Land of the Midnight Sun Spectacular!

RestonCruiser

Just returned from this cruise yesterday. I must say the scenery was spectacular. Norway is a beautiful country. We had really good weather except for one port day and even then not too bad. The Sapphire is in great shape after the spring dry dock. Food and service were really good as well. No sighting of the Northern Lights but the chances in August are not good anyway. The only negative we found was random odors as we walked around the ship. Passengers were mostly American, British, Canadian, and Aussie. We had a great time and would highly recommend this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at that cruise for 2019 or 2020. Next year's is booking up really fast! Any advice about when to book in order to get the cabin we want? Is there a good opportunity after final payment date or not? It is pricey but it's the best Norway itinerary we've found.

We've been on the the Emerald, Ruby, and Caribbean, so I know we'd love the Sapphire.

I was just looking at that cruise for 2019 or 2020. Next year's is booking up really fast! Any advice about when to book in order to get the cabin we want? Is there a good opportunity after final payment date or not? It is pricey but it's the best Norway itinerary we've found.

We've been on the the Emerald, Ruby, and Caribbean, so I know we'd love the Sapphire.

I did a similar trip in June (with out Flam). It is a great cruise - just words of warning, if you book it, expect sticker shock on tours! Norway overall is a very expensive country. I spent more than $200 pp many days on tours in Norway. The tours are definitely worth it though. It is just an expensive country.

I was just looking at that cruise for 2019 or 2020. Next year's is booking up really fast! Any advice about when to book in order to get the cabin we want? Is there a good opportunity after final payment date or not?

To get the cabin you want, book as soon as possible, but be sure the deposit is refundable. You can watch for sales/promotions up until final payment time and switch to a new sale.promotion if you find one you like better.

For a popular cruise, pricing after final payment may be higher than it was at various times before final payment...and the cabin you want is likely to be unavailable by then.

For a popular cruise, pricing after final payment may be higher than it was at various times before final payment...and the cabin you want is likely to be unavailable by then.

Thank you, that's what I was wondering about when I saw how full the 2019 sailing is already.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, that's what I was wondering about when I saw how full the 2019 sailing is already.

We are booked on this cruise and I have watched how quickly the cabins are selling. The fares have already risen since we booked on 2nd August and our cabin is AUD 400 PP dearer than the original price.

Margaret

We will be on the Sapphire next June 2019 for the Norway cruise. We are doing a b2b with the Baltic cruise. The Baltic cruise has had sales to lower the price but not the Norway cruise and I have noticed that the cabins are going fast. I check the price regularly and the Norway cruise has gone up not down while the Baltic cruise has gone down. I have also noted and come to grips with the high cost of excursions in Norway. My cruise funds are in shock.

On a prior west bound TA we stopped at Bergen and Flaam. Particularly Flaam the scenery was exquisite which led us to book the Norway cruise. Bergen was good in that we took the funicular to the observation point up on the mountain overlooking Bergen. I then hiked on up the mountain for a short distance to a really beautiful lake.

BTW we did see the Northern Lights one night as we traveled from Flaam to Iceland. It was around 1:00 AM when we saw them. Interesting part is that we did not recognize them until someone standing on the sun deck near us pointed them out. Since we are going in June this time, I don't expect to see the Lights as well as darkness.