Getting Real - Questions

Shore>Mom

Booked on Sky November 5. Always been on the bucket list to see Cuba. Did my Senior College thesis on the historical basis for the rise of Castro. Nerd alert and more importantly, what the heck was I thinking?? Any replies greatly appreciated.

1. Travelling with the hubs and my 2 teens. 18 yo high school senior and 15 yo daughter. Are my kids going to be the only ones on this boat? Not a biggie but my daughter might want to mingle.

2. Staying in Fort Lauderdale for one night pre cruise. 17th St. causeway area. Wanted my guys to see Lauderdale from a water taxi. SAS for shuttle to POM the next day. Any suggestions for dinner on water taxi route? Not a fan of chain restaurants.

3. Doing a tour with Blexie. Not sure about exchanging money. If I exchange $400 and don't spend it all will I be able to exchange it back into US? If I do that will I lose money in the exchange rate 2x? First trip to a country that doesn't take US so sorry if I sound like an idiot lol.

4. Flight out of FLL at 2:15. What is the latest we can disembark?

Very excited. Both kids are close to fluent so this should be a great time for them.

Booked on Sky November 5. Always been on the bucket list to see Cuba. Did my Senior College thesis on the historical basis for the rise of Castro. Nerd alert and more importantly' date=' what the heck was I thinking?? Any replies greatly appreciated.

[i']My comments are in-line:[/i]

1. Travelling with the hubs and my 2 teens. 18 yo high school senior and 15 yo daughter. Are my kids going to be the only ones on this boat? Not a biggie but my daughter might want to mingle.

Nope. There have always been some young adults on the cruises I've taken. I am pretty sure this one won't be any different. Lots of families do cruise.

2. Staying in Fort Lauderdale for one night pre cruise. 17th St. causeway area. Wanted my guys to see Lauderdale from a water taxi. SAS for shuttle to POM the next day. Any suggestions for dinner on water taxi route? Not a fan of chain restaurants.

3. Doing a tour with Blexie. Not sure about exchanging money. If I exchange $400 and don't spend it all will I be able to exchange it back into US? If I do that will I lose money in the exchange rate 2x? First trip to a country that doesn't take US so sorry if I sound like an idiot lol.

It takes about 45 minutes to get from the port to FLL depending on traffic. Generally there is plenty of transportation available at the port. So disembarking at 9:30 - 10 a.m. should give you plenty of time to get to the port. I am not sure about any customs delays at the port but, then, I'm a worry wort.

Very excited. Both kids are close to fluent so this should be a great time for them.

Enjoy your cruise!

MD

We got a Mastercard from Stonegate Bank, a US bank (Pompano Beach, FL) whose cards were approved for use in Cuba. We took it along for use in emergencies, but did not need to use it. The same 10% surcharge would have been imposed, from what they told us. This was over a year ago. Stonegate Bank has apparently been acquired by Centennial Bank. It's not clear if they have continued to issue cards that work in Cuba.

Booked on Sky November 5. Always been on the bucket list to see Cuba. Did my Senior College thesis on the historical basis for the rise of Castro. Nerd alert and more importantly' date=' what the heck was I thinking?? Any replies greatly appreciated.

Very excited. Both kids are close to fluent so this should be a great time for them.[/quote']

When in Ft. Lauderdale we enjoy staying at the old Pier 66 Resort Marina.......now the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six or the Hilton directly across the inter-coastal waterway. Both are regular stops for the water Taxi. Best route.....I think is going from the hotel, either, to the Galleria Mall............we really don't buy anything there $$$$ but the ride is nice. Personal best restaurant is 15th Street Fisheries, also a water taxi stop, but it is located next to the Hilton and again across the intercostal from Pier 66..........

Enjoy the cruise!!

If you change your US $$ to Canadian or Euros you will not loose the 10% off the top when getting CUC. You will loose a little on the transaction at your bank here as well as the Cuban exchange office but no where near the 10 % they take on US$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the math on the whole trade to Euros or Canadian dollars and then switch to CUC in Cuba. In the end, it would have saved me about $25 on the exchange of $500- so that may be worth your time or not.

I was in Cuba and did a tour with one of Blexie's guides (Raul) a few weeks ago. We ran out of CUC due to a large cigar purchase for a friend, and we were able to make some transactions in USD. Cubans can apparently make the exchange without the 10% penalty (??)- so I think most are willing to take USD at a .97 exchange rate. This is not necessarily the case in stores. In the end, I'd say it is better to under exchange and bring extra USD than to over exchange and risk the money changing being closed. CUC cannot be exchanged in the US (not sure about other countries).

We were on the Sky. It was early September and I saw very few kids or teens. We popped into the teen lounge once passing by and it was empty. I would say they should be prepared for not having a crew of kids to hang out with- but they could be pleasantly surprised if there are some there. It is a short cruise- so maybe just a little more family time.