Safe St Thomas beach

Luv my furbaby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We went to Sapphire based on everyone's recommendations and we were harassed by a drunk local. It was very crowded and I was not super impressed with the scenery. We are trying to find a new beach to go to. If you got to Sapphire they do have a bar/food options there and snorkeling gear for rent. 

6 hours ago, njrover0216 said:

We went to Sapphire based on everyone's recommendations and we were harassed by a drunk local. It was very crowded and I was not super impressed with the scenery. We are trying to find a new beach to go to. If you got to Sapphire they do have a bar/food options there and snorkeling gear for rent. 

Wow...very strange to read of that experience at Sapphire (harassed by a drunk local)! What was the nature of the harassment? Wondering if this was a condo renter perhaps? Locals are not normally on this beach. This is more typical of Coki...

I know more and more day visitors (cruisers) are going to Sapphire, for good reason, but there are areas to get away from the main “huddle” on busy days.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, blue_water said:

Wow...very strange to read of that experience at Sapphire (harassed by a drunk local)! What was the nature of the harassment? Wondering if this was a condo renter perhaps? Locals are not normally on this beach. This is more typical of Coki...

I know more and more day visitors (cruisers) are going to Sapphire, for good reason, but there are areas to get away from the main “huddle” on busy days.

She actually worked there. She was off that day and hanging out. When I complained to one of the workers they had said she worked there and they would have her removed. They eventually removed her. She was wasted, and just yelling out for us tourists to go back where we came from, calling people fat a$$es...on and on. We ended up going to Megan's Bay this time...very crowded...still not loving St. Thomas. 

14 minutes ago, njrover0216 said:

She actually worked there. She was off that day and hanging out. When I complained to one of the workers they had said she worked there and they would have her removed. They eventually removed her. She was wasted, and just yelling out for us tourists to go back where we came from, calling people fat a$$es...on and on. We ended up going to Megan's Bay this time...very crowded...still not loving St. Thomas. 

Thanks for the details. Strange indeed...Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties and that type of behavior just doesn’t happen there, I’m surprised she was even served or allowed to stay.

I would always recommend Sapphire, but there are also a couple less touristy beaches with food & drink and restrooms but no lounges if you want that. But STT is a busier island, and Magens and Coki are very busy.  Another great option there, if interested next visit,  is a daysail away from the crowds...

• 2 months later...

Water Island is always a fun time 🙂 You have to take a water taxi, but much less crowded normally. The excursion boats can bring a crowd but they are usually only there for a couple hours and then hop back on the boats and leave. There are two beach bar areas that you can hang out and chair/umbrellas are free and first come first serve. There is also free Wi-fi and pretty tasty food. It is worth a shot if you are looking for a change!

On 1/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, njrover0216 said:

Man, I hate to read that. We always loved Sapphire. We're heading there in a couple of weeks. I love to snorkel there. 

22 hours ago, pacarolinagirl said:

Man, I hate to read that. We always loved Sapphire. We're heading there in a couple of weeks. I love to snorkel there. 

Again that is definitely very strange (being harassed by anyone), especially at Sapphire! Hopefully this gal was a short-timer there...Sapphire is the one beach we know we can enjoy with no vendors or strangers annoying us.

As for “not super impressed with the scenery”, all I can say is WOW! We are not avid snorkelers, but we rent condos at Sapphire just for the gorgeous and stunning island views and the beautiful beach and water colors. And for day visitors, if there are many of you visiting that day there is ample room to get a nice spot away from where folks tend to congregate.

So perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or maybe when this poster was there in Jan the greenery was still recovering from Irma. But owners we’ve had the pleasure of meeting and who have seen much of the world chose to live here and we understand why!

can one rent umbrella/chaise setup at Sapphire and how much is it? How much is a taxi, if you please?

I looked up some tripadvisor pics, looks like chaises are available, but not umbrellas...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I have owned a villa on Sapphire since 1988   Over the 30+ years every few years someone comments that “they weren’t impressed with the view”. 

I have been fortunate and have traveled extensively. There are a lot of beautiful places in this world. After all my travels and all my years at Sapphire it’s still my favorite. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 11:11 AM, blue_water said:

Again that is definitely very strange (being harassed by anyone), especially at Sapphire! Hopefully this gal was a short-timer there...Sapphire is the one beach we know we can enjoy with no vendors or strangers annoying us.

As for “not super impressed with the scenery”, all I can say is WOW! We are not avid snorkelers, but we rent condos at Sapphire just for the gorgeous and stunning island views and the beautiful beach and water colors. And for day visitors, if there are many of you visiting that day there is ample room to get a nice spot away from where folks tend to congregate.

So perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or maybe when this poster was there in Jan the greenery was still recovering from Irma. But owners we’ve had the pleasure of meeting and who have seen much of the world chose to live here and we understand why!

I agree. We have always loved Sapphire and we're still planning to get in a couple of weeks. I think it is just beautiful and peaceful there. 

There is only one limited menu restaurant and one coffee shop on Sapphire Beach. There's another restaurant up the hill at Sapphire Village. Lots of restaurants in nearby Red Hook, but you need transportation to get there.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:02 AM, csj092809 said:

Water Island is always a fun time 🙂 You have to take a water taxi, but much less crowded normally. The excursion boats can bring a crowd but they are usually only there for a couple hours and then hop back on the boats and leave. There are two beach bar areas that you can hang out and chair/umbrellas are free and first come first serve. There is also free Wi-fi and pretty tasty food. It is worth a shot if you are looking for a change!

beautiful beach and not too crowded last week.

Not a fan of Sapphire or Coki for that matter but I would disagree strongly about the quality of the view. I would rate the view as excellent to semi-spectacular. Not much else to like about either IMO but the views are great.

We’re biased, having enjoyed renting condos in Sapphire, and agree wholeheartedly with Bill in post #16...The gorgeous water colors are mesmerizing and the view of the islands of the BVI perfect. Just our viewpoint of course...We actually love the BVI, but Sapphire is  the nicest beach we’ve enjoyed on STT. Magens is pretty but boring for us, and Coki is a gorgeous, intimate beach with no ships in port but just a tad busy otherwise..

• Like 1