Zaanse Schans (Amsterdam) DIY. Windmills, Dutch Cheese shop, & Wooden Shoes

Going to Amsterdam and want to see a real working windmill? I was disappointed when I was there for a day and learned all the morning tours for the next day were booked. I figured for an organized tour with transportation, translation, and help with food it was worth the 70-80 euros per person. I figured instead I would just walk around town the next morning and see what the city offered versus making the trip outside of downtown to Zaanse Schans.

Since I was staying next to Amsterdam Central Station and where the cruise ships parked, I knew public transportation had to offer some options. I did some quick research and learned I could take a public bus directly to Zaanse Schans for 10 euros round trip with buses running every 15 minutes. Amsterdam Central Station is a just an easy 10 walk from the cruise ships or trolleys could get your there in a few minutes. Once at Central station, a train was also an option and slightly faster but required a 15 minute walk from the station to Zaanse Schans versus the bus which dropped you just a couple minutes away. So the overall duration was the same but walk or ride was the choice which you should consider local weather conditions also.

TIP - Highly recommend arriving if possible just prior to 9am. All the tour buses (hundreds if not thousands of folks) start arriving around 915-930am. We arrived at 845 and had a great experience with the place being empty and even help local folks open and start a wind mill before it opened to the public (see video). Certainly an unforgettable experience.

While Windmills have a per person admission fee (around 5 euros) all other sites like the local cheese factory and wooden shoe museum/factory and demo were free. We were sitting next to folks in organized tours from downtown and cruise ships during the wooden shoe demo that likely paid 80 euros per person compared to our 10 euros (per adult and children 1 euro). In addition we could go at our own pace and set our own agenda.

The public bus ride back was great and nonstop (around 25 minutes). The bus trip going made a couple of stops but no changes were required so transit time going was about 35 minutes. You can buy your fare at the main station prior to leaving however child fares must be purchased when boarding.

Highly recommend seeing Zaanse Schans and DIY! Save money and time and have more flexibility. Check out the video of what Zaanse Schans offers. See Holland outside of the city and still have some time to walk around Amsterdam. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any travel tips!

S34PN-YwOxI

I always tell people how easy it is to do Zaanse Schans by bus or train. The trainstation even was renamed into Zaandijk Zaanse Schans. Walking from the station you will have the best view over Zaanse Schans and the windmills walking over the bridge. Indeed the busstop is closer to Zaanse Schans.

We did the self train route.... the ticket desk even asked how fast we were as we had 10 minutes to get to the platform before the train arrived... we made it 😉 walked past the chocolate factory over the bridge into windmill territory

Would recommend diy

We loved Zaanse Schans. We spent a week in Amsterdam after our cruise to Norway and decided to go there for the day. On our way to take the train, we had lunch at a local restaurant just to the right once you pass over the bridge. It was great! The views from the bridge made great pictures. Next to the restaurant there is a bakery that had a lot of good selections. Walking to the train station was not bad at all. It is true that the tours come in large numbers. But it's a large open area except when you go in the shops. Well worth a day trip.

We will be there next week - definitely DIY! We are renting a car for several days and plan to make a day out of Zaanse Schans, Volendam & Marken. Your video was fantastic. I am really excited to see this part of the Netherlands.:D

Thanks for the nice comments - had a great time and sure you will also!

We loved our visit to Zaanse Schans too.

We had no problem going by train - the folks at the train station were very helpful.

The area near the chocolate factory smelled great on our walk to the windmills. We grabbed a quick lunch at a bakery before we walked over the bridge.

We enjoyed walking around the area and watching demonstrations on making wooden shoes etc.