Dinner and Balls times?

failteromhat

Hi, We are taking a taster short cruise on the QM2 later this year, and I was wondering what the more popular sitting is for dinner in the regular restaurant (not Club or Grills) - the earlier (6pm) or the later sitting (8.30)?

Is it possible to change between the 2 times once on-board i.e. eat at 6pm one evening and 8.30 pm another?

(I expect if so, it would be easier to switch to the less busy time!)

Also, what time do the balls generally start? I would like to go to that, but don't want to miss it having a late dinner (am leaning towards the later sitting at the moment)

Hi, We are taking a taster short cruise on the QM2 later this year, and I was wondering what the more popular sitting is for dinner in the regular restaurant (not Club or Grills) - the earlier (6pm) or the later sitting (8.30)?

Is it possible to change between the 2 times once on-board i.e. eat at 6pm one evening and 8.30 pm another?

(I expect if so, it would be easier to switch to the less busy time!)

Also, what time do the balls generally start? I would like to go to that, but don't want to miss it having a late dinner (am leaning towards the later sitting at the moment)

In the Welcome sticky at the top of this board there are some Daily Programmes, the balls usually start at 9.45.

You can't change dinner seating each night, it's often thought that early is most popular but that can depend on itinerary.

Hi, failteromhat.

It might be worth my asking which "taster short cruise" you were considering on QM2 later this year. Not all such short cruises have any formal (gala) nights on the schedule. For example, the four night cruise to Hamburg and back (14-18 Oct 2018) is like that. I wouldn't want you to be dissapointed to find out your cruise doesn't actually have any gala nights or balls scheduled.

Hi, failteromhat.

It might be worth my asking which "taster short cruise" you were considering on QM2 later this year. Not all such short cruises have any formal (gala) nights on the schedule. For example, the four night cruise to Hamburg and back (14-18 Oct 2018) is like that. I wouldn't want you to be dissapointed to find out your cruise doesn't actually have any gala nights or balls scheduled.

I agree with bluemarble. We were on the 4th of July sailing two years ago for 5 nights and they just fit in the Black & White Ball to experience. A shorter cruise like yours may have a Gala if you see it specifically stated as part of your cruise. You can even call Cunard ask them. There is nothing wrong with dressing up (Formal) for that evening to feel the experience too!

Bon Voyage and Smooth Sailing....

There was a Ball on the on our three day cruise on QE a couple of years back. If you go to the later dinner sitting you will not make the start of the Ball. If you want a seat I would get to the Ball before the advertised start. We went to the buffet the night of the Ball. I hope that helps.

Best wishes, Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Digging a little deeper, I'm only seeing two QM2 cruises for the remainder of this year that qualify as short taster cruises. One is the four night 14-18 October 2018 "Hamburg Short Break" I mentioned previously (or its two individual segments). The other is the three night 1-4 November 2018 "Bruges Short Break". That latter cruise does have one gala evening scheduled with a "Black & White Ball". And that cruise does still have availability in both first and second sittings.

If I were on a short cruise like the "Bruges Short Break" with only one gala night, and attending the ball were a top priority (as it appears to be for the OP), then I would pick the first sitting. Attending a gala evening in the Britannia Dining Room is an occasion in itself. I would hate to try to rush through dinner at second sitting and I think choosing an alternative dining venue for that one and only gala evening would mean missing out on something a bit special in the MDR.

I would go for early seating if you want dinner in the main dining room and to attend the Ball. With a Late Saver fare I think you cannot specify. I am not sure but can you change it on the first day just after boarding (subject to availability of course). With it being cold and dark in early November the you might be happy to enjoy a shorter afternoon and longer evening.

Personally after many cruises on Cunard and other lines I feel I have done main dining rooms and often prefer speciality or casual dining. I use to really enjoy the main dining room but less so now. Just me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums