Water Conditions

Alaska Sail

Hello,

I have not been on a ship in over 30 years so I guess my nerves are getting the best of me. How have the waters been on the most recent Alaska cruises this week or last. Looking at the current weather, seems like the Juneau area has been getting a lot of rain. I'm sailing on Saturday and wondering if I should take something for motion sickness though most people say waters are normally relatively calm.

Thanks

We always take some Gravol with us when we travel. Then we bring it home.:)

Actually, if you mean to start taking it before the cruise begins, you might do that, then if the seas are calm, just discontinue taking it...

Another PS, if you are only doing the Inside Passage, it probably will be calm except for a bit of open water (where? - near Juneau, I think). If you are going up all the way in the open water, it may be rougher.

Thanks, we are leaving and returning from Seattle, with stops in Junea, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria. The HAL rep did not call it an inside passage cruise but from what I have read it seems like it may be.

There seems to be alot online about what a true inside passage is. Seems when ships leave out of Seattle, they come out of Puget Sound, into the Srait of Juan de Fuca, into the Pacific, passing Vancouver Island and then into the Hectate Strait. Some people online so not consider this an inside passage.

quote=Vict0riann;56742932]We always take some Gravol with us when we travel. Then we bring it home.:)

Actually, if you mean to start taking it before the cruise begins, you might do that, then if the seas are calm, just discontinue taking it...

Another PS, if you are only doing the Inside Passage, it probably will be calm except for a bit of open water (where? - near Juneau, I think). If you are going up all the way in the open water, it may be rougher.

The seas last week have nothing to do with the seas next week. Sea conditions are not predictable more than 3 or 4 days out, and can change rapidly and frequently.

If you have issues with sea sickness, you must take precautions every day you are on a ship.

Weather is unpredictable.

Today has been a very rainy day in Juneau. Yesterday the winds were so bad that a tug had to help the Westerdam dock.

Last week was a lovely week in Juneau and the other ports.

Do take your sea sick pills or whatever you use with you. It best to be prepared.

If you are leaving from Seattle, you won't be doing the Inside Passage. The cruises that leave from Vancouver do that. We're going to be doing the same cruise as you (14 days) and the sea days are really "sea" days!

I second using Sea Bands. We had super-rough waters for part of our Hawaiian cruise...think "almost hitting one wall then the other walking down the hall" rough. ;) But our Sea Bands kept us feeling fine the entire time.