Are port talks just infomercials?

Maplemoose

Actually, almost anything that comes out of a CD's mouth is pure shilling, maybe except for the time to be back on board. As soon as a CD says "This is something you will not want to miss" I know whatever follows is an advertisement, infomercial, paid commercial attempt to get more money for the cruise line and I can safely tune it out.

This is true for any of the mass market lines, not just Carnival.

We did experience once a different port talk. John Lawrence of Princess, since retired, on a Baltic cruise not only described the ship's excursions but also gave information on doing the ports on your own.

Bear in mind this is not a local jewelry store looking for a customer who will be coming back. As a result they will look to get what the traffic will bear and the quality might not be what you think it is or told what it is.

Never understood why people will buy expensive jewelry from people they will never see again.

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On NCL, port talks are nothing but shilling for the shops offering kickbacks to the cruise line. No other useful info is given. I am pretty sure Carnival would be the same but I would love to be told I am wrong. Anyone?

That has been my experience. I did notice on CCL last cruise, they had the excursion offerings on the TV so I used that as a guide for the port.

I have noticed that they don't shill over the intercom like they used to, that's something at least. I won't go to the port talks any more, if have to hear about Diamonds International ONE.MORE.TIME - gah! I went on a Celebrity cruise several years ago, no sale talks at all, it was really refreshing

its purely an infomercial. And not even any free champagne.

Speaking of which--they still do free champagne and the (also infomercial) art sale? Man I have not done that for many years...

Art sale offers the best cheapest champagne ever for those interested in spending a lot of money on art of dubious value.