Island Princess--need internet info

JK3003

Can anyone explain the internet/wifi that can be purchased for use on board Island Princess? (this would be for a laptop we bring) I'm trying to find information on the Princess website but it isn't very helpful and I can't find any information on pricing and really need to know in advance. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Once you book the specific plans available on your ship will be in your Cruise Personalizer.

If you don't have a cruise booked the per-minute plans are listed in the online Gifts and Services Catalog:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $69.00

(This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes)

240 minutes

Item #6039 – $99.00

(This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes)

460 minutes

Item #6302 – $159.00

(This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes)

680 minutes

Item #6301 – $199.00

(This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes)

I was on Island Princess in May and connectivity was fairly reliable, both when logged into the web and when just using the free applications from the ship's intranet network. No word on if/when Island will offer the priced-per-day plans that some other Princess ships have.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Wow, they do it by the minute, I'm not used to that (did Royal Caribbean last year and it was per day). Are you able to hook up one device at a time (but can switch among different devices?)? Thanks again.

If you order (and pay for) the internet time before boarding the ship, you will get a better deal. Just remember you are on a moving ship in the ocean and the connection to the internet is via satellite which is shared by all your fellow pax. There is latency due to using a satellite and there is volume issues depending on how many of your fellow pax are also using the internet with you. Avoid heavy graphics and opt for simple pages downloaded. Be absolutely sure to log off at the end of your session or you internet minutes will be gone shortly. There is a special logoff page.

The intranet is free for use on the ship which allows you to see your folio, day's activities offered, map of ship and a personal messaging (unfortunately no alert a message has been received) and other nice features. It works through your browser and is called Princess@Sea. I find it most useful.

In order to save minutes I will log on and get all my emails check Facebook etc. Then I will log off and answer my email or write new ones while I'm offline. This can take 15 - 25 minutes. Then I log on and send them all at once.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Wow, they do it by the minute, I'm not used to that (did Royal Caribbean last year and it was per day). Are you able to hook up one device at a time (but can switch among different devices?)? Thanks again.

Some ships have the faster PrincessCONNECT internet at three different levels. These are priced by the day. The service is being rolled out on various ships. If your ship has it installed the prices will be listed in the cruise personlizer. If not, it's pay by the slow minute.

I was on Island Princess in May and connectivity was fairly reliable, both when logged into the web and when just using the free applications from the ship's intranet network. No word on if/when Island will offer the priced-per-day plans that some other Princess ships have.

I was on the Island Princess in July, and as we got towards the end of the cruise, they started offering shorter plans. There was a pay as you go plan, and I think a one-day "boarding pass" plan for checking into airlines or such, maybe even a two-day plan.

Once you sign up for the ship-board app, there is a tab for "Internet" that will show you additional plan offerings, as well as give access to the free sites like Princess.com.

Steve S

I was on the Island Princess in July, and as we got towards the end of the cruise, they started offering shorter plans. There was a pay as you go plan, and I think a one-day "boarding pass" plan for checking into airlines or such, maybe even a two-day plan.

Once you sign up for the ship-board app, there is a tab for "Internet" that will show you additional plan offerings, as well as give access to the free sites like Princess.com.

Steve S

Pay as you go is always available. For about double the cost of the larger bucket-of-minutes plans.

And the "print your boarding pass" plan is available on the last day of the cruise, $8.99 for 15 minutes. But with so many people doing so it will take more than 15 minutes to check in from a PC. If you don't have your airlines check-in app on your phone it is a waste of time an money to try.

Pay as you go is always available. For about double the cost of the larger bucket-of-minutes plans.

And the "print your boarding pass" plan is available on the last day of the cruise, $8.99 for 15 minutes. But with so many people doing so it will take more than 15 minutes to check in from a PC. If you don't have your airlines check-in app on your phone it is a waste of time an money to try.

Yes, but my point is that if it's a trade-off between possibly buying a higher plan and leaving unused minutes and buy a lesser plan and fearing running out of minutes, there might be a sweet spot where the pay-as-you-go at the end of the cruise gets you over the hump without needing to buy an excessive plan for your needs.

Steve

Some ships have the faster PrincessCONNECT internet at three different levels. These are priced by the day. The service is being rolled out on various ships. If your ship has it installed the prices will be listed in the cruise personlizer. If not, it's pay by the slow minute.

Yep.

One ticky-tack. More and more ships are getting PrincessCONNECT. Emerald had her new

equipment installed in June, whereupon the existing plans disappeared from Personalizer

for a few weeks, leaving *no* internet plans on offer. Then a new set of offers appeared in

Personalizer: Three tiers of unlimited-minutes plans, and four buy-the-minute bundles.

One caution. There are issues with providing unlimited-minutes north of Seattle/Southamption.

Princess is trying to address them with daily megabyte caps, but I saw that fail on Eurodam

last May when they offered unlimited-minutes-with-daily-caps.