Carnival Splendor 08/18-25 Mini(ish) Review

pblack

Greetings fellow cruisers!

I haven't seen many recent reviews of the Splendor so I thought it'd throw my 2 cents in about our recent cruise. DH and I just got back a from a week aboard the Carnival Splendor. We departed out of Long Beach on 08/18. This was my 4th cruise and my DH's 5th cruise and it was also the first time we've seen the remodel of the dome. We flew into SNA (Santa Ana/John Wayne) via Southwest and arrived at 9:30 AM. We rented a car, ran a couple of errands, and then dropped off our rental at LGB (Long Beach). From LGB we requested an Uber and were on our way for our 12:30 check-in time. We arrived to the port at about 12:20. We had the option of getting in the "early/late" line or waiting the 10 minutes until our check-in time, which is what we opted to do. When 12:30 hit we hopped in line and were literally through check-in and on the ship in 10 minutes. (I had already did the online check-in and had filled out everything online.) Now whenever i've read other reviews saying that they were on board in 10ish minutes time, I didn't actually believe them. Now I do.

We had an inside spa room on deck 10 forward. While the room itself was fine, I don't think we'll do a spa room again. We utilized the spa a few times during the week and while we really enjoyed the thalassotherapy pool, we just didn't use it enough to justify the extra cost. We didn't meet our room steward until Saturday evening sometime, and when we did it was a really brief meeting in the hallway. He did offer morning, afternoon, or twice daily service. We opted for morning since we really don't need twice daily service and we didn't ask for anything extra. He kept the room clean and towels exchanged, but he wasn't the friendly of steward's we had. I can honestly say we never had an actual conversation with him the entire week. He did give us a $50 spa credit card for our anniversary, but we never ended up using it. I can also say I don't think we will book a room that far forward again. We could really feel the ship moving and it was causing my DH to not feel so great.

We only went to the MDR twice the entire week, both elegant nights. We chose your time dining (YTD) since it's what works best for us. The first elegant night our service was horrible. We were one of the first 25 people in the dining room and our dinner took almost 2 hours. It took awhile for the waiter to come by and take our order, it took awhile for our meals to come out and when they did it took them an extra 10 minutes to bring out the au-jus for DH's prime rib and by that time it was pretty much cold. Once we finished our entrees it took them 10-15 minutes to come by and take our dessert order. We almost left without having dessert. All in all the first MDR dinner was a big let down for us. The second elegant night was our anniversary and we showed up to dinner around 5:45 and only had to wait a few minutes. This night we had a different wait staff and our experience was completely different. We had no real complaints with this night. My DH ordered the New York Strip off the steakhouse selections menu ($20 up charge) and he wasn't overly impressed by it. There was quite a bit of gristle and it just wasn't worth the $20.

I should add that we had reservations for the steakhouse on our anniversary (the 2nd elegant night), but we ended up cancelling them. We've been to the steakhouse once before and while it was good, it just didn't suit us. The Splendor does still have the old steakhouse menu for those who are curious.

We did one seaday brunch (on our anniversary) and it was a terrible experience. It was really busy (which we expected) but when they went to take us to a table for 2, that table was already being used. So they go to take us to a different table and that table was also being used. So 3rd time is the charm and we finally get a table for 2 in the middle of walkway (not ideal, but we didn't really care at that point). The host never left us any menus so we ended up having to wait another 5 minutes to finally get menus, it took another 10 minutes or so before we every actually met our waiter and had our orders taken. The food was fine once we got it. I should also add that it wasn't just our table experiencing issues. The tables surrounding us were also having issues with waiting and food delays. One table actually got up and left because they were tired of waiting on something they had asked for (not sure exactly how long they waited).

The buffet throughout the week was fine, the pizza was delicious, and the deli was also fine. The deli started out as the old menu, but then on Wednesday they switched to the new menu. I thought it was really strange that it switched over halfway through the cruise. The night we went to the deli it was the new menu and we didn't have any complaints, but we also didn't order anything fancy or anything that we really wanted to customize. The ice cream machines all seemed to be working properly throughout the entire cruise.

We had 3 ports of call on this cruise: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Tendering in Cabo was horrible. They've changed the way they do tendering since the last time we cruise the Mexican Riviera. Now you have to go and select your time slot for when you want to get on the tender, which didn't really seem so bad, until the tender boats had problems docking against the ship because of the really choppy waters. I think if the water had been smooth, the process would have been great. But because of the delay with the tenders it was a really chaotic experience. We almost opted to not get off the boat (we didn't get off till after 1 pm and we had to be back on by 6 pm) but we're glad we did. Cabo is my favorite port, but since we got off later than we anticipated we only ended up walking over to Cabo Wabo and having some drinks and relaxing. This was our first time going to Mazatlan and we never even got off the boat, we ended up hanging out by the aft pool most of the day which was great.

In Puerto Vallarta we did the all inclusive beach resort through Carnival. It took us to the Hyatt Ziva (about a 25 min or so bus ride) where we stayed past our alotted time. If you do go over the alotted time it will cost you $10/hour extra per person, plus you'll have to pay for your transportation back to the ship. We were having a really good time and didn't mind paying to stay the extra hour. We mostly hung out by the swim up pool bar where we had way too many margaritas. We didn't really eat anything there so I can't comment much on the food. All in all it was a really nice resort with some nice pools. Would I pay to do the excursion again? Ehhh that's debateable. Next time I would probably go with a beach resort in Cabo.

Other things I want to note: the aft pool was definitely adults (18+) only. Numerous times throughout the cruise we saw staff kicking out those who were under 18. I purchased the social media wi-fi package and it pretty much sucked. The only time facebook or instagram wanted to load was when we were in port and most everyone was off the ship. Facebook messenger seemed to work just fine though which is what I really wanted it for. (Only to keep in contact with my dad who was house/cat sitting.) Usually we completely unplug when on a cruise. If I decide to purchase it again next time at least i'll know what i'm getting into. We also used the hub app a lot which was great. It was also really easy to purchase our shore excursion through the app. I purchased it on Monday and our tickets were delivered to our room on Tuesday. They didn't really enforce the dress code guidelines on elegant nights, but while I noticed it it didn't affect us at all.

I think that's pretty much it. I will try and answer any questions. I do have the fun times for the week, but I left them at home today. So i'll try and remember to upload them at some point this week. We had a great week aboard the Splendor (even with some of the not so great things I mentioned) and we can't wait to book our next cruise!

Happy cruising!

Nice review pblack..:)

We have been on Splendor before---during the swine flu cruise fiasco and before the dead in the water fiasco.

We are booked for a 14 dayer to Hawaii in Oct. It appears as if it's business as usual--no great surprises for us. :D

Honestly, I like the décor, so that doesn't bother me. We are in a suite--another plus. As long as the food is decent, we're ok. We have traditional dining, so we should be good.

Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Patti

Nice review pblack..:)

We have been on Splendor before---during the swine flu cruise fiasco and before the dead in the water fiasco.

We are booked for a 14 dayer to Hawaii in Oct. It appears as if it's business as usual--no great surprises for us. :D

Honestly, I like the décor, so that doesn't bother me. We are in a suite--another plus. As long as the food is decent, we're ok. We have traditional dining, so we should be good.

Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Patti

Thanks Patti! Have a great cruise! 14 days to Hawaii sounds amazing! This was our second time on the Splendor and I actually don't mind the decor either. I think it's fun. :) Food was definitely decent, no major complaints from us!

Thanks for the review, my Hawaii cruise in December will be my first cruise on Carnival and I enjoy reading comments about Splendor. My one question is about the Deli, was it premade or made when ordered? And do you remember the sandwich choices? Glad you had a good cruise.

Thanks for the review. I've been on the Splendor a few times. It's my least favorite ship. Too bad you didn't experience Mazatlan being it your first time there. It's a great port but I guess people are turned off because of the way the port looks when you dock.

Good, fair, concise review. We were on the Splendor in July and had a great time. Good enough that we booked it again for later this fall if that tells you anything. Main dining room service can be hit or miss. We like to eat late which helps a lot. There is typically no waiting for courses since they are hustling to get you out so they can close down. We never feel rushed but the food and drinks flow at a good pace.

Most of the times in the past we stayed on the ship as well in Mazatlán but on this last cruise we got a day pass at El Cid Moro Beach and it was the best shore day of the trip! Water was warmer than Cabo and clearer than PV and our two young teenagers had a great time in the waves all day. We now look forward to our port days in Mazatlán.

The Splendor feels a little tired and worn out on the outdoor upper decks but staterooms and main public areas inside ship do not feel that way at all.

Thanks for the review, my Hawaii cruise in December will be my first cruise on Carnival and I enjoy reading comments about Splendor. My one question is about the Deli, was it premade or made when ordered? And do you remember the sandwich choices? Glad you had a good cruise.

At the beginning of the cruise when they were doing the old style menu it was made when ordered. When they switched over to the new menu it appeared that they are pre-made, at least for most options. I ordered the BLT off the new menu and they still made it in front of me, which was good since the description doesn't list mayo being on it and I don't like condiments. It won't let me post the photo I took, but i'm sure if you google "new carnival deli menu" you'll find info on it. :)

Good, fair, concise review. We were on the Splendor in July and had a great time. Good enough that we booked it again for later this fall if that tells you anything. Main dining room service can be hit or miss. We like to eat late which helps a lot. There is typically no waiting for courses since they are hustling to get you out so they can close down. We never feel rushed but the food and drinks flow at a good pace.

Most of the times in the past we stayed on the ship as well in Mazatlán but on this last cruise we got a day pass at El Cid Moro Beach and it was the best shore day of the trip! Water was warmer than Cabo and clearer than PV and our two young teenagers had a great time in the waves all day. We now look forward to our port days in Mazatlán.

The Splendor feels a little tired and worn out on the outdoor upper decks but staterooms and main public areas inside ship do not feel that way at all.

If we ever go back to Mazatlan, we'll keep that in mind! We really wanted one port day where we stayed on the ship and since we had things we wanted to do in Cabo and PV, Mazatlan won that round. After the MDR experience the first day we took a bit more time before we headed down to eat the second time, which I think definitely helped with service. I will keep in mind going later though to try and help speed up the process. Thanks for the tips!

pblack,

I will be on the Splendor in November and have a 12-12:30 arrival time. This was the earliest I could choose. I really am not looking forward to hanging out at the hotel that morning just waiting until then to head to the port. I am staying at the Residence Inn very close to the port so should only take minutes to get there via cab or uber. Any idea what I will encounter if I head on over to the port say 10:30ish?

pblack,

I will be on the Splendor in November and have a 12-12:30 arrival time. This was the earliest I could choose. I really am not looking forward to hanging out at the hotel that morning just waiting until then to head to the port. I am staying at the Residence Inn very close to the port so should only take minutes to get there via cab or uber. Any idea what I will encounter if I head on over to the port say 10:30ish?

Unfortunately, i'm not sure. Before the dome remodel I know that they used to have everyone waiting outside when they arrived early. I don't know if this is still the case or not, or if your able to check-in and then wait inside the dome. Hopefully someone whose arrived around that time before can chime in with their experience.

At the beginning of the cruise when they were doing the old style menu it was made when ordered. When they switched over to the new menu it appeared that they are pre-made, at least for most options. I ordered the BLT off the new menu and they still made it in front of me, which was good since the description doesn't list mayo being on it and I don't like condiments. It won't let me post the photo I took, but i'm sure if you google "new carnival deli menu" you'll find info on it. :)

Thank you for the information, I think I would have preferred the old menu, but I'm not familiar with it, so don't know for sure. I know there are some sandwiches that can't be premade, I hope.

Thank you for the information, I think I would have preferred the old menu, but I'm not familiar with it, so don't know for sure. I know there are some sandwiches that can't be premade, I hope.

Sis is on the Splendor now and said the sandwiches are made to order. She didn't notice any premade sandwiches.

Thanks for the review. I've been on the Splendor a few times. It's my least favorite ship. Too bad you didn't experience Mazatlan being it your first time there. It's a great port but I guess people are turned off because of the way the port looks when you dock.

Why is it your least favorite ship?

We are thinking of doing El Cid Moro Beach in Mazatlan. Where/how did you get tickets? How did you get there and how long did it take from the ship? Do you just walk in and grab a table/lounge chairs/umbrellas or do you have to stop at the front desk or some kind of check in? How was the food service? Do they have any shady areas? Two of us stay out of the sun at all cost! Thank you for any/all info you can provide on El Cid.