Wider door on Caribbean Princess?

DRS/NC

On my next cruise, I plan to rent a scooter for the first time. My TA has booked an HC cabin for me because I'll need the wider doorway for the scooter.

However, I don't need the accessible cabin facilities -- just the wider door. I don't want to take an HC cabin that I don't really need, but how do I get the scooter inside the cabin?

Does anyone know if any other Caribbean Princess cabin doors are wider than 21"? I'll gladly change cabins if possible!

[i need the scooter because I can't walk very far. Since I travel solo, a scooter is my safest choice.]

Yes, I've also poste this question on the Disabled Cruisers' forum.

Thanks!

It's not just the cabin door. Most standard cabin doors are 22 inches. Even if your scooter fits through the door it will be more difficult to maneuver and park the scooter in a standard cabin. Very little room to turn the scooter and very little room to store it. If your standard cabin was a balcony cat. cabin, it would be a tight fit to get the scooter past the end of the bed an into the open area. It will be a lot easier in a HCP cabin.

Unlike some other cruise lines, HA cabins on Princess do not have automatic doors or remote entry buttons. You are still going to need to get the door opened and make it stay open while you move the scooter in. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.

Princess offers one variety of HA cabin....so it is rather a "one size meets most needs." Some other lines (X, for instance) offer different sorts of HA cabins, recognizing that a person who needs an HA bathroom may or may not need a cabin with a wider door. They have a question form as to what you need, and three different types of cabin modifications, including one that is just "wider door,"

A friend traveling with us had a handicapped cabin and requires it. She uses a scooter. One day at sailaway she rode her scooter in to our balcony cabin. The narrow scooter she has fit through the standard door but totally blocked the hallway to the bathroom and exit. In an emergency and we would have had to exit, there was no way to easily move that heavy thing out of the way.

I understand your desire to not take a handicapped cabin away from someone that needs it and that is nice of you. However, having a scooter and leaving it in a hallway as some do, also a danger to others. Bringing inside the cabin, could be a danger to you and trap you inside in an emergency.

So best thing is take the handicapped cabin if it is available.

So many people are thoughtless and someone get those HA cabins when they don't need them.

I get really upset seeing people without assistance of any kind walk out of them. I think of all those people who can't travel because what they need not available.

I get really upset seeing people without assistance of any kind walk out of them. I think of all those people who can't travel because what they need not available.

Please be careful with your judgements. There are many types of hidden disabilities. My daughter has a disease that is progressive and will likely some day require her to use a motorized wheelchair. For now, she has multiple braces which she makes a great effort to hide under her clothes. She has a rollator (walker on wheels) and uses a wheelchair for long distances...but again, she doesn't use the rollator in her apartment at home and tries to avoid it on the ship. However, she must have the HA bathroom with a walk in shower, shower seat, and multiple grab bars, as well as bars by the toilet (and ideally a raised toiled). She cannot cruise without these. She cannot stay at a hotel room without these. Her joints dislocate with "normal" activities. She has balance problems. She has CCI. There is a long list of issues.

If a person saw her walk out of the cabin, that individual would likely think that there is "nothing" wrong with her. An average person doesn't know what to look for in her situation. You can't see how hard she is trying to look "normal."

Her situation is only one type of "invisible disability." You cannot tell whether a person needs an HA cabin by looking at them.

So many people are thoughtless and someone get those HA cabins when they don't need them.

Sometimes, it happened to us almost, the cruise line has HCP cabins open and assigns them to others. The almost is that we were assigned the cabin, but cancelled.

Please be careful with your judgements. There are many types of hidden disabilities. My daughter has a disease that is progressive and will likely some day require her to use a motorized wheelchair. For now' date=' she has multiple braces which she makes a great effort to hide under her clothes. She has a rollator (walker on wheels) and uses a wheelchair for long distances...but again, she doesn't use the rollator in her apartment at home and tries to avoid it on the ship. However, she must have the HA bathroom with a walk in shower, shower seat, and multiple grab bars, as well as bars by the toilet (and ideally a raised toiled). She cannot cruise without these. She cannot stay at a hotel room without these. Her joints dislocate with "normal" activities. She has balance problems. She has CCI. There is a long list of issues.

If a person saw her walk out of the cabin, that individual would likely think that there is "nothing" wrong with her. An average person doesn't know what to look for in her situation. You can't see how hard she is trying to look "normal."

Her situation is only one type of "invisible disability." You cannot tell whether a person needs an HA cabin by looking at them.[/quote']

I agree, it’s amazing how these medical experts judge from afar. We have a family member in the same situation.......,,I say worry about yourself. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums