New to River Cruising, need help!

deerby27

While being a veteran of almost 50 large ship cruises, bookings River cruise has become quite a challenge. We are looking at Viking River cruise from Paris next October. I have been trying to pour through the cancelation policy and all the legalese. Every cruise line I have dealt with lets you cancel for any reason before the final payment is made. Is this the case with Viking? The way I read their policy is you would be charged. $100.00 fee if cancelled before the final payment and then a graduated scale for cancellation s closer to the sailing date. Are there any other pitfalls I might need to know? Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While being a veteran of almost 50 large ship cruises, bookings River cruise has become quite a challenge. We are looking at Viking River cruise from Paris next October. I have been trying to pour through the cancelation policy and all the legalese. Every cruise line I have dealt with lets you cancel for any reason before the final payment is made. Is this the case with Viking? The way I read their policy is you would be charged. $100.00 fee if cancelled before the final payment and then a graduated scale for cancellation s closer to the sailing date. Are there any other pitfalls I might need to know? Please help.

Yes, it is confusing. Glad you asked.

On Viking, final payment is usually at the end of the month in which you book (See example below). You can and should negotiate for a later pay in full date at the time of booking but the best you will get is 6 months prior to sailing (180 days prior to sailing, more or less). Sometimes, you have to press really hard on changing the pay in full but it can be done. Do not pay your deposit until you get the pay in full 6 month prior to sailing concession; once you have paid the deposit, you have agreed to the pay in full date and they will not change it.

Cancellation penalties beyond the $100 cancellation fee kick in at day 119 prior to sailing (per the chart that you studied). In other words, pay in full date and the penalty phase have two different dates. So yes, you can cancel anytime up to pay in full but there will still be time after your pay in full date before the cancellation penalties kick in. Up to 120 days prior to sailing the cancellation fee is $100pp; after that it is per the chart in the terms and conditions that you have read.

[
An example
from booking terms and conditions for the August, 2018 deals see Booking Terms & Conditions:

2018:
Book by August 31, 2018; pay in full by August 31, 2018 or within 90 days of departure, if earlier.
2019:
Book by August 31, 2018; pay in full by September 30, 2018.
2020:
Book by August 31, 2018; pay in full by December 31, 2018. Offer expires August 31, 2018.]

Most other cruise lines deposits are completely non-refundable. However, their pay in full dates are generally 90 or 120 days out. You have to decide if you need to insure from the date of booking, remembering that insurance generally doesn’t reimburse the cost of the insurance.

Uniworld's policy is that they refund all but $200/pax, but that amount can be applied to a future cruise for up to 5 years. Like Viking, Amawaterways has a nonrefundable deposit, and Avalon does, as well.

Robin

Uniworld's policy is that they refund all but $200/pax, but that amount can be applied to a future cruise for up to 5 years. Like Viking, Amawaterways has a nonrefundable deposit, and Avalon does, as well.

Robin

Viking's deposit is $500 per person. If you cancel before 120 days out, you get all but $100pp back.

Viking's deposit is $500 per person. If you cancel before 120 days out, you get all but $100pp back.

I guess I didn't clarify....I meant that other companies also had a certain amount which was nonrefundable, not necessarily the entire "deposit':)

Robin

Since you’re new you might not be aware that Viking does not dock in Paris but an hour away. The Viking ships are simply too long to dock in Paris. Many other lines actually dock in Paris in view of the Eiffel Tower.

This is true! Our Viking trip in April docked in the Paris suburb of Le Pecq. This is a charming, upscale neighborhood with great shopping, cafes, and parks. It is about a 45 minute drive into Paris. Viking then shuttles you into the heart of the city.