Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 4/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, Stumblefoot said:

A great looking pie JP!  I have a similar setup (stone on grates) as you, so my question is are you able to get the cheese to properly melt into a gooey mess by placing the pepperoni on top, instead of under, the cheese?  

We like a lightly browned cheese top on our pies and I have yet been able to achieve on the grill what comes so easily in the oven without burning the bottom of the crust on the grill.

The cheese does melt well enough on the grill, but doesn't really brown too much. The difference between how I make grill pizza (which is cooked more from the bottom), vs oven pizza (which gets heat from both the top element and the bottom stone at the same time), is that a grill pizza can't really be overloaded with toppings. If you put too much on, they will stay raw. Unless you want to pre-cook some of your toppings, but then it gets to be more trouble than I need most nights. 

This one had more stuff than most of the ones I cook on the grill. If I had put the sopressata under the cheese, it would not have become crispy at all. So it had to go on the top. And I like some black spots on the bottom crust so the grill works better than the oven for that purpose. Unless you have a super pizza oven like Jeff!

My brother and sister were up this weekend. It was tiring but fun. Hopefully an early night tonight and a restful sleep before yet another week on call.

Now I'm back in Vung Tau from my 'round the world odyssey, I have time to watch a lot of TV. I decided to check out Line of Duty on iPlayer because of Davywavy's post #1773 (I'd seen it on the site but figured it was just another stupid  'cop show'). Wow!... I was wong... it's good... and riveting. Just finished episode 2. 

A few pics from my Cloud 'Cape to Cape':

Port Stanley -

3PNIbB.jpg

O0AK1u.jpg

p42oKG.jpg

Grytviken:

R0kCz9.jpg

UwJWj6.jpg

St. Andrew's Bay -

5ytU3x.jpg

LQUNVz.jpg

Fortuna Bay:

Od1WW6.jpg

QdehGq.jpg

6WyTtE.jpg

Trystan da Cunha -

4CXbCS.jpg

abbB35.jpg

zQ2IVu.jpg

Edited by Bill B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

If I may ask, what is the circular feature in the pic above?

It's wet sand. The elephant seals fling it up with their flippers on to themselves to keep cool.

Just catching up with the news reports of a devastating fire at Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris. Looks like the spire and most of the roof have collapsed and they are desperately trying to prevent even more damage. Tragic.

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx Bill!  Incredible timing on the shot.

I was a VERY difficult shot to get (it took about 20 min., and probably 100 deleted photos) - it's over in less than half a second, you don't know which one will do it and when. Now, I can really appreciate those BBC wildlife camera people.

4 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I think you photographed a metal fish trap Bill ...... 😉

It's a crab trap (there's a 'crab eater' behind the 'elephants'). 😏

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Just catching up with the news reports of a devastating fire at Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris. Looks like the spire and most of the roof have collapsed and they are desperately trying to prevent even more damage. Tragic.

That instantly brought to mind Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. They will rebuild it.

I think my cruising days are done. I can't go back to the 'mainstream' lines now I've been spoiled by Silversea... especially being able to smoke inside in Connoisseur's Corner (The Humidor). I met my eclectic, adoptive dysfunctional family there (we had fun... and got lots of dirty looks from people walking by the glass door). SS does put too much crap in the 'suite' though - the first night, I through out: a chair, a stool, 20 idiotic pillows, 50 satin-covered coat hangers and approx. 15 lb. of Bulgari bath products (just give me 'regular' soap). I put 20 lb. of 'electronics' in a drawer.

Cape to Cape was a great cruise to 'end' on... and we were incredibly lucky with the weather (and the Capt. jigging the 'itinerary' to avoid the storms that continuously circle Antarctica)... and made essentially all the planed 'landings' - almost unheard of!!!

Edited by Bill B

Hi friends,  itinerary is changing due to weather.   We arrive in Bermuda early tomorrow and only stay 1 night.  We are leaving on Thursday and will get into New York on Sat about 3;00pm.  So, I am going to another show on Broadway Saturday night~......who would have thought I would see 2 shows on Broadway in less than 2 weeks!  My flight does not leave till 4:30pm Sunday afternoon.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Good Afternoon All ......

Today’s daily bread was pizza  - for those interested in the dough .... 90% hydration with my no mix/no knead process baked in 90 seconds (I like my one charred - but this was a few seconds too long ...... 🙂) with great leoparding.

8CA19897-2118-48B5-A93F-E62AEFBDB7D9.jpeg

55E9B0E5-D32C-492C-8EB1-2071CCDACAFD.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon All ......

Today’s daily bread was pizza  - for those interested in the dough .... 90% hydration with my no mix/no knead process baked in 90 seconds (I like my one charred - but this was a few seconds too long ...... 🙂) with great leoparding.

8CA19897-2118-48B5-A93F-E62AEFBDB7D9.jpeg

55E9B0E5-D32C-492C-8EB1-2071CCDACAFD.jpeg

A few seconds you say 😟

After getting back from my over two-month sojourn, I realized to make bread (of any sort) I need a bigger kitchen with more counter space (I have a one bedroom apartment with an open plan living room/kitchen). Thank God, unlike China, I can buy good bread here.

There's a planned, all day (08:00-17:00) power cut today. It's hitting 35 C in the shade by noon with 80+% humidity; so, I spent yesterday cooking 'cold' food: roast chicken breasts, a huge batch of potato salad (made with Woolworth's Tangy Mayonnaise I brought back from Cape Town) and coleslaw. My apartment will be unlivable - hot and boring - by 10:00 and I won't be able to continue my Line of Duty-watching marathon (I'm up to season 2). So, I'll just have to spend the day in the pub. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Good news about the extra show Lois. Hope your having a ball.

Lovely pizza Jeff, far better than the 12” ham and pineapple with plastic mozzarella on offer in our local elephants leg in a bun store. 

Welcome home Bill, glad you are enjoying line of duty! Good luck with the power outage.

Did you all wait up to see game of thrones?

On 4/18/2019 at 7:26 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

Welcome home Bill, glad you are enjoying line of duty! Good luck with the power outage.

Did you all wait up to see game of thrones?

Thanks... I don't know if these planned power outages are due to construction; or, Vietnam Power Corp. can make more money by selling it to Cambodia (i.e. the Chinese) than they are allowed to charge their own people. 😉 All I know is it caused a brutal hangover after spending all day drinking cold, 'Saigon Red'. 

Downloading torrent - Game of Thrones E01S08 -  as I write. :classic_biggrin:

Hi friends, back from my cruise last night and I took today off from work to do laundry, etc without rushing.

Overall I had a pretty good cruise but no plans at this time to choose Azamara again.  I posted a thread over on the Azamara board.....omg...……...you would have thought I committed a crime by not "LOVING THEM"...….. I am not doing a review but I had issues and they may have fixed some of them but it was definitely not a Silversea experience (for me anyway).  I tried to write about my experiences and so many people wrote about theirs......why don't they just do their own review???

Anyway, I think I may finally do my 2nd river cruise.

And I hope all of you are doing well:classic_biggrin:

Oh, I did LOVE NYC.....I don't think I mentioned this but we had to get to back to NYC a day early to stay out of bad weather so I was able to see a 2nd Broadway show!!!  Before the cruise I saw BEAUTIFUL...…..then at the end I saw  COME FROM AWAY...…..if you get a chance to see either or both......GO FOR IT!...….they were awesome!:classic_biggrin:

Hi Lois,

Welcome Home! Glad you mostly enjoyed your cruise and double Broadway. I'm looking forward to my first visit to the US in 56DAYS! It's Been made slightly more complicated because OH is being made redundant. They're closing his branch and it will either be just before we go or while we're away. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Overall I had a pretty good cruise but no plans at this time to choose Azamara again.  I posted a thread over on the Azamara board.....omg...……...you would have thought I committed a crime by not "LOVING THEM"...….. I am not doing a review but I had issues and they may have fixed some of them but it was definitely not a Silversea experience (for me anyway).  I tried to write about my experiences and so many people wrote about theirs......why don't they just do their own review???   Anyway, I think I may finally do my 2nd river cruise.  Oh, I did LOVE NYC.....I don't think I mentioned this but we had to get to back to NYC a day early to stay out of bad weather so I was able to see a 2nd Broadway show!!!  Before the cruise I saw BEAUTIFUL...…..then at the end I saw  COME FROM AWAY...…..if you get a chance to see either or both......GO FOR IT!...….they were awesome!:classic_biggrin:

Great updating and comments.  So glad that you loved NYC.  Yes, it's an amazing city with such wonderful cultural, Broadway, etc., options to enjoy.  Will check out your Azamara posting.  Yes, some on these Cruise Critic boards get highly "defensive" in blindly attacking anyone to raise questions and/or share "reality" from sailing on THEIR favorite cruise line.  I am sure you were just being honest. 

Where are you planning for doing your river cruise?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,091 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474