Taking daughter and her son

Have just booked Explorer for next year. Sailing will be myself and She Who Must Be Obeyed (both diamond members) daughter, her partner and her son, all of whom are first timers.

Heres where the query arises: she was single when she had the boy and he has his father's surname. Daughter subsequently married (since divorced) but uses her married surname which is different from her son's.

Our TA has sent a form to be signed for permission to be given by the father to take the boy away. Fair enough, he has signed similar forms in the past. This form however says it needs countersigning by a lawyer/ notary. Is this mandatory? Will RCCL insist or will a straightforward letter sufffice?

I think your TA has told you wrong. If the child was being taken abroad by someone other than a parent or legal guardian then the form would be needed, but since she is the parent, all she needs is a paper trail to connect her with the child, since her name is now different. https://help.royalcaribbean.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000746691-What-if-I-m-travelling-with-a-minor-and-I-m-not-the-parent-or-legal-guardian-

I think your TA has told you wrong. If the child was being taken abroad by someone other than a parent or legal guardian then the form would be needed, but since she is the parent, all she needs is a paper trail to connect her with the child, since her name is now different. https://help.royalcaribbean.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000746691-What-if-I-m-travelling-with-a-minor-and-I-m-not-the-parent-or-legal-guardian-

Wrong. The letter MUST be signed before a notary (or UK equivalent). Otherwise, there is no proof that the father actually signed it. The only instance where a “paper trail” would be helpful would be if the mother had sole legal custody and a court order stating that. Since the father signed similar letters in the past, I’m guessing that’s not the case.

Wrong. The letter MUST be signed before a notary (or UK equivalent). Otherwise, there is no proof that the father actually signed it. The only instance where a “paper trail” would be helpful would be if the mother had sole legal custody and a court order stating that. Since the father signed similar letters in the past, I’m guessing that’s not the case.

Read the form.

If it's not notarized, they have no idea who really signed it. I travel alone with my children and have been asked for the notarized form many times. It's not just to get on the ship, but I have also been asked for this by immigration when getting off the ship. Some officials are serious about stopping non-custodial kidnapping and you never know if you will be asked and denied or delayed. In addition to passports, I also bring certified birth certificates to show I am the parent, since passports don't indicate. I don't want anything to create a situation where my kids are suddenly told we're not going on the trip we've been so excited about.

Have a great cruise!

There are places (like Mexico and South Africa) where these letters are required. It is not considered a legal document if it is not notarized. It may cost about $10-20 or so for your bank to notarize the letter.

Unless she has sole custody in which case she would have court documents, she needs the letter.