Self- Assist Luggage for Embarkation

AlixPaige

Our cruise is this coming Monday. Woo! I searched to see if if this has been asked before and only found threads from 2006. Its been quite awhile since then so I figured it would be safe to ask.

We will be on Carnival Inspiration out of Long Beach. We only have 1 carry on and 1 checked bag. It really isn't a huge imposition to us to bring our checked bag on board with us when we board. Our bag has the 360 degree wheels so pushing it is a breeze. Is there a way we request to bring on our own bag?

I am well aware that is what the porters are for but we'd like to bring our own bag on board. We have FTTF so we'd get it fast anyway but having it in our room with us as soon as we arrive to our cabin would make unpacking much easier and faster.

Thanks!

Anyone can carry luggage on & off as long as they are able to handle it and it fits through their scanner. Carnival's website gives the maximum dimensions for carry-on luggage - it is larger than the airline limit. It's been posted here on the boards as well. You may be able to search for it here if you don't find it on Carnival. We always carry our medium suitcase & backpack for each of us. We like being able to unpack & get organized as soon as the cabin is ready.

I too prefer to carry my luggage myself, as long as I can access my cabin shortly after boarding. Otherwise, I'd let the porters take it, since I've heard it could take until mid-late afternoon to get access to the cabin, and I'd rather spend that time at the pool or enjoying other activities.

Our cruise is this coming Monday. Woo! I searched to see if if this has been asked before and only found threads from 2006. Its been quite awhile since then so I figured it would be safe to ask.

We will be on Carnival Inspiration out of Long Beach. We only have 1 carry on and 1 checked bag. It really isn't a huge imposition to us to bring our checked bag on board with us when we board. Our bag has the 360 degree wheels so pushing it is a breeze. Is there a way we request to bring on our own bag?

I am well aware that is what the porters are for but we'd like to bring our own bag on board. We have FTTF so we'd get it fast anyway but having it in our room with us as soon as we arrive to our cabin would make unpacking much easier and faster.

Thanks!

Just carry it in.

Thanks!

We carried all our luggage the last time and there were two issues I can remember:

-you will be asked many times about checking your bags and informed that it is a long walk. We politely said thank you, but we wanted to keep the bags with us.

-there isn't a lot of room in the waiting area after check-in before boarding. Getting through lines was fine, but for the short time we were waiting I felt we were crowding our neighbors. We will try to eliminate one bag this time since like others prefer to reduce chance of damage from checking.

Wife and I always drive to our port city, so we don't have to think about airline restrictions. We are not over-packers, but we don't make much effort to minimize. On seven-night cruises, we may take up to a large, a small, and one or two backpacks/shoulder bags.

On those trips in which we decide to carry on all our own stuff, it is a little awkward but well worth it for me. Plan ahead the best way to control your bags before you leave home (a suggestion, not a demand). Also, we have always encountered friendly, helpful, and understanding porters, but have heard horror stories from some travelers. Some porters apparently will just try to load your stuff on their carts without asking. They may come right to your vehicle to assist you. Be polite but firm, do not let them touch your luggage. A few may become insistent, but stand your ground. It is okay to just repeat "no thank you" and go about your business.

I do NOT encourage this, but oversized (and overweight) suitcases can be carried on. It will hold up the line, though, as they have to hand-inspect those bags that do not fit through the machine. At least, I have never observed them refusing any luggage, but if looks could kill (both from inspectors and fellow-travelers).

When we do check luggage, the help is well worth the tip, and we have not experienced any cabin delivery delays or damage. This includes our first two trips (I was a very naïve traveler) when we did not cough up any gratuity. I really feel for those cruisers who have not been so fortunate.

Think I should call my wife now, inspired to pack our bags for a cruise!