Complete failure of a stop in Juneau - Bliss 8/28

I'm sorry - I do understand how frustrating this must be, especially with kids.

If you will stop in Skagway, I'd contact Temsco Skagway at (907) 983-2900

or Toll Free:

1 (866) 683-2900 or this booking form http://temscoair.com/booking-form/ to see if you can reschedule.

I booked my Alaska cruise last minute - 6 weeks out - and called the Juneau office for Temsco (that's the subcontractor that handles the flights for cruise ship excursions when I did this tour 8 years ago and probably still is the subcontractor) prior to booking the cruise since I knew that would be our favorite excursion and wanted to make sure it wasn't sold out prior to my booking the cruise. When I explained why I was calling, the very kind operator hinted that I might want to go whale watching in Juneau and book the helicopter experience with the Temsco office in Skagway. I figured if they were steering me away from their location there had to be a reason, and booked the Skagway excursion. While I was on the mountain, our guide explained that the weather tended to be more stable in Skagway and therefore those helicopter tours tend to be less likely to be cancelled. Also, she recommended booking early in the morning, since they try to reschedule you later if there's a break in the weather (note: we traveled in late May/early June so this may not be an option at all during the height of the tour season, when they may be completely booked and I don't know if this is something they do just with independent travelers like me or if they also try to reschedule cruise tour passengers. Plus I was pregnant with my first, so at the time it was only 2 of us. I'd imagine it would be a lot harder to keep a larger group/family together if you are rescheduling). I sailed the Coral Princess, but we had a fairly easy walk to Temsco Skagway from where we docked - it was 8 years ago, so I don't know if it would be walkable with kids.

So sorry about all that - I didn't know it until the day of my helicopter, so I just wanted to post it in case it can help others.

I understand weather is not controllable. But our helicopter excursion landing on a glacier was canceled this morning about 20 minutes before we were to leave. Luckily, we booked the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm today as well. When we went for our meeting time to board the boat, crew said they canceled that too. This one was mechanical. All in all, a complete waste of a stop in Juneau. The weather I get. Mechanical issues that you find out about at the time of check in is not ok.

As most of you know, there are only 3 Alaska ports on this sailing. Today was a complete waste. This was the port that my family and I most looked forward to.

It sure what else we could have done. No advance warning for either. Left us completely without plans.

so you are disappointed, get over it. What makes you think they knew in advance about the mechanical problems or could do anything about them? Remember the ship has no control over the tour companies except to contract with them. Would you have rather done the tour and had it break down along the way/? Sorry to be so blunt, but am just surprised at your reaction. We once did a transatlantic with New F. being the port we all wanted to see because we had our hearts set on visiting the Puffins. Well, guess what, it was cancelled and yes, everyone was disappointed, but I don't remember anyone getting all worked up over it.. As for your experience there is a lot to do in Juneau without a planned tour.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I understand weather is not controllable.

But our helicopter excursion landing on a glacier was canceled this morning about 20 minutes before we were to leave. Luckily, we booked the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm today as well. When we went for our meeting time to board the boat, crew said they canceled that too. This one was mechanical. All in all, a complete waste of a stop in Juneau. The weather I get. Mechanical issues that you find out about at the time of check in is not ok.

As most of you know, there are only 3 Alaska ports on this sailing. Today was a complete waste. This was the port that my family and I most looked forward to.

It sure what else we could have done.

No advance warning for either. Left us completely without plans.

You could have booked the Pride of America: ;p

"Hurricane Lane which is near Hawaii in the Pacific has forced the Pride of America cruise ship

to change the itinerary and cancel at least one port of call.

The Norwegian Cruise Line operated ship is keeping away from the approaching category 4 Hurricane."

We rented a car in Juneau and did a bunch of things. We had excursmfor 5 for $60 plus gas. It was a great day.

We did this too. We drove to the Mendenhall glacier and then drove over to Douglas Island

and had pizza at the Island Pub. We try to have a list of alternate plans for each port in case

our original ones fall through also.

While it is a shame about the cancellations, I agree with most. Weather changes and mechanical things break. Often, they happen at inopportune times. You can't control it. They can't control it.

Don't let that spoil a great cruise.

Thanks all. We made due in port that day. Just a bad series of unlucky events. Didn’t want to bus to the glacier since we were booked on the small boat glacier tour. Back on the Bliss, our boat didn’t make it up to the glacier either. The crew said this was the only time all season that all three events were canceled. Just bad luck. We did walk around town. Bought some souvenirs. Weather is fantastic in Skagway today. That’s good. Just some sad little ones that we were 0 for 3 on planned glacier sightings.