docco

P&O admit switching the promised 10% 2020 discount to 5% - but won't honour the offer

I have managed to get £300 OBC (£50 per passenger for each of our 3 bookings) which, on the face of it, sounds quite good BUT 5% of the cost of those 3 bookings would have been £700. It does seem deeply unfair that you get the same £50 regardless of length or cost of cruise. I did state this to the person who called, but they are clearly working off a script and sticking to a party line. I can't be bothered to take it any further, but it does leave a nasty taste in the mouth and makes me feel a little less loyal to P&O than I have been in the past.

Just to put this straight.

What I booked:

2 nights (Guernsey) for 1 couple - Balcony, 1 person - Inside, and Me 1 couple - Suite

12 nights (Canary Islands) for 1 person - Inside and Me 1 couple - Suite

Only one to be affected if the price was wrong would be me as the only repeat customer (did 1 Xmas cruise last year on P&O) but we all got £50 OBC on all the cruises mentioned above per person. 

My Suite was £1000 cheaper than next year with Marella and £2,000 cheaper than Fred Olsen this year. So all discounts were applied, it was the wording that was wrong and it changed to reflect this. I even get a butler with P&O and the other lines don't have this service.

So being offered £50 each wasn't needed but has put them back in my good books for customer care, but the wording mistake shouldn't have happened and I did question it on launch day with my TA and P&O direct.  

16 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Just to put this straight.

What I booked:

2 nights (Guernsey) for 1 couple - Balcony, 1 person - Inside, and Me 1 couple - Suite

12 nights (Canary Islands) for 1 person - Inside and Me 1 couple - Suite

Only one to be affected if the price was wrong would be me as the only repeat customer (did 1 Xmas cruise last year on P&O) but we all got £50 OBC on all the cruises mentioned above per person. 

My Suite was £1000 cheaper than next year with Marella and £2,000 cheaper than Fred Olsen this year. So all discounts were applied, it was the wording that was wrong and it changed to reflect this. I even get a butler with P&O and the other lines don't have this service.

So being offered £50 each wasn't needed but has put them back in my good books for customer care, but the wording mistake shouldn't have happened and I did question it on launch day with my TA and P&O direct.  

It is good to see a post offering balance. I think it is quite clear that the price paid by everybody was the price P&O always intended to charge. The problem has arisen in the incorrect packaging of the price upon launch. It is the breakdown of the offer price that is incorrect, not the price itself. This appearing to be the case, the offer of a standard £50 obc to those who booked whilst the errant information about the packaging was still ‘visible’ seems fair and that is why I have accepted it even though it is much less than 5% of the price of the cruise I booked.

An alternative would be for prices to be fixed at the same level throughout the whole booking period with no obc or other offers or incentives. I can imagine the outcry if that were to be introduced.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, pete14 said:

It is good to see a post offering balance. I think it is quite clear that the price paid by everybody was the price P&O always intended to charge. The problem has arisen in the incorrect packaging of the price upon launch. It is the breakdown of the offer price that is incorrect, not the price itself. This appearing to be the case, the offer of a standard £50 obc to those who booked whilst the errant information about the packaging was still ‘visible’ seems fair and that is why I have accepted it even though it is much less than 5% of the price of the cruise I booked.

An alternative would be for prices to be fixed at the same level throughout the whole booking period with no obc or other offers or incentives. I can imagine the outcry if that were to be introduced.

I agree with you I also think that most, maybe even all, the pricing was correct, but clearly it was badly presented. When a price is discounted any customer wants to see this clearly displayed so they can appreciate the savings they have made.  P&O must have thought they were being clever by discounting the 5% applicable to everyone at source, just another example of their poor marketing.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, Selbourne said:

I have managed to get £300 OBC (£50 per passenger for each of our 3 bookings) which, on the face of it, sounds quite good BUT 5% of the cost of those 3 bookings would have been £700. It does seem deeply unfair that you get the same £50 regardless of length or cost of cruise. I did state this to the person who called, but they are clearly working off a script and sticking to a party line. I can't be bothered to take it any further, but it does leave a nasty taste in the mouth and makes me feel a little less loyal to P&O than I have been in the past.

I agree. For my 3 cruises I am £475 down after the £50 OBC per cruise. I am sucking it up and going with these bookings but on considering everything at present I feel I am not likely to book again. P&O's offering suited me well over the last 10 years (37 cruises) but it has been a constant feeling of the experience being eroded, the offering being much more expensive and considerably reduced and more becomes an extra charge. I don't mind an extra charge at all and have paid a great deal over base price in add ons to get the experience i prefer. BUT directed by a friend I looked at Crystal, a so called luxury cruise line, and my final price per day balcony stateroom cruise with P&O can to my amazement buy me a matching AI cruise with Crystal.  I'm going to give it a go for late 2020 once my final booked cruise on Iona has happened. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, bungle66 said:

I sent an email (very vague in my case because to be truthful I wasn't entirely sure if and by how much the prices had changed in the few days from release of my cruise to the date it was confirmed) voicing my dissatisfaction regarding the 10% discount to both Customer Services and Christopher Edgington. Immediate phone call from Mr Edgington's team with standard apology, a vague explanation (admitting they were wrong basically because I didn't even put any figures in my email and they never pushed me or questioned me about WHY I thought there was a discrepancy) and an offer of £50 p/p obc which I accepted. I received an email several days later from Customer Services basically fobbing me off and advising me that I had received the full 10% discount and that P&O had now changed the slightly confusing wording. No offer of any compensation from that team or recognition that I had already received a reply from the company. My suggestion is even if you are not sure you didn't receive the correct discount to just contact Mr Edgington's office. They KNOW they are in the wrong and will at the very least give you £50 each.

We have done exactly that,,,,, within a week I had a phone call from his office assuring me we had our %10 off,,,,but as a gesture of "goodwill" offered us £50 each OBC.....(we also had an extra %2 off from our TA) so we are happy.