lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, rosemary and garlic.  Set aside.

4.  When potatoes are almost tender and browned, turn heat down to low and add the mixture.

5.  Stir, then cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.

6.  Top with fresh parsley and serve.

Note:  Myster did not use baby potatoes.  The dish was delicious with the potatoes he did us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I believe some Hostess Ding Dongs were discovered in Tutankhamen's tomb - looking like they did the day they were manufactured.  Food is cooked, Ding Dongs are manufactured.  

The above tater recipe looks good.  You can hardly go wrong, as long as the potatoes are slow cooked (roasting is wonderful), in some sort of bath of lemon juice, olive oil, broth and appropriate spices.  More mealy taters, like russets, will soak up the juices like a sponge, waxy potatoes less so.  But however you prepare them, it is a marriage made in heaven, or at least near the Acropolis.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

A police officer came to our door tonight and asked where I was between 5 and 6.  The look on his face when I answered “kindergarten” was priceless.

Stumbles  ....  I think  you have been  eating too  many DingDongs !!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just put in my grocery delivery order in for tomorrow - including new potatoes, garlic and a large lemon.  Will try to get my lazy body round to making the Greek potatoes in the next few days.  Before I use the lemon for g and ts.

Lola

• Like 3
  • Haha 2