Jan Swartz onboard Golden

seattleslew

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to think that way. If they cannot deliver top notch service to the average passenger then they have no chance of delivering it to a corporate.

I can tell you have never served in any branch of the military where standards are expected to be uniform all the time. You see in the Navy for example when cleaning the ship for rounds it is to be cleaned as if an Admiral is doing an inspection and cleaned to that level the entire time. If you put on extra special services or put in more effort for a leader then it means you are simply not trying hard enough.

In the corporate world I would imagine that is a very poor turnout for shareholders as it means they are not getting their moneys worth with crew slacking off when they could be putting in top effort the entire time.

You are just too weak and not tough enough when it comes to demanding the best of the best.

I understand what you are saying and agree in principal. My husband served in the Navy and I don't necessarily agree with your comment on standards upheld 100% of the time.

I am a woman, so maybe I am weak and not as tough as you. If you are, then I get where you are coming from. But I still don't think you are being realistic, especially in the non-military environment of today. But then I will agree to disagree with you and understand your position completely. In fact, I agree with you 110% that it should be your way; I just don't think it is realistic, especially in today's world, that's all.

Pooh

I got off the ship on 8/25. I can attest that there was a lot of cleaning' date=' painting, and varnishing going on, but I took it as routine maintenance till I read this thread.[/quote']

I would hate to the crew member or supervisor in charge of that section that failed to do his part in the cleaning prep. :eek:

I understand what you are saying and agree in principal. My husband served in the Navy and I don't necessarily agree with your comment on standards upheld 100% of the time.

I am a woman, so maybe I am weak and not as tough as you. If you are, then I get where you are coming from. But I still don't think you are being realistic, especially in the non-military environment of today. But then I will agree to disagree with you and understand your position completely. In fact, I agree with you 110% that it should be your way; I just don't think it is realistic, especially in today's world, that's all.

Pooh

That is fair enough. The striking point for me that a VIP or executive will not get a true feel for the company unless they are treated like an ordinary passenger. They will go away thinking that this is normal, nothing to see here and the crew will just slack off again after.

It is hard work to maintain a ship but it also pays to maintain it because it saves money and more effort in the long term by making sure a ship and all its facilities operate and are clean constantly opposed to letting things run down where it takes more hours to perform maintenance and repair and costs for repairs rise.

As one small example basic tasks like wiping down the balcony handrails with fresh or salt water daily goes a long way to making sure the railings stay varnished and clean the whole time. Have you ever seen what the railings are like when they are not maintained. The ships crew normally remove them in sections, scrape them right back and sand them and re varnish them. The life and aesthetic look of something like that can be extended on a ship simply by wiping the salt spray off on a daily basis and reduces the amount of time it needs to be completely re varnished.

No one really knows why she is going. Maybe it is a simple meeting with the Matride or Captain. The ship is doing what they can to make it look good because she will be there. I have to say most Princess ships I have been on have been extremely clean and would impress most VPs or President's of a company.

No one really knows why she is going. Maybe it is a simple meeting with the Matride or Captain. The ship is doing what they can to make it look good because she will be there. I have to say most Princess ships I have been on have been extremely clean and would impress most VPs or President's of a company.

I'll bet the supervisors of each dept don't share that opinion.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to think that way. If they cannot deliver top notch service to the average passenger then they have no chance of delivering it to a corporate.

I can tell you have never served in any branch of the military where standards are expected to be uniform all the time. You see in the Navy for example when cleaning the ship for rounds it is to be cleaned as if an Admiral is doing an inspection and cleaned to that level the entire time. If you put on extra special services or put in more effort for a leader then it means you are simply not trying hard enough.

In the corporate world I would imagine that is a very poor turnout for shareholders as it means they are not getting their moneys worth with crew slacking off when they could be putting in top effort the entire time.

You are just too weak and not tough enough when it comes to demanding the best of the best.

After reading this, I will have to ask the wife why she doesn't clean house everyday like she does when she knows we are going to have visitors to our home. Also, I will have to feel guilty if I don't mow the yard everyday.

I'll bet the supervisors of each dept don't share that opinion.

The main area I am concerned about is the kitchen area and Princess usually does really well on surprise inspections.

She came on a ship I was on one time for a photo session and to present an award. No “inspection” Mike

It wouldn't surprise me if it is something like that.

She should do an unannounced appearance like in the "Undercover Boss" TV show during a busy time, mid summer with 500 kids on board.

500 kids, not a big deal. It is the 1000 kids over a holiday is when I potentially have problems (though not always).

She was on our ship for 11 days over Christmas and from what I saw she stood in line for coffee like everyone else and she kept a low profile. I spotted her walking around several times. She even watched the Gingerbread House making competition and spoke with my niece and I as we were decorating ours. She didn’t seem to want any extra attention and not many cruisers seemed to recognize her. I do think it would be difficult for her to go incognito, since she is the face of the company. That said, there are many others in executive positions that could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

500 kids, not a big deal. It is the 1000 kids over a holiday is when I potentially have problems (though not always).

We've never approached the 500 make, no less 1,000. :eek:

I can't begin to imagine that number.

She was on our ship for 11 days over Christmas and from what I saw she stood in line for coffee like everyone else and she kept a low profile. I spotted her walking around several times. She even watched the Gingerbread House making competition and spoke with my niece and I as we were decorating ours. She didn’t seem to want any extra attention and not many cruisers seemed to recognize her. I do think it would be difficult for her to go incognito, since she is the face of the company. That said, there are many others in executive positions that could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Travelling with out a disguise of some sort really defeats the purpose of checking out the ship. Every dept & crew member is on the outlook for her 24/7.

So what's the real purpose? Surely not to get a true feeling for the cleanliness & performance of the crew since they all know when she's there.

Other than publicity it serves no real purpose as I see it.

Just got email from Grand Princess. Jan Swartz was onboard this past Monday, when Grand was in Juneau. She did a Question & Answers session with ship's staff and some photos. Maybe she is doing her yearly ships visits (inspections).