Cape Liberty/Anthem and Carry on Luggage

c breeze

I have not sailed out of Cape Liberty or RCCL in years, so have a question regarding carrying your luggage on to the Anthem of the Seas.

On Norwegian out of NYC, you are permitted to carry your own luggage on to the ship instead of checking it at the pier. Once on the ship, there is a central spot in a lounge that is where attendants will take your luggage, give you a receipt, so that you can pick it up when your cabin is ready. This way, you do not have to wheel your luggage around the ship until the cabin is available, but do not have to check it and worry about it getting lost.

Is something like this available on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty? Are you required to check your luggage at the pier? I do realize that most people check their luggage, and I also realize that not doing so requires you to go through security screenings with the luggage. My question is whether the ship has a location on the ship to drop your luggage and get a ticket for it until your cabin is ready.

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

You are not required to check your bags. As long as all your bags can fit through an airport type x-ray scanner, you can carry them on yourself. No bag checking service however, you would have to lug them around until staterooms open around 1pm.

I'm picturing 5000 suitcases taking up an entire dining room and the poor staff member trying to locate one suitcase.

In Alaska they actually fill (stacked 6' high) three conference rooms at the Captain Cook hotel with luggage waiting for people going on cruises that are on land tours or waiting for transfers. Three staff members doing only that, and it can take two hours for them to find your luggage if you are going to the airport.

I'm picturing 5000 suitcases taking up an entire dining room and the poor staff member trying to locate one suitcase.

That service (checking luggage on board) is usually available on Grandeur - but probably so few know about it doesn't seem to be a huge pile.