Eurodam versus Ruby Princess

julie2s

We are not first time cruisers but it will be our first time cruising to Alaska.  We are a mother/daughter celebrating our combined 100th birthday (I'm 61, she's 39) I am having trouble deciding which way to go.  I've previously sailed Holland America and am considering the Eurodam RT Seattle cruise (Glacier Bay is high on our list.) I've also sailed on Princess and am considering the Ruby Princess RT Seattle cruise as well as the cruise fare is somewhat lower.  Although the fare is a bit higher on HAL, they are offering a free Signature Drink Package versus the Princess offer of pre-paid gratuities (value of $14.50/pp/pd) I'm thinking that the HAL drink package offer is a better deal, since I'm pretty sure our bar bill will exceed $14.50 per day.  The added benefit is that the Eurodam itinerary includes scenic cruising of Stephen's passage.  Wildlife viewing is important to my daughter.  Which would you think is the better option?  Many thanks for any guidance.

1 hour ago, julie2s said:

Good evening, 

Last summer we did a week on the Ruby Princess and a week on the Eurodam - our own version of a back-to-back. I'd do the Eurodam. The Princess is nice because you go to Skagway and my husband likes to ride the train. However, the Eurodam does Sitka which is more of the "unspoiled" Alaska with no Diamonds International in sight! The Eurodam is smaller than the Ruby and we prefer the smaller ships. One item of note is to have your travel agent price out the cruise with and without the drinks package. You may find that there are significant savings. 

Karen

You didn't include a link to the itineraries so it's hard to provide feedback.

My advice is ....look carefully at each itinerary, particularly the port times.  Are you in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities.  ie a common complaint is Ketchikan from 7am-1pm.   At the most you might have 4 hrs. Will that work ?

And Victoria 6pm to midnight ?  

Did you look at RT out of Vancouver ? A more scenic route because the ships sail on the east side of Vancouver Island, so you'll be between the Island the mainland....scenic and calmer seas.  Seattle sailings go on the west side of the Island so basically open sea.