Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Well Rojaan has mainly Welsh and Scots blood. no English blood at all.

I am currently waiting for my DNA results. My 2 grandmothers were from Scotland but my father's family we think mainly English stock.

• Like 5

My great grandmother, Mary Ellen, worked in mid wales as a farm girl, married the old farmers son who sadly died in WW1….late husband’s best friend went to see her and later married her…he died suddenly after which she married for a third time…four children by two of the husbands one of which was my maternal grandmother….

Paternal side was of similar interest with my father born to a chorus girl in the west end of London…l only met her once as he was raised by her sister….so quite a colourful past!! 😊

IMG_3016.jpeg

• Like 6

Both sides of my family have been traced back to France.  My dad's family can to traced back to Bourdet, France with Michel born in 1605.  His son Francois was born in Bourdet in 1625.  His son, also Francois, was born in 1676 in La Rochelle, France and came to Canada somewhere between 1695 - 1699.

On my mother's side the first official record is the marriage of Jean to Jeanne in 1666 at Marennes (on the seacoast of southern France near Bordeaux.  Their son Simon came to New France as a soldier with Lestringant de Saint-Martin (Lestringant de Saint-Martin came to New France as a soldier in 1684) and was in the campaign against the Iroquois below Montreal. 

• Like 7

Lots of fascinating stuff coming out here - chorus girls, and Mysty being pretty well 100% French.  I have just remembered  that on my mother's side some of her cousins etc. had the middle name de Hoghton; mother said they reckoned they were all, including her, related on the 'wrong side of the blanket' to the aristocratic de Hoghton family of Hoghton Tower in Lancashire.  They certainly came from Lancashire, but were I fear a bit pretentious.

• Like 3

Very interesting stories for sure. My dad's mom has a story too....she came to America way back before WW1 from Russia. All by herself on a big boat that landed at Ellis Island and she did not speak a word of English.....

You know there are still people I meet on cruises who say I am brave for cruising solo...I say there is nothing brave about it and it was my Grandma who was the brave one.

• Like 15

We have had our share of colourful ancestors too. One that stands out was my Great Grandfather 8 times removed, Thomas Challinor, Headmaster of Shrewsbury School who stole £600 of the schools coffers to give to King Charles 1 in 1642 at the start of the Civil War. He was dismissed by the Parliamentarians. He was later re-instated when the Monarchy was restored. I Believe that the School still have the I.O.U. signed by the King promising to repay the money. Ive also found a drawing of my Great Great Grandfather who was Chief Constable of Shrewsbury around 1850. It stopped me in my tracks! Apart from the rather spectacular facial hair, it was like looking into a mirror. Ive got back as far as the 1420s on my maternal side but it gets very messy to go any further as they didn't use Surnames commonly in Wales, it was all son of or daughter of. Meet Samuel Challinor.

118320321_10223662674580611_1229120063038183441_n.jpg

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

We neither shake nor stir.  The vodka (not gin) is kept in the freezer.  

Not my drink sorry to say...( I only drink wine any colour )I know that it's not the board to talk cruising but can you remind me when & where you board the silver spirit... 🚢🥂

27 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Not my drink sorry to say...( I only drink wine any colour )I know that it's not the board to talk cruising but can you remind me when & where you board the silver spirit... 🚢🥂

Southampton.  And you?

13 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Southampton.  And you?

Not untill. 25th Oct Venice ... 11 nights off in Athens... What date do you board in Southampton??.. we live not far from Southampton & have experienced several days over the years on board silversea ships when docked in Southampton.. 🥂.. looking forward to maybe meeting you ..

27 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Not untill. 25th Oct Venice ... 11 nights off in Athens... What date do you board in Southampton??.. we live not far from Southampton & have experienced several days over the years on board silversea ships when docked in Southampton.. 🥂.. looking forward to maybe meeting you ..

September 20.  We will see you onboard in Venice.

13 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

September 20.  We will see you onboard in Venice.

Omg. . fabulous so long on the ship before we board ... ( Don't drink all the wine 🍷).. i will be with family ( my sister & brother in-law were on the spirit in April so there are looking forward to being back on her )... Happy sailing from Southampton & see you in Venice.. 🚢🥂

• Like 1

I find genealogy fascinating. I think I've shared some of this previously so forgive me if it's a repeat.

I have three distinct German lineages which I can trace.

The closest is my paternal Grandfather's paternal Grandmother who was born in Lampholdshausen in the early 1830s and came here in 1857, then married my Great-grandfather's father. My GGF was born here in 1859.

Next is the Bellinger family who came here in the early 1700s from Palatine Germany, some probably as mercenaries for the Dutch. They eventually settled in the Mohawk Valley of New York state in places like Herkimer and German Flats. Drums Along the Mohawk, etc. Many fought in the American Revolution, most on the American side though some of my other relatives did not... My maternal GM's maiden name was Bellinger and she was a proud member of the DAR who didn't talk about the other side!

Most distant are the Ten Broecks who came from a part of Germany near the Netherlands in the early 1600s to settle in New Amsterdam and then Fort Orange (which became Albany). Dirk Wessele Ten Broeck was one of the first mayors of Albany in the late 1600s, 12 or so generations back from me.

The last two branches meet up in my maternal Grandmother. She also has emigrants from England in her family tree and once you start digging in England, some royalty are sure to show up. And all European royalty are pretty much related. So I can go back to John I, William I, etc. Then it extends into French royalty including Henry I and Anna of Kiev, which makes Chris very happy that I have a little Ukrainian lineage in me (even though we're probably related)!

My maternal grandfather's line goes back to Sicily in the early 1900s and we can trace it a few generations back from there but since everyone has the same name it gets challenging. 😉

Happy Friday all - off to pick up dinner since we're too lazy to cook tonight!

• Like 12

My genealogy has a little bit of everything, I recently took my DNA test, and the result confirms the family's oral tradition.

My mother's side: My grandfather, a doctor, was the son of a doctor, whose father was also a doctor who came from Germany to Brazil, already a doctor. My great-grandfather married to an Englishwoman Dora Brandon, the daughter of an Englishman who was born, lived and died in London (Frederick Mannassah Brandon). It seems to me that they met in Europe where my great-grandfather went to complete medical studies.

My maternal grandmother is of Portuguese origin and her family was made up of politicians and lawyers. Her father was the son of a former slave married to Portuguese descendants.

My father's side has been in Brazil since the beginning and one of his direct ancestors is from the so-called "four hundred" who are the pioneer families that founded São Paulo. They were merchants.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatrocentão).

We are all immigrants.

• Like 13

Fascinating to read about everyone's antecedents.  And we are honoured to have amongst us a son of the American Revolution!   Indeed, we are all at least partly immigrants.  I remember the song about the melting pot; a lovely idea in principle but I would hate to see us all looking alike, and hope that there will always be people of different colours, with different facial features and languages and not solely a human race of coffee coloured folks.  But more important is that we all try to understand and care for one another.

Here endeth the sermon.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Fascinating to read about everyone's antecedents.  And we are honoured to have amongst us a son of the American Revolution!   Indeed, we are all at least partly immigrants.  I remember the song about the melting pot; a lovely idea in principle but I would hate to see us all looking alike, and hope that there will always be people of different colours, with different facial features and languages and not solely a human race of coffee coloured folks.  But more important is that we all try to understand and care for one another.

Here endeth the sermon.

Amen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been wearing exactly the same grin like Happy for one week now, for the same reason: Holidaying on Sylt! 
The perfect tonic, lots of fresh North Sea air, seagulls making their typical noises, weather perfect too, excellent food... Heaven.

0f366728-4ca4-4dab-863e-d8d77aa43144.jpeg

• Like 7