Jewelry Stores

4121deere

Hello all. I am sailing on the November 29th Divina cruise to the below ports. Does anyone have any suggestions or previous dealings with any high end reputable jewelry stores at any of these ports buying authentic Rolex's? Interested in either buying one while I am there or trading one I have. I doubt any of those do a trade but you never know. I do not know for sure if you can save money other than it probably being duty free. Which could be a good savings I suppose. I am just not a frequent cruiser or one that has bought things like that while overseas. Thanks in advance.

UD34.jpg

My suggestion would be to deal with jewelry stores at home or very reputable online jewelry companies. Despite what you might hear, there are few "bargains" to be found with jewelers in the Caribbean. We used to know an excellent "high end" Brazilian jewelry company that had a store in St Thomas, but I believe they closed that store in the last few years.

There are plenty of jewelry stores in St Thomas and St Maarten and some are quite good while others prey on the ignorance of cruisers. Some of these stores actually pay cruise lines to be "recommended" on the ships and toss around the usual words like "guarantee." While it can be fun to browse in crusier-oriented stores such as Diamonds International we would not spend a penny in that place. What is interesting about those DI stores that go where the ships go is that the owners and primary business office is located in New York they do not have a store in that city. In fact, I do not think they have any stores in the mainland USA other then in some Alaskan cruise ports (which are only open during the cruise season). Its funny that some cruisers do not even wonder why all these US owned jewelry stores do not operate stores in the USA or at least maintain a US service center. . Keep in mind that if you get ripped off on an island you do not have much recourse.

You also need to be cautious about purchasing so-called "Grey Market" watches or electronics. These are usually decent brand name items (such as Rollex and Movado) that are sold without a manufacturers warranty. So if you do shop for any such items ask it has a manufacturers warranty and demand to see the certificate before you purchase.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I certainly understand buying an inexpensive trinket as a trip souvenir; however it simply blows my mind that someone would pay $1000’s for jewelry in ANY cruiseport. Most of us have access to a local, reliable, honest jeweler and when I buy any sort of fine jewelry I want to KNOW I’m not getting ripped off. And yes I’ve read testimonials online of cruisers who got great deals—I’ve also read those where people were duped.

My husband got a very good deal at Carat in ST. Martin many years ago (maybe 15). Not a Rolex, a Breitling. The watch is still running great and looks good too (but dh takes very good care of this things.).

My experience is that the most you can expect off of a Rolex is 5% … They often will give you a deal on something else, for example, they may off you a very nice bracelet for free.... just can't discount the Rolex any more.

Just know your prices before you go.

All the above information should be very informative for you.

I will add you should know the model watch you want and what it would cost you in your home town.

I saw a watch in St. Thomas that I wanted but wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not.

We were in a hurry so I didn't buy it. When we got home I (Before the internet) went into a jewelry store and told them what I had seen in St. Thomas. He looked in his catalogs and found the same watch at the same price but I had to pay sales tax.

Have fun checking as the sales people will go crazy if they think you are going to buy a Rolex.

Hello all. I am sailing on the November 29th Divina cruise to the below ports. Does anyone have any suggestions or previous dealings with any high end reputable jewelry stores at any of these ports buying authentic Rolex's? Interested in either buying one while I am there or trading one I have. I doubt any of those do a trade but you never know. I do not know for sure if you can save money other than it probably being duty free. Which could be a good savings I suppose. I am just not a frequent cruiser or one that has bought things like that while overseas. Thanks in advance.

UD34.jpg

First see how much you need to pay in your local stores. I am sure if you are in USA you will find better deal. I would not buy anything on Islands today specially Rolex .

Highly recommend Bobby's Jewelers in St Thomas. He use to own Alcaric and then joined Bobby. I had a problem once and he resolved it very quickly

We've made several jewelry purchases at Bobby's and were always satisfied. In St Maarten's we made a few diamond ring and bracelet purchases at Ballerina. We know jewels, so we can assess on the spot. I usually bring my own loupe to examine a stone.

We were able to trade in a previous purchase for an upgrade at Ballerina's.

One should do your homework prior, know what you want and how much it costs at home, and avoid the big chain jewelers. Years ago, discounts were substantial, but they are minimal today, mostly under 5% but there is no sales tax. We visited both isles after Irma/Maria and discounts were hard to find.