Filing Travel Insurance & Medicare

Richst48

Hank or anyone else who might know..I have Medicare and a Bluecross supplement insurance. I bought Geoblue Voyagers Choice for my cruise. Who would I file with if I have any medical costs outside the U.S. during a cruise. Would Geoblue be my primary insurance in this case? I turned 65 last year and went on a cruise with just Medicare. I had no clue this was the situation on a cruise.TIA[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, we can answer that since we recently had to file our own GeoBlue claim. And we also have a Medicare Advantage PPO plan (Aetna). GeoBlue is primary for claims from outside the USA. When I called Geoblue to ask if we had to file with Aetna/Medicare first....they told us to simply file with GeoBlue which is what we did. They paid our claim within two weeks. Our claim included charges from both the Golden Princess and a major hospital in Osaka...all of which were reimbursed.

Hank

Yes, we can answer that since we recently had to file our own GeoBlue claim. And we also have a Medicare Advantage PPO plan (Aetna). GeoBlue is primary for claims from outside the USA. When I called Geoblue to ask if we had to file with Aetna/Medicare first....they told us to simply file with GeoBlue which is what we did. They paid our claim within two weeks. Our claim included charges from both the Golden Princess and a major hospital in Osaka...all of which were reimbursed.

Hank

That is good to know!!! Hope you won't need it again.

Hank

We're going to be so new (as of next February 2019) at this whole Medicare advantage thing. Can I ask why you decided to use Aetna ?

We're just getting inundated with options of which company to use...please offer some advice if you don't mind.

We're going to be so new (as of next February 2019) at this whole Medicare advantage thing. Can I ask why you decided to use Aetna ?

We're just getting inundated with options of which company to use...please offer some advice if you don't mind.

The decision was pretty simple. My previous employer pays the premiums and we only had two choices between Aetna PPO and Geisinger HMO. The Geisinger policy is not very good for folks who do a lot of traveling outside this part of the country so it was a no-brainer. If one is paying their own premiums that the choices are more complex.

Hank

The decision was pretty simple. My previous employer pays the premiums and we only had two choices between Aetna PPO and Geisinger HMO. The Geisinger policy is not very good for folks who do a lot of traveling outside this part of the country so it was a no-brainer. If one is paying their own premiums that the choices are more complex.

Hank

Thanks so much Hank for your response....."complex" is an understatement.....Just overwhelmed at this major decision we're going to have to make soon. The more research I do the more confused I get.

Any decision you make on a Medicare supplement isn't final. If what you choose initially doesn't meet your needs, you can always change. Does your employer offer any policies for retirees?

I turned 65 last year, and my phone, email, and mailbox have been bombarded by Medicare policies. I haven't signed up yet for Medicare because I'm still working and have med insurance thru my employer.

Roz

Any decision you make on a Medicare supplement isn't final. If what you choose initially doesn't meet your needs, you can always change. Does your employer offer any policies for retirees?

I turned 65 last year, and my phone, email, and mailbox have been bombarded by Medicare policies. I haven't signed up yet for Medicare because I'm still working and have med insurance thru my employer.

Roz

Yes...I know I can make changes...but I'm just trying to figure it all out and be happy with my choice to start out with....so I don't have to make any changes unless necessary in the future.

No..my DH's employer (a huge tech supplier that everyone has a piece of in their pocket ;)) offers nothing once he retires...which he's long past that age to do so.

We've always had "great" insurance and now this is all so confusing on what to do...I wish the choices were simpler. :eek:

There are services available that can help you make this decision. They look at your health history, meds, income, and location and make recommendations.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

Thanks...I'll look into that...I did speak to someone but I felt they possibly had an incentive to sign us up for what they recommended :confused:

There are services available that can help you make this decision. They look at your health history, meds, income, and location and make recommendations.

Roz

One must be very very cautious with so-called services. In fact, when I retired there were opportunities for me to join that kind of business or do consulting, but I just wanted to be retired :). Many of the "services" are about selling certain plans that give them the biggest commissions and may not be in your best interest.

So I will offer a little hint on where to start. If you have your own physicians (i.e. family doctor) you should ask what plans they accept, prefer, and why. If you are a traveler you need to be careful when looking at HMO's and even PPOs at how they work if you need care in a different part of the country. Some PPO's (such as Aetna) have network providers all over the country. Other plans are more regional (such as Geisinger). But as somebody posted, you do have the opportunity to change plans once a year (during open enrollment) so if you do not like the plan you choose you can change it within a year. You also need to compare the pros and cons of basic Medigap Insurance...versus Medicare HMOs and PPOs. As you already know, many of these companies are very aggressive in their marketing.

Also be advised that are a few Medicare Gap Plans that will give you some coverage outside of the USA. But even these plans are limited to $50,000 lifetime (outside the USA) so may not always be the best deal...depending on the cost of the plan.

For frequent international travelers you will also want to take a good look at Annual Travel Medical Policies which cover you for an entire year. For example, the Annual Geoblue policy we have will cover the first 70 days of Every International trip you take for the entire policy year. For frequent travelers this is often a very good deal. If you do not purchase an Annual travel or trip policy you should give very strong consideration to buying a decent travel policy for each and every trip that leaves the USA.

Hank

One must be very very cautious with so-called services. In fact, when I retired there were opportunities for me to join that kind of business or do consulting, but I just wanted to be retired :). Many of the "services" are about selling certain plans that give them the biggest commissions and may not be in your best interest.

So I will offer a little hint on where to start. If you have your own physicians (i.e. family doctor) you should ask what plans they accept, prefer, and why. If you are a traveler you need to be careful when looking at HMO's and even PPOs at how they work if you need care in a different part of the country. Some PPO's (such as Aetna) have network providers all over the country. Other plans are more regional (such as Geisinger). But as somebody posted, you do have the opportunity to change plans once a year (during open enrollment) so if you do not like the plan you choose you can change it within a year. You also need to compare the pros and cons of basic Medigap Insurance...versus Medicare HMOs and PPOs. As you already know, many of these companies are very aggressive in their marketing.

Also be advised that are a few Medicare Gap Plans that will give you some coverage outside of the USA. But even these plans are limited to $50,000 lifetime (outside the USA) so may not always be the best deal...depending on the cost of the plan.

For frequent international travelers you will also want to take a good look at Annual Travel Medical Policies which cover you for an entire year. For example, the Annual Geoblue policy we have will cover the first 70 days of Every International trip you take for the entire policy year. For frequent travelers this is often a very good deal. If you do not purchase an Annual travel or trip policy you should give very strong consideration to buying a decent travel policy for each and every trip that leaves the USA.

Hank

Once again...such helpful information Hank.

Much appreciated.

The service I was referring to is offered through our Area Agency on Agency. Since it's taxpayer funded, I hope they're not taking kickbacks! For Part D, you can go online and put in your meds and it will give you plans that provide the best coverage for your situation.

Roz

Hank, I have a question since you have experienced this already. Since you had Geoblue and used the cruise ship's doctor, did they accept Geoblue or did they charge it to your credit card first. I have Geoblue and I'm also a retired teacher on a bit of a budget...lol. Anyway I wouldn't want them to bust up my credit card for a thousand or more during my cruise. TIA and thanks for all the information you provide. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cruising and insurance!![emoji4]

Hank' date=' I have a question since you have experienced this already. Since you had Geoblue and used the cruise ship's doctor, did they accept Geoblue or did they charge it to your credit card first. I have Geoblue and I'm also a retired teacher on a bit of a budget...lol. Anyway I wouldn't want them to bust up my credit card for a thousand or more during my cruise. TIA and thanks for all the information you provide. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cruising and insurance!![emoji4']

Our health issue happened on the Golden Princess...so what I say only applies to that cruise line. Princess simply charged all the onboard medical (and we are talking over $1000) to our our onboard account. They would not deal directly with the insurer.

I should expand on this and explain that it is very rare for any foreign hospital to accept US Insurance...although GeoBlue is one of the exceptions if you use one of their enrolled providers. In our case all of our bills in Osaka had to paid before we could leave the hospital which is pretty standard procedure around the world. For those that do not have credit cards with higher credit limits...I have no clue how they would deal with big medical bills. I suppose they could call their credit card company and require an immediate increase in their credit limit...but no guarantee that this would be granted.

Hank

Our health issue happened on the Golden Princess...so what I say only applies to that cruise line. Princess simply charged all the onboard medical (and we are talking over $1000) to our our onboard account. They would not deal directly with the insurer.

I should expand on this and explain that it is very rare for any foreign hospital to accept US Insurance...although GeoBlue is one of the exceptions if you use one of their enrolled providers. In our case all of our bills in Osaka had to paid before we could leave the hospital which is pretty standard procedure around the world. For those that do not have credit cards with higher credit limits...I have no clue how they would deal with big medical bills. I suppose they could call their credit card company and require an immediate increase in their credit limit...but no guarantee that this would be granted.

Hank

Thanks for the information. I'll be taking 2 credit cards to be on the safe side!![emoji6]

We have Medicare/united health care. I bought a travel insurance policy in 2016 for travel from October 29, 2016 to November 4, 2016 from Seven Corners through InsureMyTrip or squaremouth one. I don’t remember which. My husband had several claims in 2018 in February. Got a letter from Mercy Health in March that Medicare has denied the claims that we had another primary insurance??? I didn’t recognize the name because this was the only time we ever bought from Seven Corners. YES this was two years later that problems began.

Had to make numerous calls to Seven Corners and my insurance company. This caused so many problems. Lots of denied claims. Finally got everyone to understand and SC wrote a letter stating that it was travel insurance and things got on track to being paid. What a mess. How did SC get my other insurance information to be able to mess this up??? I will never buy from them again.

I haven’t had any other problems with trip insurance and have bought many policies since cruising.

Hank

Although, I was surprised in Sicily last May. I had some intestinal issues, and was getting dehydrated. So went to the local emergency room. They gave me an IV to stop the issues, and then IV fluids and antibiotics to get me better.

They asked for my insurance card, Blue Cross Federal plan, and that was it.

Now, I may get a bill eventually, but so far, they dealt with the insurance and everything is fine.

Although, I was surprised in Sicily last May. I had some intestinal issues, and was getting dehydrated. So went to the local emergency room. They gave me an IV to stop the issues, and then IV fluids and antibiotics to get me better.

They asked for my insurance card, Blue Cross Federal plan, and that was it.

Now, I may get a bill eventually, but so far, they dealt with the insurance and everything is fine.

The Blues do seem to have a worldwide reach...although its hit or miss on whether the hospitals will ultimately accept assignment (where the insurer deals directly with the hospital). A few years ago we visited an ER in San Sebastian, Spain. They also accepted our insurance card. It was nearly a year later that we actually got a bill from the ER....so you never know.

Hank