Router/Wifi extender

Keep trying to make excuses. So instead of one shot out of the Vodka bottle your getting two.

It’s still revenue you are taking away from Royal.

No, that is not a reasonable analogy.

It would be more like the Diamond drinks. You get 3 during the lounge hours. If you share those with a friend, RCI is only providing 3 drinks, each person only gets to drink 1.5 drinks.

Actually no if you insist on using that analogy I am still getting one shot of vodka but split between 2 glasses. The volume is the same and the amount I am getting

Exactly.

Now to expand that, say you were limited to one drink per hour.

So if you shared your one drink, RCI would still only pour a max if 24 drinks per day, but if you shared with 6 people, each would get only 4 drinks per day.

I have tried with vain to find a rule that prohibits me doing what I propose and therefore I do not consider it stealing. The package is for one device to connect to the internet which is exactly what will be happening , it says nothing about having other devices connected through that one device.

on your other point I do not drink alcohol and a phone call to RCI was all that was needed to order my wife a drinks package and not me.

I imagine the wanted posters dotted around the ship ... WANTED - PEEWEE14 FOR STEALING INTERNET !

It’s not exactly what is happening.

You are connecting multiple

devices to the internet.

It would be like going to the buffet and only paying for one plate but then sharing that plate between multiple people.

Sure you are only using a single

Plate but the amount of food(or data in this case) is the same as if you had multiple plates.

No I am not. The bandwidth is still the same bandwidth that one device gets I am getting no more internet than anyone else. The bandwidth and usage for one device will then be split between whatever I connect to the router. I have no need to justify anything unlike sharing drinks packages I am not breaking any rules. The amount of internet I use will be exactly the same.

I am surprised RCI doesn’t employ some of you lot as enforcers as you seem to have nothing else better to do [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is flat out wrong.

More devices = More demand on the network and increased overhead.

In fact having it go through a travel router and then to the ship router will likely have more overhead then just having the devices connect to the ships router as not only will You have dropped packets between the travel router and its devices but also between the travlel route and the ships router.

You are not allocated speed on an individual device basis. You are probably sharing that speed with 100 other users also on that router.

There could be 2,500 devices connected in the satellite pipe at any one time. It's a single satellite data pipe that everyone on the ship shares and the overall speed is restricted by the satellite provider. The more data you use the slower all of our connections will be.

So yes, you adding more devices to your connection does impact everyone on the ship. It's called theft of service.

devices to the internet.

It would be like going to the buffet and only paying for one plate but then sharing that plate between multiple people.

Plate but the amount of food(or data in this case) is the same as if you had multiple plates.

A better analogy would be water service at a house for which you only pay by the pressure (download speed) in the pipe. You are not charged based on the amount of water coming out nor what you do with the water once it comes out of the pipe. You can let the water spill on the floor (watch videos on one device endlessly), you can switch out different buckets under the end of the pipe (switch between devices on a one device plan), or you can install a diverter at the end of the pipe (router/repeater) so different buckets are filled at the same time. The amount of water coming out of the pipe is fixed based on the pressure (and size of pipe) - you can't get any more water out of it no matter what you do at the end of the pipe nor does the water company care (within reason) what you do with the water.

A better analogy would be water service at a house for which you only pay by the pressure (download speed) in the pipe. You are not charged based on the amount of water coming out nor what you do with the water once it comes out of the pipe. You can let the water spill on the floor (watch videos on one device endlessly), you can switch out different buckets under the end of the pipe (switch between devices on a one device plan), or you can install a diverter at the end of the pipe (router/repeater) so different buckets are filled at the same time. The amount of water coming out of the pipe is fixed based on the pressure (and size of pipe) - you can't get any more water out of it no matter what you do at the end of the pipe nor does the water company care (within reason) what you do with the water.

Except 2,500+ passengers are using that same pipe not one house. You are not allocated individual bandwidth. All 'water' is shared. The more water you use the slower my bucket will fill up.

Which is what happens in the afternoon. Everyone's water flow is slowed to a trickle. At 2 AM the speed is great.

devices to the internet.

that’s the point you seem to be missing I am not using more data and it’s nothing like sharing the food. ONE device will be connected and the bandwidth allowed will be for ONE device this will then be shared so any other devices connected will get a percentage of that. The total used will be exactly the same. If you have to use a dumb comparison the more accurate one would be getting ONE plate of food and splitting that between people

Since this comes up every time the question is asked:

To look at it in a more factual and less moral way... It's probably not allowed. Like many rules, RC might not care to enforce it at this time. However if they do, you'll have to deal with it.

And from the technical side... (I didn't know Bob was a techie!).... You can't hide. If you are going through their pipe they will know what you are doing. If you are very technical you might be able to hide some of what you are doing, but there are many ways of being detected.

Of course, make sure you try whatever you are going to do at home first. That way you know it is supposed to work and if doesn't work onboard then you are most likely being blocked.

Most important, come back and let us know what you did and if it worked.

that’s the point you seem to be missing I am not using more data and it’s nothing like sharing the food. ONE device will be connected and the bandwidth allowed will be for ONE device this will then be shared so any other devices connected will get a percentage of that. The total used will be exactly the same. If you have to use a dumb comparison the more accurate one would be getting ONE plate of food and splitting that between people

Getting one plate of food, that only one person paid for, and splitting that between people who DIDN'T pay for the food.

You aren't paying for bandwith. You are paying for the right to connect a finite number of devices to the internet at once. With Royal's plan you can connect more than your paid for number of devices, but not at once. Not concurrently. You can share the password all you want, but only one can be logged in at a time.

What you want to do is allow more than the number of devices to connect to the internet at the same time, without each paying for that right.

That's where what you propose to do is wrong. You are allowing multiple devices to access the internet without paying for that right.

I'm not going to get into the technical mumbo-jumbo of connections, sockets, packets, etc. You should pay for the number of concurrent devices you wish to access the internet.

Justify it however you wish. Don't know if you'll get caught. Don't know if there is a specific rule against it. Not sure there can be rules written for everything.

Since this comes up every time the question is asked:

To look at it in a more factual and less moral way... It's probably not allowed. Like many rules, RC might not care to enforce it at this time. However if they do, you'll have to deal with it.

And from the technical side... (I didn't know Bob was a techie!).... You can't hide. If you are going through their pipe they will know what you are doing. If you are very technical you might be able to hide some of what you are doing, but there are many ways of being detected.

Of course, make sure you try whatever you are going to do at home first. That way you know it is supposed to work and if doesn't work onboard then you are most likely being blocked.

Most important, come back and let us know what you did and if it worked.

Thanks I have the system in use for hotels and campsites with a log in. It’s handy for devices that you can’t log in on from a web page like kindle fire stick etc. Also makes it easier with the log in and log out stuff especially with 2 young kids

I will go prepared with the assumption it doesn’t work but report back with the conclusion. It seems looking at the other thread which was kindly posted that people have got it to work before.

I just need to figure out how to smuggle booze on board. Use one drinks package for all 4 of us. Sneak into the diamond lounge for free drinks and book just one of us in for dinner at chops with the hope of sneaking food out for the rest of the family. Might even see if I can sneak us on to an excursion

I just hope our 2 year old is ok embarking the ship in a suitcase as it saves us paying his fare

As you insist on using food and drink comparisons the closest one is me buying a pint of beer from the bar and then making 2 half pints from that and handing one to a friend.

Unless the bar had a cover charge and a three drink minimum and you sneak them in the back door, its still wrong.

In the ISP world and on the ship, that's exactly what you are paying for (Surf or Stream are two tiers of BW) - data is unlimited.

Please show me that when I buy an internet connection from Royal, they are charging me for Bandwidth. They aren't. They are charging me for the right to a finitie number of concurrent connections. Thats it. No offer of the amount of bandwith I get. I get a certain number of connections. Period. Might get a lot of bandwidth, might get a little. All I know I'm getting is a connection.

It's probably not allowed.

Nowhere in the VOOM info, on the VOOM sign up page or cruise contract is there any language prohibiting sharing a one device plan. Their lawyers are very good at putting language all over the place when they want to prohibit something.

Please show me that when I buy an internet connection from Royal, they are charging me for Bandwidth.

It is implied in the description of Surf and Stream tiers - just like the description of your ISP service at home. The only diff is that the ISP puts a number to it, like 50 Mbps down. RCI doesn't explicitly put a number to it but we know from reporting that it's up to .5Mbps for Surf and 5 Mbps for Stream (perhaps a bit more on a couple of ships). Yes, you are limited to one pipe of data (BW) - but there's no limit on the amount of data coming out of the pipe or what you do with the data once it's out of the pipe.

Nowhere in the VOOM info, on the VOOM sign up page or cruise contract is there any language prohibiting sharing a one device plan. Their lawyers are very good at putting language all over the place when they want to prohibit something.

I came to the same result. Despite searching I can’t find anything to say it isn’t allowed. If it isn’t allowed I am pretty sure they will have put a system in place to stop it as I can’t be the only one planning to do this and if that’s the case I will not be able to do it :)

It doesn't matter if I have 1 bucket or 50 buckets at the end of my pipe - you are not going to get any more water out of one pipe, I can't use more water.

Your point is not true.

My point, you don't have a fixed individual pipe. If you did have an individual pipe then your data speed would be constant all day long, it's not. More devices attached to the shared pipe = less speed for each device. The ship has a fixed pressure connection, with limited capacity. So it does matter.

The top speed is determined by the wireless router which may be used by 100+ devices. The more devices on that router the slower you data will be delivered to you. It doesn't matter if those devices are located behind a personal router.

A pipe is a bad analogy anyway. The amount of water you get is determined by pressure, not the size. A four wire telephone circuit can operate from 100bps to T1. The size is the same. Cable TV; the size of the cable is the same but they sell you different speeds.

It's theft of service.

My point, you don't have a fixed individual pipe.

Yes, you do and it doesn't matter what you do to your pipe. Again, you can have one device streaming videos all day long or have 5 devices sharing that same single pipe, the amount of data coming out of the pipe will not be any more than the single device uses. The change in performance you may see is not due to others sharing their individual pipes, it's due many more pipes being used.

No I am not. The bandwidth is still the same bandwidth that one device gets I am getting no more internet than anyone else. The bandwidth and usage for one device will then be split between whatever I connect to the router. I have no need to justify anything unlike sharing drinks packages I am not breaking any rules. The amount of internet I use will be exactly the same.

I am surprised RCI doesn’t employ some of you lot as enforcers as you seem to have nothing else better to do [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

here is your rule

Yes, you may use as many devices as you like, but whichever plan you purchase will limit you to the number of devices that may be connected at the same time.

so you can have your router connected and that's it... if you connect a device to the router you will have more than 1 device connected at the same time.

Following the rules you can ONLY have the router connected if you choose to pay for 1 device.