Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

22 hours ago, lincslady said:

I always think of it as a third of a bottle - and one is enough!  If three of us want one, we share a bottle, which works out even cheaper.  We are not as daft as we look up in these benighted parts, you know.  As there are not many pubs in the area this one does very well, and deserves to as they work very hard, but in the local town there were really too many, and some have not made it.

There used to be comic strip in the US called Pogo, and one of the running gags was Mr. Miggle's store where he had a barrel of apples on the porch:  25¢ each, 3 for a dollar...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I always think of it as a third of a bottle - and one is enough!  If three of us want one, we share a bottle, which works out even cheaper.  We are not as daft as we look up in these benighted parts, you know.  As there are not many pubs in the area this one does very well, and deserves to as they work very hard, but in the local town there were really too many, and some have not made it.

😄

There must have been a point in our drinking history that bottles that had always previously been 75cl became 100cl, but perhaps as a result of that change I cannot recall when it all happened.  Perhaps I was dozing. 

I’ve always been fascinated (wifey thinks obsessed) by the common thread through life from the tavernas from way before Roman life to todays pubs etc. In places like Ostia or Pompeii  or Herculaneum or Oplontis, etc   where citizens after a days hard labour would shrug, and wander down from their top-floor insulae and grab a bite in their local taverna. I think most people aren’t aware that Romans lived in blocks of flats and went to the pub or restaurant to eat out and meet friends.  They would eat, drink and squabble about politics etc.  

They were really just like us.  

I have a lovely picture of wifey in an Ostia taverna. 

We must keep them going

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

They were really just like us.  

This is a picture from a museum in Pompeii, or it might be Herculaneum, from our visit to Italy last year.  Of all the amazing things we learned and saw, this one picture haunted me the most.  It was on a wall from a house destroyed in the eruption; the tour guide said it was most likely a painting of the owners of the destroyed home.

Like you say Jeff, just like us.

image.png.ed888e10620af10a525a93f97ecc6a3b.png

• Like 6

Back to music. There are many pieces that are associated with various times in my life. One time that had profound repercussions for me was when we first moved to Queensland. At the hospital a colleague was doing things that doctors shouldn't do.One of the patients came and told me what was happening. The fellow laughed it off and the hospital administration backed him up. Pressure was on me not to do anything. It was the time this song was released.

So I backed up the woman complaining to the Medical Board. He got struck off and I moved hospitals. No physicians left  at the original hospital so now it is a psychiatric clinic.

If the song comes on when I am driving down goes the window and I and the radio are at full blast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks, well, this coming Thursday I am going on my land trip (I think I mentioned it a while back). The time is nearing. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, along with going on the Snake River in what would be a big raft. It has regular seats......We are staying in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and this trip will certainly be different. There are 7 of us and I made sure to get my own room, that is for sure. It is a birthday trip for my very close friend. She is the one who is the planner.....I leave on Thursday morning and will be gone till July 5th. 

I was trying to think back on my last land trip.........at least 10 years ago my sister's and I had a mini reunion up in Toronto.......that was in 2014.

Anyway, this whole trip is VERY casual.......LOL.......looks like we are expecting good weather too.

Any of you coolers been out that way before? Would love to hear any thoughts.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, well, this coming Thursday I am going on my land trip (I think I mentioned it a while back). The time is nearing. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, along with going on the Snake River in what would be a big raft. It has regular seats......We are staying in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and this trip will certainly be different. There are 7 of us and I made sure to get my own room, that is for sure. It is a birthday trip for my very close friend. She is the one who is the planner.....I leave on Thursday morning and will be gone till July 5th. 

I was trying to think back on my last land trip.........at least 10 years ago my sister's and I had a mini reunion up in Toronto.......that was in 2014.

Anyway, this whole trip is VERY casual.......LOL.......looks like we are expecting good weather too.

Any of you coolers been out that way before? Would love to hear any thoughts.

Have a great trip. 🙂

Jeff

We went to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons about 15 years ago. Beautiful landscapes and some great hiking. We had a great time.

We waited until the week after Labor Day so the crowds weren't as bad. And we had some beautiful crisp cool mornings where the hot springs were really steaming! 

Have a great time. It's an iconic place.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2024 at 12:48 AM, QueSeraSera said:

This is a picture from a museum in Pompeii, or it might be Herculaneum, from our visit to Italy last year.  Of all the amazing things we learned and saw, this one picture haunted me the most.  It was on a wall from a house destroyed in the eruption; the tour guide said it was most likely a painting of the owners of the destroyed home.

Like you say Jeff, just like us.

image.png.ed888e10620af10a525a93f97ecc6a3b.png

Is that a box of Johnie Walker Black Label I spy?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Morning Coolers.

Today was Calvados and Choux. 

Help me decide. Diana Krall or Dusty Springfield sing Bacharach at his finest. The voice is clearly a flute or clarinet or oboe - but which is the better?

Jeff

IMG_5828.jpeg

The DK on technicality is possibly the forerunner but the nostalgic reminiscences of our Dusty kicks hell out of the argument. 

• Like 6

Just now, DavyWavey70 said:

The DK on technicality is possibly the forerunner but the nostalgic reminiscences of our Dusty kicks hell out of the argument. 

Spot on.

The Dusty’s studio version is sublime and ahead of this live performance but it has to be Youtube and album tracks just don’t do Youtube well.  It’s odd that DK had good days and bad days - I get the impression she is a nervy performer.  So her studio work is sometimes better than her live work.  

Every American knows that New York is lovely in Autumn (should it be The Fall?) and so my favourite of hers is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

We went to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons about 15 years ago. Beautiful landscapes and some great hiking. We had a great time.

We waited until the week after Labor Day so the crowds weren't as bad. And we had some beautiful crisp cool mornings where the hot springs were really steaming! 

Have a great time. It's an iconic place.

Hi JP, thanks for the input. I appreciate it🙂.

When do you and Chris get back home?

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, thanks for the input. I appreciate it🙂.

When do you and Chris get back home?

Sunday at some point. We're in Changi now, boarding in about 2 hours. Our bags are already on board, which is important. One has a bottle of Dom and the other has two nice reserve reds from Swan River, which we purchased on Thursday. We don't care so much about the dirty clothes... 😉

We arrive back at JFK Saturday around 7PM after the 18-hour flight from Changi, and we'll stay overnight at the TWA Hotel. Sunday morning I'll get our one-way rental and drive home. No way I'll be up for that drive on Saturday night after the flight!

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Sunday at some point. We're in Changi now, boarding in about 2 hours. Our bags are already on board, which is important. One has a bottle of Dom and the other has two nice reserve reds from Swan River, which we purchased on Thursday. We don't care so much about the dirty clothes... 😉

We arrive back at JFK Saturday around 7PM after the 18-hour flight from Changi, and we'll stay overnight at the TWA Hotel. Sunday morning I'll get our one-way rental and drive home. No way I'll be up for that drive on Saturday night after the flight!

I know you don’t need an old soppy decrepit like me to say so, but I might only be an armchair observer but I do observe that of many or most both Chris and You are tracking a really great trajectory and pathway through the boulders of life with adventure and travel and the moment and each other.  

Well done.

Jeff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Morning Coolers.

Today was Calvados and Choux. 

Help me decide. Diana Krall or Dusty Springfield sing Bacharach at his finest. The voice is clearly a flute or clarinet or oboe - but which is the better?

Jeff

IMG_5828.jpeg

Good morning,

Difficult since I like both. My favourite singer for Bacharach sings remains Dionne though.

https://youtu.be/OF2ruuzmJDY

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Good morning,

Difficult since I like both. My favourite singer for Bacharach sings remains Dionne though.

https://youtu.be/OF2ruuzmJDY

...and that should have been Bacharach SONGS obviously. Fat fingers syndrome typing on I-phone while still in the aftermath of doing her best to keep the British pubs going (currently still in London)😉

https://www.google.com/search?q=dionne+warwick+the+look+of+love+videos&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=de&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:57acfa04,vid:zmHGwMs7010,st:0

• Like 1