Norway 2020

Punam

Not even available for bookings yet, but I have a question about the calm (or not so much) of the waters going from Dublin around Norway to see the fijords approx. end of May. Smooth sailing is subective, I understand, but assuming a midship cabin, and given that my only point of comparison in an Alaskan cruise (I'm told that doesn't count because the inside passage is smooth as glass)... anyone here experienced this cruise and willing to give your feedback?

Thank you! :)

Don't worry about weather...it will be what it will be. My experience last year has absolutely no bearing on what you will experience. Focus on the itinerary....and you may find that you want to do Norway with Princess, HAL or Hurtegruten, all of which go up to the north cape. We cruised on Princess...great cruise.

If you are concerned about rocking...a midship cabin on a lower deck will have less movement than high and far forward or aft. Having said that, it's highly unlikely that you will encounter any seas that rock the ship enough for you to notice, irrespective of where your cabin is.

Not even available for bookings yet, but I have a question about the calm (or not so much) of the waters going from Dublin around Norway to see the fijords approx. end of May. Smooth sailing is subective, I understand, but assuming a midship cabin, and given that my only point of comparison in an Alaskan cruise (I'm told that doesn't count because the inside passage is smooth as glass)... anyone here experienced this cruise and willing to give your feedback?

Thank you! :)

We did Southampton to Norway on Eclipse end of May 2017....Calm seas and beautiful weather but of course that can’t be guaranteed.... I took sea sickness tablets the first and second day with a ‘better to be safe than sorry attitude’. Last day as we crossed back I did the same.

On our cruise someone had arranged to take a drone with them and took some stunning video. If you search YouTube Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland you should find it.

Have a fantastic cruise!

We had more of a problem with fog than rocky seas along the Norwegian coast. We've also cruised from Scotland to Copenhagen in seas as smooth as glass - who knew!!!! I was prepared for record setting waves in the North Sea.

You never know what Mother Nature will do that's why the ships stock chicken soup and soda crackers.

Have a great cruise.

We had previously visited Bergen on an NCL cruise a few years ago and wanted to take a cruise to the Arctic Circle. Celebrity doesn't have one, but Royal C and NCL have one. We booked for June 2019 on Serenade of the Seas. Cruise departs from Copenhagen.

We did the Dublin-Dublin Norwegian Fjords Celebrity Eclipse cruise (8 days) in May 2018. We did not encounter ANY rocking or rough seas at all. We were extraordinarily lucky - good to perfect weather straight thru (except first sea day when it poured. Who cares?

it was a bit too chili to use our balcony. after 20+ cruises, This was the ONLY cruise we ever chose to pay for a balcony. We barely used it, but the floor to ceiling window was WONDERFUL. Remember - it never gets totally dark out there.

The fjords cruise is all about the scenery. With the exception of Geiranger (take the tour up the mountain for the views), the towns were small and underwhelming. Restaurants and bars HORRIBLY expensive. We spent less time in the cruise ports on this cruise than any other we've ever taken.

we did do an independent five hour tour in the Shetland Islands. I enjoyed the scenery. DH was bored by it. Maybe because it WAS anticlimactic after the spectacular beauty of the fjords.

plan on bad weather to avoid disappointment. Rejoice if it's good weather.

We were on the Eclipse Southampton to Norway fjords cruise in August 2017. Our weather crossing the North Sea was very good. It was quite cool and frequently rained in norway itself. Just plan on being able to dress in layers and you will be fine. Our weather will not be indicative of your weather; it varies too much. The scenery is gorgeous, the people very friendly and yes it is very expensive. Ours was a very delightful trip.

We had previously visited Bergen on an NCL cruise a few years ago and wanted to take a cruise to the Arctic Circle. Celebrity doesn't have one, but Royal C and NCL have one. We booked for June 2019 on Serenade of the Seas. Cruise departs from Copenhagen.

Prefer Celebrity BUT we booked RCO Serenade - Norway in late May '19 because it was a lot less expensive. Suggest comparing $s. Good Luck

Prefer Celebrity BUT we booked RCO Serenade - Norway in late May '19 because it was a lot less expensive. Suggest comparing $s. Good Luck

We looked at going on Serende in 2019. Wanted to do the Arctic Circle cruise. It was in June, as I recall. I think the June cruise was the only Arctic Circle cruise that year.

Royal C is coming up with better prices when we compare them with NCL and Celebrity for similar cruises. Also, we found on Explorer of the Seas that the MDR food was almost on par with Celebrity. However, the buffet is not as good as Celebrity. Still, as Diamond on Royal, we love the generous Diamond Happy Hour from 4:30 to 8 when you can take drinks out of the lounge and even order a glass of wine with dinner up until 8.