Cruise Paid Up! Now the REAL planning begins!!

niciediva007

Woo hoo! Cruise is paid up for my 40th birthday cruise this November! Going with my family of four plus our MIL on the Elation out of Jacksonville to Nassau and HMC! Faster to the fun on deck!

I have a few questions for more experienced cruisers!

We are considering taking an air mattress with us. We have a grand suite, extended balcony booked on Upper but are worried about the sleeping arrangements. My MIL is large and we were planning on making the King into two twins. One for her, one for our eldest daughter (11). Our son (9) will take the upper Pullman and we were going to use the double sofa. Not sure about the sofa?? Any advise? Bringing an inflatable with a pump might give us better sleep.

Next question...we have a Yeti 18 flip cooler. The only place we think we would need it is on Nassau. We are forgoing excursions and just heading to Junkanoo. Without a cooler I can imagine this being less enjoyable. On HMC we have a cabana and although we will have a fridge, a cooler might still be nice and easy. The question is whether Carnival will allow this cooler. It’s 13x16x10. I know what the policy states...so please don’t quote. I’m asking whether “in your experience” they are likely to send us back to our car to drop it off. We do have medical reasons for a cooler as my MIL is diabetic and must carry tons of insulin on board. This coupled with the normal reasons for a cooler, and I’m thinking we will be okay. Just curious. How serious are they about this rule? It’s a carry bag cooler and not a roller one so it’s not much larger than what they stipulate.

Thanks!

First of all, I don’t see you having any room to set up an air mattress. We shared a cabin with our (young adult) daughters once, and swore never again. Next cruise, we booked them an inside cabin across the hall, and we had the balcony. It is just way too crowded as it is to think you’d ever have floor space for an air mattress. Now, you say you have a Grand Suite, so I’m not sure what your square footage of cabin is, but I rather doubt you still will have floor space for an air mattress. As for cooler, I’d call Carnival and check with them before bringing it. I have a small soft sided insulated bag that I will throw a couple beverages and ice in the bottom of tote when going up on deck, as I have water, soda, and beer ordered to be delivered to my cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, I just checked their website for your square footage. It didn’t state footage, but it did say it was their roomiest cabin, so you may possibly have room for an air mattress. May I ask how you are going to lug it and the pump? I have an air mattress and it’s very big and bulky. I try to drag as little as possible with us when cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your Yeti cooler may not make it on board. From the Carnival FAQs:

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

I've seen piles of larger coolers left behind at the security check point at more than one port. That's not a cheap cooler, I'm not sure I would chance that.

I tried a mock booking, looks like Grand Suite was $750 and $900 for a balcony and an interior, without taxes and port charges. $150 for a second cabin seems like a bargain

I’d do it in a heartbeat. I will never share a cabin with anyone but my hubby again! Remember, there is only one bathroom, too! We will be sailing the Magic in 2020 for our 50th Anniversary, and we have suggested to family members with children to try to book adjoining cabins. That way they have more room and two bathrooms.

Your Yeti cooler may not make it on board. From the Carnival FAQs:

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

I've seen piles of larger coolers left behind at the security check point at more than one port. That's not a cheap cooler, I'm not sure I would chance that.

Gosh, I wondered about this. Okay. I think we will need have a backup cooler. We were thinking to just return to the car with it but I have never been to the Jacksonville port before so I’m not sure how convenient that would be.

I’d do it in a heartbeat. I will never share a cabin with anyone but my hubby again! Remember, there is only one bathroom, too! We will be sailing the Magic in 2020 for our 50th Anniversary, and we have suggested to family members with children to try to book adjoining cabins. That way they have more room and two bathrooms.

There were a lot of comments to this effect...getting two cabins and whatnot, but I’ll just address this one for brevity.

We originally booked a GS for only 4 people (we have two young children that we weren’t comfortable giving their own room). When we later added my MIL, carnival wouldn’t let us downgrade our current room to add a second room. The best we could do was add her to our room for $400, thus changing the spacing. So, we are stuck in a Grand Suite...though I’m not too worried. I’m a pretty organized mom (anal retentive) and do well with planning showers and room time when we do things like this for my sanity’s sake.

My original question about the mattress...I think I’ll withdraw. Based on your responses it seems like overkill and a nightmare. I was thinking to carry it on in luggage, and then pop it out using the pump and lay on the floor. I’ve heard of others doing this but not sure I want to bother either the hassle and the wasted luggage space for all my extra shoes and swimsuits! Lol

There were a lot of comments to this effect...getting two cabins and whatnot, but I’ll just address this one for brevity.

We originally booked a GS for only 4 people (we have two young children that we weren’t comfortable giving their own room). When we later added my MIL, carnival wouldn’t let us downgrade our current room to add a second room. The best we could do was add her to our room for $400, thus changing the spacing. So, we are stuck in a Grand Suite...though I’m not too worried. I’m a pretty organized mom (anal retentive) and do well with planning showers and room time when we do things like this for my sanity’s sake.

FYI - there should be showers at the fitness center changing rooms that are typically larger than cabin showers. Might help some with the congestion.

If by the double sofa you mean it breaks out into a double bed, why not give that to your MIL as I would think a double bed would be plenty big, the kids take the upper and lower Pullmans and you take the king. You and hubby sharing a double sofa bed will make for a long week. I may be reading the bed configuration all wrong especially about the pullmans, hope not.

• 2 weeks later...
If by the double sofa you mean it breaks out into a double bed, why not give that to your MIL as I would think a double bed would be plenty big, the kids take the upper and lower Pullmans and you take the king. You and hubby sharing a double sofa bed will make for a long week. I may be reading the bed configuration all wrong especially about the pullmans, hope not.

In our suite there is no lower Pullman. Just the upper. So we have two twins or a King, a double sofa, and one Pullman...to sleep 5 max.

If the mattress on the sofa bed is a worry, ask room steward for foam pad. Also HMC cabanas have a small refrigerator and a ice chest with your sodas and waters and lots of ice :)

I’ll do just that and request a pad. But, I’m not so worried about the mattress. I’m getting old but not so old I can’t handle a tough mattress. Lol.

I’m thinking we will leave the yeti, and just grab a cheap $30 cooler and use it for nassau. I may just forget the cooler altogether though since we will mostly be buying food and drinks from vendors. My MIL might need a small pack for her meds but that’s it, as I think more about it.

Carnival will store and refrigerate the insulin for you in there medical center. Just give them a call ahead of time.

I didn’t know that. But, I was thinking of the port days when we will be away from the ship. She’s got to have it all day (she’s insulin dependent). In the room we have a fridge, I believe.