Credit card fraud

Lees Cruisin

"A spokesman for the Financial Ombudsman Service said: 'It's possible that your insurance cover could be affected if you explicitly announce your plans on social media.

'You wouldn't put a poster up on your front lawn saying you're going on holiday.'

The Association of British Insurers also warned home owners to 'think carefully about what you put on social media'."

"Police forces have repeatedly warned that would-be thieves will check social media to see whether property owners have said they will be away, before striking while nobody is home."

A quick trip around Google and you will find plenty of quotes like these.

Even without searching I remember a case not so long back where a couple from Lancashire

kept claiming for illness (Noro etc ) whilst on holiday .

The main evidence put to the crown court was facts pulled from social media sites the couple had posted, resulting in a long prison sentence for the pair.

I am not saying they will trawl everyone's media site but they can and do so at times .

Right ,how much do you want for this bridge ? ;p

Lees Cruisin

Glad to hear your sorted now.

When away we carry money top up cards which are nothing to do with our bank or credit cards which we avoid using and stick to using the top up cards.

Not the cheapest option as some will tell you but we feel safer and should we ever get the bad news you got whilst on holiday ,we still have money via these cards to fall back on .

Sorry, the bridge is still for sale if you want to buy it.

The quotes above are the usual scaremongering nonsense.

Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have an insurance claim denied because someone somewhere knew they were not at home. Get real.

My house (like many) is empty for 12 hours a day and not only do an awful lot of people know, it is damned obvious to anyone who walks up to it. It is inconceivable an insurance company could deny a claim just because a house is empty.

So where would you like the bridge delivered?

You still have milk delivered? I don't think that is done in the U.S. anymore. At least, not anywhere I have lived after 1970. WOW, it's a very nostalgic memory for me. I loved getting the milk delivered.

No. I was referring back to the 1960s and 70s.

Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have an insurance claim denied because someone somewhere knew they were not at home. Get real.

My house (like many) is empty for 12 hours a day and not only do an awful lot of people know, it is damned obvious to anyone who walks up to it. It is inconceivable an insurance company could deny a claim just because a house is empty.

So where would you like the bridge delivered?

I assure you that many an insurance claim has been denied because the claimant has contributed to the accident/burglary/incident.

Police and ombudsman are scaremongers ... :confused: ok

Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have an insurance claim denied because someone somewhere knew they were not at home. Get real.( Not me) the insurance companies who are real .just like the post about the house alarm is real or the man who's dad died with kidney failure they tried to avoid is real .. the insurance companies are real .

That is nothing to do with holiday home insurance is it ? My house insurance asks me how long my house is empty just as my car insurance where it is kept overnight, its risk assessment for day to day life ,which we pay for in our policy. Maybe your home/holiday insurance for your holiday allows you jog off on a world cruise posting selfies on social media as you go without taking reasonable home security responsibilities for yourself.

The answer to that will be fact, when you can say you have done the above with the insurance 's blessing , been burgled and paid out by them . Until then ,keep safe and secure:cool:

So where would you like the bridge delivered?[/quote]

Sorry it is not required anymore ,upon visiting the grandkids today ,they showed me a nice bridge they had now bought for their goldfish bowl. The kids and the fish seem happy with it but I do wish you well and hope you get a buyer soon .

Anyway back on topic , as I said earlier glad Lee got himself sorted and enjoy the rest of his cruise .

Edited by kalos

I assure you that many an insurance claim has been denied because the claimant has contributed to the accident/burglary/incident.
Insurance claims will be denied if you don't inform them of changes in pre existing health conditions.

Totally agree with you. What a load of tosh. How would the insurance company even know your facebook account/username? Another old wives tale 🤔 by the way, I’ll buy that bridge with my nine bob note if it’s still for sale🤣

There was a case in the UK recently. A number of people were contacted and asked if they had been ill on holiday. Suggested they claim mega money for having their holiday spoiled by being sick. They were all putting in claims saying how sick they had been.etc. Would have got away with it had not they all been posting on social media with pictures about how much fun they had been having. How do the police etc get your user names..They don't need them, they go to the likes of FB and request the information they require...with legal paperwork in hand etc. It is not scaremongering to say that if you run a public FB account and post about where you will be for those 3 weeks, the going away date, and the coming back. Should your house be burgled during that period and you try claiming , it would be interesting to know whether the insurance will pay out..as you have put up a big sign saying hey i'm empty..nobody here...

Thanks for this clarification.

An interesting read for everyone.

I have not googled the name, but for those who have, I suggest you report the offender by clicking on the "report post" triangle, found just to the left of the specific post number. Moderators do act if notified about problems on the forums, I always report problem posts I have seen. If not reported, then moderators will not know about it.