Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

That is definitely a Laugh Out Loud funny and so true and one I sometimes aim for. Have a safe and fun time mysty. We will keep your barstool clean and warm for you. I will be heading off for my trip on 4th July so we can swap roles.

Julie

Thanks Julie!  Sarcasm has been known to land me in the mire.  😅  I still think it serves as a useful tool.  Thanks for keeping the home fires burning!  And in case I lose lock over the next 2 months have an awesome trip in July! 🥰

• Like 1

A Chinese team found a  vault containing the mummified remains of a Russian ruler and immediately burst out laughing. 

Apparently Tsar chasm is the Maoist form of wit. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Sorry, TTs - loved  the first one, but that one has got whiskers on it.

Lola

There's a lot of whiskers on here. I guess that's so some new joiners can have fun too!

• Like 1

Way back in the Day, before Power Point, heck - even before computers, there was a technology wherein people subjected their friends to a certain form of exquisite, boring torture.  They were called “Slide Shows”.  If you made a trip somewhere (say to Grand Canyon), you would take dozens, or hundreds, of photos - typically always including photos of your lovely wife/charming hubby, or both, in front of and largely obscuring, the object of your interest.  It seems there was an essential function to prove that you had indeed been there, done that.

The photos would then be processed to make slides, and using a slide projector, would be projected (typically after drinks or dinner) for the benefit and elucidation of your less well traveled friends and neighbors, to demonstrate your worldly expertise, or to share your wonderful experiences.  Many readers of this august forae may recall such social occasions.

My now long departed inlaws passed on a tale of an event they were party to, which I thought was a wonderful response to this slide show phenomenon.  They lived in a small town on the shore of Lake Erie, PA, not far from town of Erie.  In the small town they lived in, a group of folks (probably a little more well off), arranged to take a trip to Europe together.  Clearly, they would come back with hundreds of photos, to be turned into slides, to be shown to the lesser mortals who were not able to make the Big Trip.

Those in this group who were left behind, conspired amongst themselves to conjure up a response.  They would have their own adventures, and record and present it as a slide show, perhaps equal to that of the international travelers.  Among the exciting adventures recorded for posterity and presentation to the world travelers, they went to the local hash joint, tricked out in their Sunday best, and bringing candles and bottles of Welches grape juice (locally produced).  Many photos were had of this exquisite dining experience.  They took a little road trip, down the Hiway (NY 20), to exotic northern New York State (I think to Ripley), where they took in the local sights (4 railroad tracks, 2 stoplights).  I suppose there may have been a stop at a local establishment, all of which would have been recorded for posterity, with all the participants dressed to the nines, of course.  I believe there was also an overnight visit to the local deer hunting camp.

On return of the World Travelers, the local group had their own slideshow to present all of their own, local adventures.  I always loved the attitude of the local stay at homes in this story!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Will Work for Tiramisu - I LOVE this story, especially since I know those areas well.   We now live in Erie, frequented North East all of our lives, and grew up in Ripley and Westfield, NY.    I would LOVE to know who the members of the local group were!   If you’re willing to share, would you email me at msinden24atgmail.com?

Some years ago I read a sci-fi story that hinged on an interesting theory - the reason why alien  civilisations are never discovered is because they never reach the necessary level of development.  In other words, they self-destruct before they can make sense of the universe.  I've been thinking a lot about that lately, considering the state we are in.  There has never been a time, in my lifetime at least, when the world looks so bleak and to be a member of the human race is frankly rather embarrassing.

So one looks for globules of delight swimming in the fetid soup and after many weeks in the UK the sun has come out, the temperature is warming up and the bluebells are here.  What a joy.  

IMG_2087.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

So one looks for globules of delight swimming in the fetid soup and after many weeks in the UK the sun has come out, the temperature is warming up and the bluebells are here.  What a joy.  

IMG_2087.jpg

Thank you for spreading some joy in a time when some of life feels very bleak. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

No, but as grim as it must have been, it didn't threaten world security.  

Weren’t you alive during the Kennedy / Johnson administrations?  I was just a toddler during Johnson’s presidency.  But, wasn’t world security under a greater threat then than now?

• Like 1

I was certainly alive, and it did not seem nearly as bad as now - I don't think we felt we were dealing with one particular person who might do anything at any time.  And had already ordered some pretty awful things to be done.

Lola

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Weren’t you alive during the Kennedy / Johnson administrations?  I was just a toddler during Johnson’s presidency.  But, wasn’t world security under a greater threat then than now?

No, I don't think so, though it was quite scary.  The reason I don't think so is because Kennedy and Khruschev were rational men, acting in the firm belief in opposing ideologies.  That is not the case today.  Putin is not a rational man, he is not an ideologue, just a vicious gangster interested in power and money and personal survival. I'm sure he thinks, 'If I go, we all go' whereas Nikita always believed in the 'greater good,' the survival of communism and its ultimate triumph.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've lost any interest in ever visiting Russia.  Their brief experience with democracy in the days of Yeltsin & others lost in time now.  Let me know when Navalny allowed to actually lead the opposition party.  Thinking of finding a cruise that includes the Baltic states, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania et al now.  Feel the need to meet the people in these places.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Thinking of finding a cruise that includes the Baltic states, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania et al now.  Feel the need to meet the people in these places.

I am first generation Polish and I still haven't made it to Krakow where my family come from and have heard from other family and UK friends that visited it is  lovely. I have been to Szczecin and it was great and the people were very kind and friendly. I agree with your sentiments re Russia though I know there are nice people there as well. 

It's Mother"s Day here so enjoying a glass of Margaret River Chardonnay while my sons and husband cook fish tacos for my dinner. My youngest son made his own corn tortillas using the tortilla press I bought him a few years ago. 

Happy Mother's day both for all human and furry pet mothers. 🙂

• Like 8

Wishing all the Mom's, Grandma's and anyone who fits that position,  (Step Mom's)..........a wonderful day. And hope you do whatever you want today!

200+ Happy Mother's Day Wishes and Messages | WishesMsg

• Like 6

Worked like a dog this weekend. Even though we had planned on a restful weekend at home, we ended up opening the pool, doing a water change in the aquarium, and removing the snow tires to put summer tires on both cars. I feel like I've been put through the wringer!

Yesterday we did a bunch of shopping, including a visit to Fred the Butcher, where we made quite a haul of great meat. So we had a juicy thick rib steak for dinner last night. 

20220507_172026.thumb.jpg.a4169771c227888e002c2a379417f10e.jpg

Tonight's dinner started with a salad which had roasted beets, and segments from a home-grown blood orange. 

20220508_183237.thumb.jpg.59bc7ef7410e45972c8e3b82c817396d.jpg

I grilled duck breasts (also from Fred) after they were dry-rubbed with ancho chile, coriander, cumin, and mustard powder. 

20220508_185926.thumb.jpg.14c0f569dd645376a61bbd9805776e3e.jpg

Served with a blackberry and balsamic reduction. And the baked sweet potatoes were topped with chives from the garden.

20220508_190041.thumb.jpg.e6d71053773ff3ec2f9200f1fb277852.jpg

At least we did manage to eat well! Even though I feel like I can barely move. 

• Like 10

We've had a cold spell here in Oregon, and the idea of a nice Tagine sounded like a good idea for a cold night, with maybe a nice glass or three of Malbec.  We broke out the Emile Henry clay Tagine cooker, and assembled this one with the usual N African/Moroccan spices, EVOO, chicken thighs & breasts, garlic, parsley, tomatoes & peppers from our garden, red onions, purple carrots, eggplant, kalamata olives, a little bit of honey from our bees, and dried (pitted) cherries.  Started the cooking on the gas stovetop, and after adjusting seasonings, put in the oven to finish.  The design of the cooker is such that it seals the moisture in around the rim, which rises and condenses in the center raised part.  I don't know how scientific it is, but it makes some tasty food.  We served it with couscous, chutney and fresh baked crusty sourdough.  Every time my wife spots another Emile Henry clay cooking implement, she grabs it, or so it seems.  I'm fascinated that you can put them on the stovetop - you just start low, and have some liquid or oil in there, and they do a great job.  There is something about clay pot cooking.  

IMG_5741.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

...with maybe a nice glass or three of Malbec.    

IMG_5741.JPG

That looks fantastic.  I could eat @jpalbny@Daveywavey70, and your cooking anytime, anywhere.

Seeing you're a fan of the three glass minimum, let me introduce you to @QueSeraSera, a fine wine guest to have at anyone of your parties. 

• Like 3