Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

If you don't mind driving, one option is Olympic National Park on the Olympic Peninsula. It's too big to see in a day but still worth a visit.

Or, spend a day taking the ferries to some of the San Juan Islands. Orcas Island has great scenery from atop Mt. Constitution, and San Juan Island itself has some interesting history. Have you heard of the "Pig War" before? It's an amusing story.

We visited the area probably 20 years ago. We didn't really do much in the city proper, but lots to do in the immediate area. I'll have a peek at some of my old pix from then and see if I can recommend anything else. 

Aren’t you saying don’t visit Seattle  unless you have to?

🙂

Jeff

15 hours ago, Lirio said:

Any recommendation for Seattle?

The Museum of Flight.  We recommended it to some friends we met on our 2022 AK cruise and they spent two full days there.

Seattle Center (home of the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, and the Chihuly Garden and Glass)

Mariners BB game (if they are in town, and playing against anyone who interests you).  I recommend the first base side, far away from where they make garlic fries...

• Like 7

I have been to Sesttle several times......I suggest a visit to Pike's Market. All kinds of food and other merchandise. It is a fun place to visit and lots of restaurant choices with excellent seafood🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In the category of you cant make this up…or two left feet…

I ordered a pair of shoes from Amazon. The photos show the shoes that I received. 

Yikes. I guess that the robot thought they looked the same. And they are both left.

original_a241b4bf-015e-4b3f-b12e-68545cabc47b_20240714_130055_Original.thumb.jpeg.d6e63137e108cb34c56347bb3a4d4dc7.jpeg20240714_130127_Original.thumb.jpeg.29a5c82120afcbed8423f02b082e158d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

35 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I ordered a pair of shoes from Amazon. The photos show the shoes that I received. 

Yikes. I guess that the robot thought they looked the same. And they are both left.

original_a241b4bf-015e-4b3f-b12e-68545cabc47b_20240714_130055_Original.thumb.jpeg.d6e63137e108cb34c56347bb3a4d4dc7.jpeg20240714_130127_Original.thumb.jpeg.29a5c82120afcbed8423f02b082e158d.jpeg

I feel your pain.

It would be easier to grow two left feet than reeducate Amazon.

Jeff

• Haha 2

Winter Sunday as usual, but with grey skies temp 19-22C. On Copacanaba beach, the Jaguar Parade. Brazilian Jaguars are endangered species and the parade is to call attention for the problem and to their protection.

Jaguar1.thumb.jpg.d5d4df9fea4d43dcbc0f38ac49084cc7.jpg

jaguar2.thumb.jpg.73dd21812efce52e540ff35d94896ecf.jpg

jaguar3.thumb.jpg.ed7b7488d904cc856a32aff0d62b9891.jpg

This last one is my favotite photo: the jaguar, Sugar Loaf in the back and Dorival Caymmi at Copacabana

jaguar4.thumb.jpg.9d8f7f3e9729128def6f377a4f5c4b84.jpg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Somewhere out there is your sole mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Thanks,

The closer you look at those Jags, the more extraordinary they are.  

Are the hind legs “buildings”suppose to represent favela?  

Jeff

Yes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I hope they can correct the problem bc those shoes are really cute!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Yes!

Thanks.  I’m so pleased I understood it.

To understand  a bit further.  I’m sort of presuming that the inclusion of favela on the jag has been included in the spirit of celebration of hope rather than a record of failure, despondency and victimhood?  

My understanding of the favela situation is that it has lately been a remarkable bit of progress and whilst not a total completed success story is at least now worthy of some hope and celebration rather than record of failure.  

In summary my understanding is there has been a gradual removal (although uncompleted) of lawlessness and an improvement of relative safety and normality. I say because the representation of  favela on the jag rears was clearly pristine rather than hovels as they could have been represented if so chosen by the artist to imply continued hopelessness.

Is that a reasonable presumption?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Amid the hot humid conditions of July in Southern Virginia this year, the back yard flowers, and their busy bee pollinators, are putting on a bit of a show this year

image.png.03139245cb2c49db7514db5cec08ef52.png

Below is Joe Pye weed, appealing to bees obviously, but grown by my wife as they are a host plant for monarch and swallowtail butterflies (the flower itself not so beautiful)

image.png.b6394edb645f63a775cfbf91fae84980.png

Below some perennials (vinca in purple) we hope will take over their designated area

image.png.9aa799e2c72608b2517cc2460ed803d8.png

Future promises

IMG_1767.jpg

And finally, our new gardening assistant.  Alfie was a rescue from a service that takes dogs in that are going to be euthanized if not adopted.  We were happy to help.  Alfie was lame when we adopted her.  Vet said blunt force trauma had occurred to her hind end.  With vet care and love she can now run like the wind.  Still limps on stairs but who's counting?  

image.png.45eec031356ede4c3b11ff757ad890de.png

Doing this increases my respect for JP and others who post multiple pictures - does it get easier with practice?

Edited by QueSeraSera
spelling
  • Like 12

After much reflection and reading of recent deep postings on this Forum, it has become clear that it is basically a religion.  Like many/most religions, it promises certain rewards for a life lived according to certain precepts.  As one gets older, the proximity of these paybacks becomes more palpable, and more valuable.  It is a reasonable proposition - defer some guilty pleasures in the here and now, in exchange for an eternity of bliss.  Like buying bonds.  Here, in exchange for posting helpful info about travel, playing nice in the sandbox, not being rude, and sharing funny anecdotes, witticisms, and photos of places to visit, food and drink, you get a reliable, regular dose of chuckles, the occasional guffaw, periodic eye rolls, and - importantly - pictures of cute dogs & cats.  

In furtherance of this important mission, I herewith post three photos of Tiramisu, our Old English Sheepdog - 5th in a series of dogs which my wife has had which predate the lesser event of my arrival on the scene.  Tira gets a summer haircut so she can withstand the summer heat in Oregon, but we keep her hair on her head and ears long so she doesn't have an identity crisis.  

The first she is surveying her domain looking down the stairs.  The next is a moment of blissful repose on the balcony off our bedroom, where she sleeps at night. The last is after a dip in the wading pool on a hot day, checking in at the takeout window for a treat.  

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Amid the hot humid conditions of July in Southern Virginia this year, the back yard flowers, and their busy bee pollinators, are putting on a bit of a show this year

Below is Joe Pye weed, appealing to bees obviously, but grown by my wife as they are a host plant for monarch and swallowtail butterflies (the flower itself not so beautiful)

Below some perennials (vinca in purple) we hope will take over their designated area

Future promises

IMG_1767.jpg

And finally, our new gardening assistant.  Alfie was a rescue from a service that takes dogs in that are going to be euthanized if not adopted.  We were happy to help.  Alfie was lame when we adopted her.  Vet said blunt force trauma had occurred to her hind end.  With vet care and love she can now run like the wind.  Still limps on stairs but who's counting?  

Doing this increases my respect for JP and others who post multiple pictures - does it get easier with practice?

Wonderful QSS. I’ve spent the last 20 years encouraging a colony of painted ladies in my turret. A Statement that could easily be misconstrued. They return all over my second (3rd) floor in the Autumn to overwinter. I Gently move them into the turret before they are fully dormant and they all disappear in the spring again. Beautiful beasties that they are. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

After much reflection and reading of recent deep postings on this Forum, it has become clear that it is basically a religion.  Like many/most religions, it promises certain rewards for a life lived according to certain precepts.  As one gets older, the proximity of these paybacks becomes more palpable, and more valuable.  It is a reasonable proposition - defer some guilty pleasures in the here and now, in exchange for an eternity of bliss.  Like buying bonds.  Here, in exchange for posting helpful info about travel, playing nice in the sandbox, not being rude, and sharing funny anecdotes, witticisms, and photos of places to visit, food and drink, you get a reliable, regular dose of chuckles, the occasional guffaw, periodic eye rolls, and - importantly - pictures of cute dogs & cats.  

In furtherance of this important mission, I herewith post three photos of Tiramisu, our Old English Sheepdog - 5th in a series of dogs which my wife has had which predate the lesser event of my arrival on the scene.  Tira gets a summer haircut so she can withstand the summer heat in Oregon, but we keep her hair on her head and ears long so she doesn't have an identity crisis.  

The first she is surveying her domain looking down the stairs.  The next is a moment of blissful repose on the balcony off our bedroom, where she sleeps at night. The last is after a dip in the wading pool on a hot day, checking in at the takeout window for a treat.  

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

I Think she’s a bit of a player WWFT. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Future promises

IMG_1767.jpg

I Wish you many happy years together with Alfie.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

checking in at the takeout window for a treat.  

That is so cute!

8 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Wish you many happy years together with Alfie

Thank you Davy

• Like 1

Just now, MissSophia said:

All creatures great and small…

IMG_0577.jpeg

Wasn’t sure if the pic would appear! 
This is my old beauty Zeta….rescued from a vicious breeding program….sadly when l moved back across the Pennines l had to re-home her but made sure she went to a good one….and she did.

I still miss her 😊

• Like 4