Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Oh, and while we're at it. Why are Leicester, Worcester and Bicester respectively pronounced Lesster, Wusster and Bisster yet Cirencester is fully enunciated? 

And isn't it about time we loaned the Welsh some vowels? 

• Like 2

Lovely webcam view of the Moon.  I admit I started by looking in the sky for the original moon!  And hopefully another nice day before evening  rain and maybe storms.

Tts - I really needed to know the locals pronounce Des Moines - is this how they say it? Surely not.

Lola

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Lovely webcam view of the Moon.  I admit I started by looking in the sky for the original moon!  And hopefully another nice day before evening  rain and maybe storms.

Tts - I really needed to know the locals pronounce Des Moines - is this how they say it? Surely not.

Lola

I'm no authority on Iowan dialect but it seems Dez Moynz is their pronunciatory preference. I know! 

• Haha 1

Welsh is a completely different language, and probably kept so difficult deliberately to fox those who do not speak or understand it.  (I say this as a 50% Welsh person  though I was not born there, and only understand one or two rude phrases).

Lola

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Welsh is a completely different language, and probably kept so difficult deliberately to fox those who do not speak or understand it.  (I say this as a 50% Welsh person  though I was not born there, and only understand one or two rude phrases).

Lola

Diolch an fawr! 

It's not just silly names that's fun but local accents too. We Ulster folk have the peculiar knack of making many one syllable words into two syllables, then, just to be contrary, turn some duosyllabic words into monosyllables.  Some examples:

Face becomes fee-ass

Eight becomes ee-at

Film becomes fill-um

Yet Northern Ireland becomes Norn Iron

I no longer have my abrasive Shankill Road accent and in almost all respects use accepted English pronunciation. The one strong exception is the word eight. While mostly I pronounce it as 'ate' I have to concentrate. 8,888 still takes some getting out. 

I went to school in Lexington Kentucky, and totally mispronounced just about everything, and was called a damn yankee, but one of the biggest guffaws from my peers came the time I pronounced the town of Versailles with my knowledge of the place in France.  I was told I was so wrong, the name is 

just that, VER SALES, with a southern drawl.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4