JFK to AMS

martyap

We will be on the Brilliance, August 2019. Looks like our choice for non stop to AMS is Delta/Delta code share KLM.

There are two Delta choices that get us into Amsterdam early morning the next day. For the return home there is a 10:55am Delta flight and we are a little worried that is cutting it too close.

The next two choices home are KLM around 1pm or 3pm. Prices can change dramatically depending on which return flight you select......our r/t dates won’t be available for another 10 days.

Any thoughts, advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've had good experiences flying both Delta codeshared flights (although I've found it can get a bit tricky when booking them since both airline sites - at least for me - did not seem to work quite the same way. My problem had to do with choosing seats. If I recall correctly, I was going through RCCL's choice air program, and the agent was not able to provide me with the seats I wanted. Then I called the airline directly - it went back and forth for a bit until I got what I wanted). I've had no trouble with KLM....seems like a very dependable airline.

As to your question about choosing the 10:55 return flight - that depends, of course, on when the Brilliance docks at the end of your trip and how long the debarkation process takes. I just went through a similar thing with flights out of San Juan following a cruise on the Adventure and opted for the later flight (not sure anymore if was around 11 or close to 1). At the risk of stating the obvious, allowing more time is always better...especially with a long-haul international flight. I'd rather be at an airport early and spend some time reading than have to worry about "cutting it too close". So, depending on your ship arrival time, I'd probably opt for the 1:00 just to be safe.

Happy cruising.....if this is a Baltic cruise and you've not done one before....you'll really enjoy it!!

You are not quite at the right board - You might get ore responses for Amsterdam is this board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233.

For Transatlantic flight you need to be at AMS at least two hours prior to departure - from the pier to Schiphol Airport it will take 30 to 40 minutes by train or taxi. Normally Brilliance will arrive into Amsterdam at 6 am - so I would consider a departure at 10:55 out of AMS doable.

When flying to the USA you better be 3 hours prior at the Amsterdam airport. In summertimes often lines are long and when flying Delta you have an extra security check. However the airport is only 10 minutes by cab from the cruise terminal.

When flying to the USA you better be 3 hours prior at the Amsterdam airport. In summertimes often lines are long and when flying Delta you have an extra security check. However the airport is only 10 minutes by cab from the cruise terminal.

Thank you.....we arrive back to Amsterdam off the Brilliance on September 4th. I am guessing that will be a little more quiet than August. Since our cruise included St. Petersburg will we have to go through customs at the port?

The 10:55 flight back to JFK is a non stop Delta and the 1:30 is a non stop Delta/KLM. We are always hesitant about taking a flight that departs before noon. Just not sure if the stress is worth the chance.

There will be no customs or immigration check at the port. A quite short drive (a bit more than 10 minutes) - traffic will depend on week day - check-In at the airport will start 3 hours and end 1 hour before departure. You should easily be at the airport at 8 if Brilliance do arrive at 6:00 am - I would have no problem with a 10:55 departure.

There will be no customs or immigration check at the port. A quite short drive (a bit more than 10 minutes) - traffic will depend on week day - check-In at the airport will start 3 hours and end 1 hour before departure. You should easily be at the airport at 8 if Brilliance do arrive at 6:00 am - I would have no problem with a 10:55 departure.

Thank you.....that broadens the choices. We would have no problem self disembarking and getting off the ship no later than 7am. Would be great if our first return choice was the Delta 10:55am

I disagree. We had a poorly staffed passport check at the port...2 agents to clear 2200 people. It was a long, but fairly rapidly moving line. A quick look and a stamp.

There was no Customs check.

I disagree. We had a poorly staffed passport check at the port...2 agents to clear 2200 people. It was a long, but fairly rapidly moving line. A quick look and a stamp.

There was no Customs check.

Thanks Bruce.......do you disagree about trying to make the 10:55 flight? We would have no trouble disembarking as early as we can