Cunarder Autumn 2018 Modern or Cheap ?

Pennbank

This was either our 2nd or 3rd issue if I remember correctly. Not something that we pay two close attention to but it does always trigger great memories and get us yearning for the next voyage. So I guess Cunard is achieving their goal with the publication since we are departing SH on the QM2 in little over a week:)

Very disappointed with it. I usually save them ,however this edition will go into the recycling bin later this week.

To much retail advertising and not enough news of "Cunard Onboard Life" , nothing about World Club repeat guests or those hard working white star Crew members.

Definitely 'meh', glad its 'free'

Though there might be some tempters about the QE refit or the new ship. How about the a day in the life of a 'xxxx'. we were on Arcadia's Maiden Cruise, and our steward was featured in the P&O magazine shortly afterwards.

If they were going to expand the content (35 pages as opposed to 27 in the April edition) I would have preferred to see more content about the ships' themselves rather than large colour photos about the destinations, accompanied by a minimal amount of text.

I missed the stars of the month feature too - but I wonder whether its omission, together with that of the top sailors, has anything do with the new safeguards introduced by the Data Protection Act 2018 - it is something we are wrestling with in connection with the use of staff photographs where I work.

That said, I think replacing this content with an advertising feature about stationery shows a total lack of imagination.

By the way, did anyone notice the footnote to the item on page 4 about the new room service menu? It referred to the fact that some items may be charged for. I remember being asked to complete a survey about possible changes to room service a few months back and a number of questions were posed around whether I would be prepared to pay for certain items or at certain times. I don't recall any mention recently on the forum of this subject so I wonder if it is a very new change, so comment hasn't yet reached this board.

I missed the stars of the month feature too - but I wonder whether its omission, together with that of the top sailors, has anything do with the new safeguards introduced by the Data Protection Act 2018 - it is something we are wrestling with in connection with the use of staff photographs where I work.

That said, I think replacing this content with an advertising feature about stationery shows a total lack of imagination.

Would one way around issues with the Data Protection Act 2018 be to obtain the permission of the star of the month to use their photograph.

So far as the actual magazine is concerned thought it was a very poor read, poor content with no substance.

No need to do any wrestling at work- just ask your staff for permission to use their photos and details needed.

Last time I was on board in May I'm sure there was a cheese plate on the room service menu which was chargeable so hopefully that and the usual caviar etc will be chargeable.

Yes this is nothing new and hopefully nothing to be alarmed about . Certain food items Britannia guests often request via room service for entertaining in their stateroom, ie; nibbles, canapés, caviar and cheese plates etc, have always been chargeable.

I don't think Cunard are going down the route of 'chargeable room service items' for the foreseeable future ( yet) ;)

No need to do any wrestling at work- just ask your staff for permission to use their photos and details needed.

We do - requesting written permission from people who are dispersed nationally and internationally and often working non-standard hours is a lot of extra work - which is why I thought Cunard might have decided to dispense with these features because of the additional effort involved. Far easier to try to sell us some expensive notepads next time we are on board!!