Carnival Credit Card

cruiserll

My thought is that for most people, trying to get that extra 1% here or there is really not worth the very low return. I need my Sams card for this or that, Amex for this, Carnival card for that, Amazon card for Amazon, Citi card for travel, etc. etc.

I think if the "average" person does the math, it's a VERY low return on all the extra fuss. For people who spend quite a bit, it becomes more lucrative.

I'm with you on that. You kind of need to cruise a lot and spend a lot of money on cruising to make it worthwhile. For me the math has worked out better than a general rewards card (which I have too).

I have the NCL card too and it gives you triple points for Norwegian purchases so that is a straight 3% back card. However, they only redeem at something like 80 cents per 100 points unless you redeem $250 or more when it becomes $1 per 100. So I have to wait until 25000 points before redeeming but factor in the $100 bonus from that and it is better than anything mentioned here for NCL only purchases. :)

I have one but never use it. I’d rather use my Alaska airlines CC. Plus I pay for my cruises using the aarp discount gift cards so I just never find myself using it.

We use our 2% cash back card to purchase the 10%-off AARP gift cards.

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are they? I booked a $299.99 shore excursion and they rebated me back $30 (10%). Every time I buy FTTF it is 10% cheaper as well. You get double points on Carnival spending which means for $5000 I get back $100 in statement credit. (so 2%)

So if you use the Carnival Card for Carnival spending and do not carry a balance I think it is pretty decent.

Am I missing something with the math? It does not sound terrible to me.

It’s terrible because you’re stuck with Carnival. Get a better CC that gives you cash back or let’s you redeem points for ANY travel expense. Buy the 10% off Carnival Gift Cards with your 2% or better CC and use them for your Booking, Shore Excursions, and FTTF.

Since I’m about done with Carnival I’m glad I don’t have a bunch of points I have to worry about not using. I do, however, enjoy “erasing” many of my travel expenses such as Uber, and any seat upgrades I may purchase with my free airfare.

Haven’t used my Carnival card since I got the initial free $100 offer.

Like I said, factor in the $100 initial bonus and the 10% excursions discount and the math looks better. For example, if I go on 5 cruises and spend $100 on FFTF for all of them I am getting back $50. I would need to spend $5000 to make that up at 1% more cashback. (2% vs 3%) Factor in the original $100 bonus and I would need to spend $15000 on the 3% card to make it even.

I'm just looking at the math with the bonuses and such.

I see where the math works for you. For us we do not need FTTF and do our excursions privately so 3% with Sams works for us.

It’s terrible because you’re stuck with Carnival. Get a better CC that gives you cash back or let’s you redeem points for ANY travel expense. Buy the 10% off Carnival Gift Cards with your 2% or better CC and use them for your Booking, Shore Excursions, and FTTF.

Since I’m about done with Carnival I’m glad I don’t have a bunch of points I have to worry about not using. I do, however, enjoy “erasing” many of my travel expenses such as Uber, and any seat upgrades I may purchase with my free airfare.

Leaving Carnival to go to the dark side? Who would have thought?:):)

Like I said, factor in the $100 initial bonus and the 10% excursions discount and the math looks better. For example, if I go on 5 cruises and spend $100 on FFTF for all of them I am getting back $50. I would need to spend $5000 to make that up at 1% more cashback. (2% vs 3%) Factor in the original $100 bonus and I would need to spend $15000 on the 3% card to make it even.

I'm just looking at the math with the bonuses and such.

Good point, those 10% are pretty good.

Leaving Carnival to go to the dark side? Who would have thought?:):)

Hahahahaha! Not even sure I’ll be going on Edge in January. I had so much fun staying at Little French Key at the beginning of the month that I’m thinking I may just do that again instead. It was truly magical. You should do it sometime!

Thanks for sharing. The 3% on travel sounds nice for the Sam's Club card. Although it would take awhile to catch up to the Carnival card for pure Carnival purchases because Carnival gives you $100 right up front.

Get a Capital One Card. There are several to choose from. With the Venture card, you get 2x points all the time and free $500 worth of travel for ANYTHING. The annual fee of $95 is waived the first year. Even with that, you’re still years ahead of the Carnival Card. There are others that have sign up bonuses to the tune of $150 and no annual fee, but you earn less points like 1.25 per dollar spent or maybe more. There are more options with different brands that could be better, but I’m just stating one company that I’m very familiar with.

Hahahahaha! Not even sure I’ll be going on Edge in January. I had so much fun staying at Little French Key at the beginning of the month that I’m thinking I may just do that again instead. It was truly magical. You should do it sometime!

I think I would get bored after a day or two.

Just back from cruise around British Isles with 8 ports and that suits me just fine.

We do have one booked on Carnival in Oct and 8 day S Caribbean. Four ports four beach days with 3 sea days. Sound just about right.

We do prefer to see the world on our cruises these days.:)

You are not stuck with using points with Carnival, you can use it for merchandise I know. My wife manages the Carnival MC and I know she used points to get other items, I can't swear it but I seem to want to think you could use it to book other travel as well. Myself I have Capital One MC and earn cash back and I don't know if they are the best I have just had it so long and I am not going to spend time on finding out if I am missing some pennies. Like all things there is something out there for everyone, what works best for you may not work best for someone else. Not done enough with Carnival to not hang around the CCL forums eh?

I think I would get bored after a day or two.

Just back from cruise around British Isles with 8 ports and that suits me just fine.

We do have one booked on Carnival in Oct and 8 day S Caribbean. Four ports four beach days with 3 sea days. Sound just about right.

We do prefer to see the world on our cruises these days.:)

I thought so too and that’s why we only stayed 3 nights. But we absolutely weren’t bored. There was so much to do believe it or not. We got to play with baby lions every night and hold the baby jaguars in the day. We even went across the water to the Sloth and Monkey place where we got to hold a Sloth, play with monkeys, and had big Macaws perched on us. The Beach House is gorgeous and to wake up every morning to the animals making their noises and peacocks on the deck, I couldn’t have had a better time.

We want to stay for a day or 2 longer next time. Tricky part is the flight schedules in and out of RTB. Nothing like going to Miami!

You are not stuck with using points with Carnival, you can use it for merchandise I know. My wife manages the Carnival MC and I know she used points to get other items, I can't swear it but I seem to want to think you could use it to book other travel as well. Myself I have Capital One MC and earn cash back and I don't know if they are the best I have just had it so long and I am not going to spend time on finding out if I am missing some pennies. Like all things there is something out there for everyone, what works best for you may not work best for someone else. Not done enough with Carnival to not hang around the CCL forums eh?

The redemption rates for merchandise isn’t good at all. At least not last time I checked. I can hang out here all I want. I haven’t sworn Carnival off entirely, just don’t have any plans to go back in the near future. I’m sorry, is there a requirement that you have to plan on sailing in the near future or have a cruise booked to be able to post?

The redemption rates for merchandise isn’t good at all. At least not last time I checked. I can hang out here all I want. I haven’t sworn Carnival off entirely, just don’t have any plans to go back in the near future. I’m sorry, is there a requirement that you have to plan on sailing in the near future or have a cruise booked to be able to post?

These days maybe 20% of our cruises are with Carnival and I find the boards interesting enough to still post here. People who have the knowledge that you have should be encourage to post whereever they choose

I'm not stuck with Carnival. As I mentioned in other posts I have other cards including NCL and other rewards card. :)

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is the ultimate travel card. 4.5% back on travel and dining when redeemed for limitless travel options. Not to mention free travel insurance.

I was thinking of the Carnival card because some people seem to have gotten good offers just for being a cardholder. Haven't pulled that trigger yet.

I'm not stuck with Carnival. As I mentioned in other posts I have other cards including NCL and other rewards card. :)

I saw that. What I was saying is that the Carnival card is that if you use it exclusively to get points (like some have said they do), then your stuck redeeming them on Carnival and that’s why it’s terrible IMHO. Even for the free $100 (which is why I initially got it as well), you’re still better off with a general travel card such as the couple I mentioned or even others to earn points and a greater initial sign up bonus. Any 10% savings you get with the Carnival Card for Shore Excursions can be matched buy buying the discounted gift cards. But like I said, I don’t purchase Carnival excursions with the exception of a Villa at HMC so it’s of no use to me.

I think the Carnival CC or really any cruise line specific card isn’t a good deal because you have to use it for that brand. At least it looked that way to me from the couple I had glanced at awhile back. I would rather have much more flexibility as to how to use my rewards and earn more points on everyday purchases, therefore, rewarding myself much quicker for the vacation of my choice.

I have the Carnival Mastercard and twice have had enough points for pre-paid gratuities for 2 people on an 8 day cruise. I also like it because there is no fee for foreign purchases. I go to Scotland every year or two and it saves me money then. Since I pay off my balance monthly the high interest rate doesn't bother me. Glad I got it.

I have the Carnival Mastercard and twice have had enough points for pre-paid gratuities for 2 people on an 8 day cruise. I also like it because there is no fee for foreign purchases. I go to Scotland every year or two and it saves me money then. Since I pay off my balance monthly the high interest rate doesn't bother me. Glad I got it.

Imagine how much more you could have saved if you had a better card that earned you more points everyday. Seems like no foreign transaction fees is pretty common amongst most CC lately. I agree about not letting the interest rate be a deterrent when you don't carry a balance. I'm the same way.

I saw that. What I was saying is that the Carnival card is that if you use it exclusively to get points (like some have said they do), then your stuck redeeming them on Carnival and that’s why it’s terrible IMHO. Even for the free $100 (which is why I initially got it as well), you’re still better off with a general travel card such as the couple I mentioned or even others to earn points and a greater initial sign up bonus. Any 10% savings you get with the Carnival Card for Shore Excursions can be matched buy buying the discounted gift cards. But like I said, I don’t purchase Carnival excursions with the exception of a Villa at HMC so it’s of no use to me.

I think the Carnival CC or really any cruise line specific card isn’t a good deal because you have to use it for that brand. At least it looked that way to me from the couple I had glanced at awhile back. I would rather have much more flexibility as to how to use my rewards and earn more points on everyday purchases, therefore, rewarding myself much quicker for the vacation of my choice.

I use the Carnival points for statement credits against my Carnival purchases so it works out OK for me. Most recently I ordered Internet package and soda/snacks for the room and it was like $120. I used the reward points to wipe the charge off so it worked for me. (2nd time I've done that actually) So basically, I keep it all to Carnival stuff and that math has been OK for me thus far. :)

I use the Carnival points for statement credits against my Carnival purchases so it works out OK for me. Most recently I ordered Internet package and soda/snacks for the room and it was like $120. I used the reward points to wipe the charge off so it worked for me. (2nd time I've done that actually) So basically, I keep it all to Carnival stuff and that math has been OK for me thus far. :)

I understand. All I'm saying is for normal everyday purchases you need to spend twice as much as another card that gives you 2% back vs the 1% Carnival does. I buy those things such as internet, drink packages, whatever, with 10% off (or more when I can find them) gift cards. The only thing that's worse IMHO than the Carnival Card is people that use their debit card with no return. That's giving away free money.