Folding scootera

mamaofami

I recently met a man who introduced me to ATTO travel scooter.  It actually brakes down into two parts and is therefore lighter to lift in and out of the back of the car.  The website says the parts weigh 26 lb. & 37 lbs. split.  It is a bit expensive but may be worth the price.

Check out the website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

First day in Tokyo went well.  One of the stations, however, has a long slope that was technically too steep for the scooter.  With the help of my guide and my husband they were able to apply enough push power to my back to keep me moving up the slope.   Since the seat folds down there is no way to push on the chair, but we didn’t test that here, we already knew it.  As a solo, in general, one would not be able to get out alone in Winter Park.  There are some sidewalks in the area that have short sections of steep, but I made those because of the length of the slope was quite short. 

As for looking for scooters, yes they do all run together!  I would note that my husband found the ability to drag the transformer like luggage was a bit uncomfortable as it was a bit short and he is under 6 ft!   The Triaxe Tour and Sport are a bit longer and don’t fold in half so they are not as compact.  Both are also three wheelers so they have tighter turning radiuses.  The guide was amazed at how tight I could turn.  

It’s worth noting too that the subway gap in one station was a step up but all were a bit wide.  The station people will help with a ramp, but it takes time to do that getting on.  To get off they ask where you want to get off and meet you there with the ramp.   Since I can walk short distances I would have just rolled the scooter over the threshold being sure to lift the front wheel over the gap.  Since I was alone others did it.  

how was the rest of your vacation. and how did the scooter hold up.

2 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

how was the rest of your vacation. and how did the scooter hold up.

Oh my!   I had a total of 3 flat tires, and one tire falloff!!!   I’m a firm believer now of non pneumatic tires. 

The repairs got easier and cheaper, but finding repair shops was problematic.  The last flat was a broken stem in Vietnam where there were thousands of motor scooters.  In a market area about a block from where I had the flat there was a tire guy who patched the tube and replaced the stem in about 10 minutes!   The fall off happened aboard ship.  I nut had gone missing, which we couldn’t find a replacement about the time of the last flat.  The other nut was slowly coming undone and did as the scooter was being lifted!  The nut and lock washer were right there and a quick Assembly was preformed, but a wrench was nowhere to be found! 

On the flight home my headlight was broken by the airlines too.

all in all I didn’t miss any of the trip except a chance togo out on a transition day.  

Would i I recommend the scooter again?  With some caveats yes.  There just aren’t that many scooters that hold over 250lbs, including your carryon luggage.  AND we met someone that had a scooter that the airlines had broken the toggle control that allows you to go forward and backwards.  It was not repairable in Hong Kong and was thus shipped back home, by the airlines.  He had a walker but clearly had difficulties walking at all.  I assume he didn’t do any tours.  

I have become more cautious of the terrain even though i travelled European cobblestones with little problems other than a bent tip caster.  We’ve also decided to find more tools and spare parts to carry in the future, which is a pain.   

Meanwhile im still able to use my scooter and enjoy being more mobile.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, jasm8449 said:

My Smartscoot weighs 39 pounds. The seat can easily be removed and then the heaviest piece is 27 pounds.  This works well for putting the scooter in the trunk of a sedan or small car.  I have an SUV, and that allowed me to install a Bruno scooter lift, which I operate with a remote control when DH is not around to lift it into the car.

I've been looking at the smart scoot. Is there anything you don't like about it?

9 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Oh my!   I had a total of 3 flat tires, and one tire falloff!!!   I’m a firm believer now of non pneumatic tires. 

The repairs got easier and cheaper, but finding repair shops was problematic.  The last flat was a broken stem in Vietnam where there were thousands of motor scooters.  In a market area about a block from where I had the flat there was a tire guy who patched the tube and replaced the stem in about 10 minutes!   The fall off happened aboard ship.  I nut had gone missing, which we couldn’t find a replacement about the time of the last flat.  The other nut was slowly coming undone and did as the scooter was being lifted!  The nut and lock washer were right there and a quick Assembly was preformed, but a wrench was nowhere to be found! 

On the flight home my headlight was broken by the airlines too.

all in all I didn’t miss any of the trip except a chance togo out on a transition day.  

Would i I recommend the scooter again?  With some caveats yes.  There just aren’t that many scooters that hold over 250lbs, including your carryon luggage.  AND we met someone that had a scooter that the airlines had broken the toggle control that allows you to go forward and backwards.  It was not repairable in Hong Kong and was thus shipped back home, by the airlines.  He had a walker but clearly had difficulties walking at all.  I assume he didn’t do any tours.  

I have become more cautious of the terrain even though i travelled European cobblestones with little problems other than a bent tip caster.  We’ve also decided to find more tools and spare parts to carry in the future, which is a pain.   

Meanwhile im still able to use my scooter and enjoy being more mobile.

im glad you had a good time inspite of the scooter. i guess you were in the right place for the scooter to break down considering vn has thousands of scooters. i bet the cost was half of what the u.s. would be. i purchased a triaxe sport today for $1,000 on craigslist. its suppose to be 1 yr old . came w/the bigger sized battery and larger seat. the mans wife did not like the scooter. too fast for her. anyway, right now its in the garage being charged. hope it works for me. im excited.

9 minutes ago, 1threadshort said:

im glad you had a good time inspite of the scooter. i guess you were in the right place for the scooter to break down considering vn has thousands of scooters. i bet the cost was half of what the u.s. would be. i purchased a triaxe sport today for $1,000 on craigslist. its suppose to be 1 yr old . came w/the bigger sized battery and larger seat. the mans wife did not like the scooter. too fast for her. anyway, right now its in the garage being charged. hope it works for me. im excited.

After trying to find abicycle shop in Hong Kong that would even look at replacing a tube Vietnam had to be easier!  I was gone 63 days. 

There are times i wish wish I had the Sport especially the handbrakes!  I just couldn’t get my feet in the right place when I first tried.   You might like to know that it had a cover/suitcase sort of where the wheels stuck out and were used to roll it.  It has a luggage carrier that would have been nice too! 

Sounds like your battery is the lead battery that will give you longer distances, for sure. 

Let me know how you like it.   For what it is worth, the distributor is EMobility in Florida, near Orlando.  I believe there was a basket for it too. 

Good luck and if your a driving on uneven surfaces, watch your tires.  At least check pressure often too.  Like a car the changes in temps can matter. The 45 degree stems are pretty much required for adding air too.  

And yes it takes some getting used to to control the speed, but I can now drive it slow enough to keep up with a person with a walker.  People are often surprised, when I have the space, how fast mine will go and it only does 6 not the 12 mph the sport will do.  

Also check the side casters, they tend to bend and let bearings out on uneven pavement.  After that the don’t pivot so they slowly unscrew and bent.  I took mine off after bending the second set in 3 days.  Just be careful on slopes that run side to side ... I keep a foot ready to put down and lean uphill. 

On 8/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, jasm8449 said:

My Smartscoot weighs 39 pounds. The seat can easily be removed and then the heaviest piece is 27 pounds.  This works well for putting the scooter in the trunk of a sedan or small car.  I have an SUV, and that allowed me to install a Bruno scooter lift, which I operate with a remote control when DH is not around to lift it into the car.

I think this is the one I'm going with.

16 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

my husband took the battery off and is charging it now. the rear wheel was not moving so he unjammed that. seems it had something to do with the brake. your vacation sounds wonderful.  a true trip of a lifetime. i paid 1,000 vs 2,095 plus tax + shipping. i was annoyed it didnt work properly and am anxious to use it. but if my husband cannot fix it, i'll bring it to a shop and have they look at it. i will look at emobility. tx.

2 minutes ago, 1threadshort said:

my husband took the battery off and is charging it now. the rear wheel was not moving so he unjammed that. seems it had something to do with the brake. your vacation sounds wonderful.  a true trip of a lifetime. i paid 1,000 vs 2,095 plus tax + shipping. i was annoyed it didnt work properly and am anxious to use it. but if my husband cannot fix it, i'll bring it to a shop and have they look at it. i will look at emobility. tx.

The braking on the Sport should be an easier fix, isn’t it all handbrakes?   The distributor should be able to tell you who is local although they didn’t have my local guy, by mistake.  My local guy gave us a few discounts as I wanted an extra battery and charger.  I certainly didn’t get close to $1000 although I did go to a clearance sale at the distributor where they were selling old stock reasonably.  The model I had test driven, the transformer didn’t have a freewheel switch which was problematic at times during the rental.  

Hoping all goes well soon.