Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

How about swapping it for a typically British meal in a decent  historic London pub?  You could do some searches and make your choice.  Some enormous beer battered fish and chips with a good British beer might be more memorable?

The George at Southwark is full of old charm and do a mega fish and chips.

4 hours ago, chebby said:

I suggest Rules in Covent Garden, try the grouse

Lirio, I may not be English, but can attest to the joy of Rules, as well as The George along the Borough High Street.  Totally different experiences and both are quintessentially British.

• Thanks 2

I'd say at least visiting Covent Garden is a great idea, and I'd suggest the adjacent Marquess of Anglesey pub on Bow St, just opposite The Royal Opera House - it does wonderful pub food, I go there on every visit to London for my fish 'n chips fix. The upstairs bar/dining room is very pleasant but might need booking, it's a popular pub. It serves Young's beer too - some of the best London Beer.

https://www.themarquess.co.uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are all making me very hungry for fish and chips! I will have to settle for burgers on the grill tonight, served with air-fried chips.

I was supposed to be off for the long weekend but unfortunately my coworker got covid so he's out until Tuesday. It's remarkable that it has been two years plus with this pandemic and this is the first time one of us has caught it. Since there is no alternative, I've been covering ICU all week and will continue until Tuesday morning. Hopefully he will be well and able to take over then. He's doing fine so we are fortunate there.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 6

Reminiscing about restaurants in London we used to visit when my DH had an office there, some have gone - like Manzi's off Leicester Square, which I believe is being revived on another site; Le Boulestin, which I think went some time ago, and two which are still there and  thriving, but rather 'posher' than they were in the 1980s - Sheekeys and Bentley's.  DH in particular loved fish, and we used to have lobster on the first floor of Bentley's, served by older waitresses in black dresses with white pinnies, I think.

They both seem rather grander than they did in those days.  I bet Jeff will remember them all!  

Lola

• Like 1

What a choice you have in London for food of every type and price point.

One of my favourite places to eat is The Goring Hotel which has a very well run English dining room.

As Jeff suggests British pub food is popular and wholesome.

You will not be disappointed with the wealth of choice here in London.

Have a great Time.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

OK London foodies thanks for getting me excited for some Fish and Chips. Staying at the Waldorf Hilton (Covent garden area) pre Cloud cruise on Monday. Any suggestions for that area?  Dives to 5 star works.

Currently you sit outside with your takeaway …. but may be less restricted by the time you travel. 

https://www.rockandsoleplaice.com

Enjoy London

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

You are all making me very hungry for fish and chips! I will have to settle for burgers on the grill tonight, served with air-fried chips.

I was supposed to be off for the long weekend but unfortunately my coworker got covid so he's out until Tuesday. It's remarkable that it has been two years plus with this pandemic and this is the first time one of us has caught it. Since there is no alternative, I've been covering ICU all week and will continue until Tuesday morning. Hopefully he will be well and able to take over then. He's doing fine so we are fortunate there.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

JP you need Trader Joe's latest delicacy.

Truffle Aioli.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you all! Great suggestions. I will share with my husband. We are still planning what we will do.

For this weekend we have the Grio d'Italia final (cycling) + Champions League final, a lot of beer and good food.

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 1

It's probably coming too late to help this particular request – but for those who can wait a bit, there's a marvelous book about to be published (coming 14 July in Britain, but not until Dec. 6 in the US) that will offer hours/days/weeks of interesting sights and pubs in London:

Bryant & May’s Peculiar London

This will be the 21st book in a series of murder mysteries [that I can highly recommend] but it is, as Monty Python used to say, 'something completely different'...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60490200-bryant-may-s-peculiar-london

https://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog/2022/05/09/the-never-ending-story/

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, lincslady said:

Reminiscing about restaurants in London

Despite all of the wonderful Restaurants in London that I was fortunate enough to visit,  the most memorable has to be the infamous Wonkies (Wong Kei). A Cheap and not very cheerful hive of rudeness and abuse in Chinatown. Arranged over several floors with several hundred seats and you were seated wherever they decided to put you. If the staff didn't like the look of you they'd just tell you to **** off. You sat where you were told without complaint, weren't allowed to order anything off the back page and learned not to pay your bill until you were ready to leave as once you'd paid you were out.  The most amusing part of the whole experience was observing the people that had just wandered in from the street and didn't know what was about to hit them. I Loved the place.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:39 PM, Mr Luxury said:

One of my favourite places to eat is The Goring Hotel

I Agree, The Goring is a lovely Hotel. I used to work with Jeremy in another London Hotel in the 90s . I Also used to live around the corner just behind the Irish Embassy, it was a great place to be as a wide eyed 19 year old.

Sometimes, when I look back, I do miss London but then my aversion to cities that developed a little later in life kicks in just to remind me that I belong in the Countryside. 

• Like 2

Davey,

Luxury is old enough to know London when it really was London but sadly you are far too young. 🙂

London and in particular Soho was London  in the mid-sixties.  Luxury was a Mayfair man I believe. Soho in the sixties was a unique moment in time that I’m sad so few experienced. Muriel Belcher was the centre of gravity. I will never ever forget her first welcome of me into her parlour. I was only 16. 😉

I do remember that place in Chinatown and I’m not certain things in Chinatown have changed that much

Jeff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Davey,

Luxury is old enough to know London when it really was London but sadly you are far too young. 🙂

London and in particular Soho was London  in the mid-sixties.  Luxury was a Mayfair man I believe. Soho in the sixties was a unique moment in time that I’m sad so few experienced. Muriel Belcher was the centre of gravity. I will never ever forget her first welcome of me into her parlour. I was only 16. 😉

I do remember that place in Chinatown and I’m not certain things in Chinatown have changed that much

Jeff

You are so lucky Jeff, Muriel was the stuff of legends. I Suppose you met quite a few colourful characters there. Alas, I didn't land in London until 89, way beyond its heyday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Despite all of the wonderful Restaurants in London that I was fortunate enough to visit,  the most memorable has to be the infamous Wonkies (Wong Kei). A Cheap and not very cheerful hive of rudeness and abuse in Chinatown. Arranged over several floors with several hundred seats and you were seated wherever they decided to put you. If the staff didn't like the look of you they'd just tell you to **** off. You sat where you were told without complaint, weren't allowed to order anything off the back page and learned not to pay your bill until you were ready to leave as once you'd paid you were out.  The most amusing part of the whole experience was observing the people that had just wandered in from the street and didn't know what was about to hit them. I Loved the place.

I Agree, The Goring is a lovely Hotel. I used to work with Jeremy in another London Hotel in the 90s . I Also used to live around the corner just behind the Irish Embassy, it was a great place to be as a wide eyed 19 year old.

Sometimes, when I look back, I do miss London but then my aversion to cities that developed a little later in life kicks in just to remind me that I belong in the Countryside. 

DW,

We're you with Jeremy when he was a t The Lanesborough under Geoffrey Gelardi

Colin Short was head concierge

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Davey,

🙂

Jeff

Wong Kei is still going strong and insulting diners regularly 

It's in Wardour Street South of Shaftesbury Ave 

19 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

We have a new addition to the household as of this afternoon. Meet Bertie. 

015148c0-6e83-4fb6-a32b-78f30ee0eb80.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

DW.........omg....what a cutie pie😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks guys. He seems a real little character, placid but plucky. His Dad was a Lhasa apso/Shitsu cross and his Mum a really sweet Jack Russell.

Hi DW, Jack Russell's are supposed to be very smart animals!