Would you book 4078 Koningsdam?

RMLincoln

I just got a very low quote for room 4078 Koningsdam, partially (or maybe fully?) obstructed balcony (VH)... then I looked at it's location and it's over the Queen's Lounge where the BB King band plays. Maybe that's why it's still available?

For another ~ $150pp we can get a steel rail balcony (VF) in the bow, so that's our other option just now. The cruise is 21 days, 2 loops Caribbean, southern and eastern, Nov 11, so not a lot of availability. TA says we're within the Final Payment window, 90 days, so no debates about non-refundable deposits!

Thanks for your thoughts. m--

I think I would avoid that area, above the BB Kings venue. They are LOUD. If you like to go to bed early you might find they keep you awake.

Is the VF with the steel balcony on deck 4 in the bow? That could be noisy too if it is above the World Stage. The shows finish about 10:45 pm, but I have heard that sometimes the dancers, singers and musicians sometimes practice in there late at night, also being a possible disturbance to good sleep.

I stayed in 4093 (basically across on the other side of the ship) for two weeks last year. You could definitely hear the music from QL each night. What was really odd was you couldn't hear it in the hallway but you could definitely hear it in the cabin. To me it would really depend on how late you stay up. While I was on, they would start at 10:30pm and go for about 45 mins. I stayed up late enough that it didn't wake me up but I remember having to turn the tv volume up because of the music. I didn't hear them practicing at any time of the day.

I was also over the boutique/stores, and I found it very loud when they would open and close the metal gate doors of the stores (either because the boutique was opening or closing or when they were letting staff in while they were closed). So again, if you like to sleep late, that might be a concern?

Having said that, I would still choose that cabin over a bow cabin with a steel rail (due to possible motion and not having a glass balcony) but that is all about personal preferences I suppose.

Good luck with your decision making! :)

Thanks for the extra information. I'm going to sleep on it but am leaning toward the forward, steel-rail balcony. I think we'll enjoy the bigger balcony - even though it's solid at least it's not obstructed. And has to be quieter. For 21 days my guess is we'd be glad we spent the extra money to be comfortable. And the longer walks, well just more steps in the Fit Bit! m--

Went with 4012! Not a surprise... It's the bow location and has a steel-railing balcony, but a BIG balcony.

It would have been a bigger price leap than we wanted to pay for a see-through balcony (from what limited availability is left), and the OV I looked at wasn't really any cheaper than 4012, and also in the bow.

I read a review on the site that has some HAL facts about 4005, a room similar to 4012 telling me that noise was not a problem from the World Stage, so that was encouraging.

DH doesn't think wave action will be that much of an issue because of all the different directions we will be going on the two loops, not a cross-Pacific cruise or even a trans-Atlantic where you go in one direction for 7 days or more, and the pitching can get annoying... and he's the one of us who get more seasick; Deck 4 isn't all that high and we're hoping for the best - but we will bring our Sea Bands and Bonine!

So that's the digest of the thinking and we bought it, paid in full 79 days out... I thought final payment was usually 75 days out, but TA said now it's 90. I've used him for many years and wasn't about to argue for 4 days.

I'm excited! We'll have a 3 week cruise!! A room with a couch! AND a balcony, something we rarely go for, and a LARGE balcony at that! On a ship that has the Lincoln Center Stage, which we are looking forward to soaking up! I'm picturing sitting outside enjoying lots of room service meals, just hanging out. Only two new ports for us, but a ton of R&R. Oh yeah.... Thanks for chiming in! CCers are the best! m--

Aww, thanks Daisyloo. We decided to try the newer ships because of the better classical music venue. K'dam's inside rooms are very compact, no couches, maybe no chairs even in some, so I went up a couple of notches, but still a good price for us and I'm totally excited about the glam of the new ship, the newer venues, dining, all of it! Never thought I'd say that... but I AM. Glad to hear that you enjoyed K'dam, I'm sure we will too, and we'll be ready for a vacation....

Soon we're going on a 6 week road trip (New Mexico to Ontario and back) - a combination adventure of visits, house-boating and lots of kayaking... and the cruise will be our "vacation" from the adventure. I just finished booking the cruise-related flights - horrible choices! Must be a lot of ships in PE the day we leave... and I now have 3 hotel reservations - 2 pre- and one post-cruise... need a room near the airport the night before we leave, then in FLL the night before the cruise, then again in FLL the night we disembark because only very expensive flights were still available for Dec 2! But it will all be grand! I'm excited. Didn't see this one comin' so it was a big surprise to get the email with the deals.... then went to our TA for an even better deal, couldn't pass it up.... did ya get the sense that I'm excited?? I gotta spiral down so I'll be able to sleep tonight, but what FUN! m--

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise, enjoy the big balcony.

Many thanks to you J&P! Trusting all is well with you both, keeping too busy I imagine, as are we here! Begin a great day as I go to bed! What a day it's been.... all good! m--

The Koningsdam will be in dry dock after your cruise, Dec. 2-10.

Oh well... I guess "them's the breaks"! I saw that there was a gap in the itineraries and thought maybe it was a week of a charter. But this is the only time for this 21 day itinerary on her, so we'll make the best of it, maybe get to meet some of the maintenance crews the last few days :). m--