The Library

gulfcoast

My wife and I are booked on the March 31st Nautica cruise from Hong Kong to Athens and this cruise is 35 days. Because of the length of the cruise I have a strong feeling that the library is going to get a workout. We've not sailed on Oceania before but have noted in their literature that the ships have exceptional libraries. True or not true? If they are typical of the other lines we have sailed I'll be needing to pack some books. Would appreciate any input another reader could give me.

Oceania's libraries are very large, well laid out, and attractive - but on Regatta, the selection of books was not all that good - many many romance novels, little in way of biographies, shipping reference books, etc. I frankly was disappointed in the selection. Luckily perhaps, we were on a very port intensive itinerary, so I did not read as much as I usually do.

The majority of books in Regatta's library had the Renaissance logo on them - it appears that Oceania did not buy new books when they took over the ship.

We're booked to go on Nautica next November - I plan on taking several pocketbooks in case I run into another poor selection.

We have sailed on the Insignia and the Nautica. The library is identical on each ship, and as the last thread stated, are very beautiful. The selection of books does leave something to be desired. I thought of leaving or donating a book on our next cruise, but as it was already pointed out, it would seem Oceania has not invested much in stocking these libraries.

I am not convinced that the problem of the limited selection of books is the fault of Oceania. Before we even leave port the guide and reference books applicable to the itinerary have disapeared. The busiest place on the ship the day of a sailing (after the Polo/Tuscany reservation lines) is the library. I have seen people walk out with 5 or 6 books. The "honor system" simply does not work well here.

Beatrice

I thought the library on the Insignia was the best of any ship I had ever been on. We were on a 17 day cruise with 12 sea days. I was never without one or two good books to read. I'm looking forward to the same on the Nautica.

I also thought the Insignia library was well stocked compared to other cruiselines.

It depends on what your choice of reading material is whether you find something.

I prefer mysteries and they had quite a few but I was too busy to read any books :)

I agree that perhaps it was just that the books on Regatta were not "my interest", however, having seen the same library configuration on Pacific Princess (new), a sister ship to the Oceania ships, I do believe that Princess had a much better selection of books.

It was obvious that they had added many new books to the library when they took it over, and had "chucked" many of the Renaissance books (at least there were not that many books with the Renaissance imprint).

On our recent cruise I didn't spend too much time reading books -- I only read one. I went to the library on the day of embarkation in Singapore, and found several books that look quite current. The one I chose to read was "Freakonomics". I think it was published after the Renaissance days, so maybe Oceania has stocked some new titles in the library.

I am not convinced that the problem of the limited selection of books is the fault of Oceania. Before we even leave port the guide and reference books applicable to the itinerary have disapeared. The busiest place on the ship the day of a sailing (after the Polo/Tuscany reservation lines) is the library. I have seen people walk out with 5 or 6 books. The "honor system" simply does not work well here.

Beatrice

If you think that you will need a "guide" book for a country /port you are visiting why don't you just bring it along?

Can't depend on the ship to have them.:o

Claudia-

I think you missed the point of my post. It was not about whether I had access to guide books (I do my research at home) but whether the "honor system" for borrowing materials was being respected thus making more available for other passengers to enjoy.

Beatrice

Last cruise we were on every am one guy would take a truck load of books and place them on chaises around the pool..making those chaises "taken" for mysterious friends of his..some who never showed..

After a few days of that we just looked for a good book on one of the chaises and had both :) (you know the saying..2 can play at that game)..

If you think that you will need a "guide" book for a country /port you are visiting why don't you just bring it along?

Can't depend on the ship to have them.:o

Claudia

It's not a guide book. While we were on the Amazon cruise, my husband wanted to check something, and EVERY book that was pertinent to the area was gone. It would have been nice to have something available to answer a question one had or check on something. We did our homework before we left,but something popped into his head that he wanted more info on.

I noticed the same thing as Druke - the Regatta library was stocked with books from the Ren days, with an Oceania decal covering the former Ren ex libris plate. However, on our recent cruise aboard the Insignia, I was pleasantly surprised to see an infusion of recent NYTimes bestsellers (with new Oceania book plates), so somebody HAS been paying attention.

I never found myself in wont of something to read from the library (I never cracked open any of the books I carried from home, and cruisers drop off magazines they've brought aboard), but the travel guide hoarders have been a constant pet peeve on Oceania. They grab a handful of books on the first day of the cruise and we don't see the books again until the last. A checkout system wouldn't solve that problem if a person could check out a book for the entire length of the cruise.

Instead, how difficult would it be for Oceania to place a sticker on the front covers of its travel books saying, "FOR REFERENCE ONLY. DO NOT REMOVE FROM LIBRARY"?

Richard...That's a great idea.. but there is always the "guy"........;) who believes those things are not meant for him/her...probably out reading on his balcony and smoking..so

maybe they can chain the books to a table.:D

and there is always the possibility that there are NO books for the port you are visiting being furnished by the ship..( because they have been taken years ago)..just a thought.. and why I said if you think you may need some reference book for your cruise, bring your own.

I really don't understand why they can't have a proper library; like with books that are checked out from a computer catalogue for a certain amount of days, then renewed if nobody else wants them. What's so hard about that? I really don't understand why it has to be so difficult. Second the idea about reference only books that are relevant to the area.

I really don't understand why they can't have a proper library; like with books that are checked out from a computer catalogue for a certain amount of days, then renewed if nobody else wants them. What's so hard about that?

Then they would require a staff member to be there.

It limit the hours you can check books out like on other cruiselines.

I like it the way it is.

Then they would require a staff member to be there.

It limit the hours you can check books out like on other cruiselines.

I like it the way it is.

Unfortunately, what we are faced with are people who are thoughtless, inconsiderate and downright unpleasant in "hogging" books for the entire length of the cruise.

This spring, on the last day, I would guess that well over a hundred books appeared back on the library tables from those who had kept them out for weeks.

I agree that appointing a "librarian" might be a waste of time - we could try throwing the Offenders overboard!

I think that if there were a sign-out book most people would likely sign the books out. There are usually a few people in the labrary and it would be obvious if someone walked out with a book they hadn't signed out. Most of the pax are honest, only thoughtless or forgetful. That way if there were a particular book you were looking for, then you'd at least know who had it and you could politely ask of they're finished with it or to let you know when they've finished with it. If someone wanted to go to the trouble of pretending to sign the book or waited until late at night so they could abscond with a book without signing it out, then so be it. They need the book more than I do

Actually you wouldn't need a staff member there, just a computer and a self checkout machine. You would put your passenger card on the self checkout machine and 'oila' everyone can find out when the book is due back and reserve it if they want it. I actually could see this working; but I know it won't happen - so I agree with Rickey88 - just make sure you get the book back before you dump 'em.

I am on the Regatta and the first thing I did after boarding was go to the library..the shelves were full BUT I will say I did not find any of the current bestsellers on board which is the first time in the 12 times I have been on board this has happened..usually there is a wonderful selection..

Jan

Archived