Questions from couple that hasn’t cruised in many years

ronmar22

We have sailed on 9 previous cruises but none since 2007. We will be on the Star later this month and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to check ones emails once a day without purchasing an internet package? If I remember correctly, there was a way to visit a place on the ships where one could pay X amount to briefly access your email account. Of course, we will have our cell phones in airplane mode so that will not be an option for checking email.

2. If purchasing the PBP, there is a $12 maximum on the price of a drink. Is this $12 “before” gratuity or does the $12 limit “include the gratuity? If one ordered a drink off the menu that was $10.75 before gratuity, when gratuity added would put it over the $12 limit. How does it work? Thanks in advance for help with these questions.

We have sailed on 9 previous cruises but none since 2007. We will be on the Star later this month and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to check ones emails once a day without purchasing an internet package? If I remember correctly, there was a way to visit a place on the ships where one could pay X amount to briefly access your email account. Of course, we will have our cell phones in airplane mode so that will not be an option for checking email.

Yes, but only if you do it on shore at locations that have free wi-fi. You will have to purchase a package to use the ship's internet.

2. If purchasing the PBP, there is a $12 maximum on the price of a drink. Is this $12 “before” gratuity or does the $12 limit “include the gratuity? If one ordered a drink off the menu that was $10.75 before gratuity, when gratuity added would put it over the $12 limit. How does it work? Thanks in advance for help with these questions.

It's the menu price. So drinks that are menu listed at $12 and under are included. No further gratuity is added as you paid that when you purchased the package.

See above

There is no location ON THE SHIP where you can check internet free. There is an internet cafe that you are welcome to use, but you need an internet package to get a log on code/password. Alternatively, you can use your cell phone while in port. If the port is a US state or territory, your cell plan should work. If not, there are many locations what offer free or low cost internet while in port (buy a beverage, get internet code good all day).

The $12 is the menu price--the "before gratuity" price. There is no additional gratuity because the gratuity has already been added to the price of the package. You can get a drink that the menu shows is $12.00 on the package, but not one that is $12.01.

The PBP covers most drinks as stated above. I have found that quite a number of glasses of wine are more expensive than the $12 limit but have not found any mixed drinks that are over the $12 limit. Incidentally there also is a 15 alcohol drink limit per day. This does not apply to non-alcohol drinks such soda pop.

Thanks for the responses. As far as the availability of the Internet, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. With the drink package, was only slightly considering purchasing it but really do not think it would be to our advantage. I have done the math, using information on these boards with cocktail, beer and wine prices and very likely roll the dice and pay as we go. Thanks again for responses. I’m quite sure many things have changed in cruising since we last sailed, however, we are excited to get back to sea.

Yes, you can pay by the minute without buying a package of minutes.

The PBP covers most drinks as stated above. I have found that quite a number of glasses of wine are more expensive than the $12 limit but have not found any mixed drinks that are over the $12 limit. Incidentally there also is a 15 alcohol drink limit per day. This does not apply to non-alcohol drinks such soda pop.

If you drink 007 martinis or manhattans (they are the larger size glasses) you will find that you are limited as to which liquors you can have. In my case (manhattans) I was not able to get Bulleit or Buffalo Trace and had to make do with Jack Daniels

t